-->

New Shoes Thread

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by CLTesquire, Aug 20, 2017.

1. StephenRG

StephenRG Honors Member

United States
    New York
    Merrick
    This, soon to arrive: [​IMG]

Carmina austerity brogue on sale at SkoAB for $350. Just what I need. :) I will partly fund the purchase from the sale of shoes that seemed like a good idea at the time.

RogerP and CLTesquire like this.
  2. StephenRG

StephenRG Honors Member

United States
    New York
    Merrick
    ^^ Ordered on Tuesday, arrived today. The fit is perfect - UK10 on the Simpson last. As I am US 11 C/D I was fairly sure but it's nice to have that confirmed. And they look fantastic.

3. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
  4. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Super Member

United States
    NC
    Waxhaw
    Those sound like some cool shoes @StephenRG! I'd be interested in seeing some IRL pics if you have a chance.

5. never behind

never behind Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    That's is one impressive shoe collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Cassadine

Cassadine Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    Nothing short of astonishing; that's a labor of love right there, gentlemen.

7. CMT

CMT New Member

United States
    CA
    Silicon Valley
    These were delivered. It's been 110+ degrees here in Silicon Valley so they won't see actual wear for a while, but to a very real degree I have finally acquired what I consider to be grail-level footwear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edward Green Galway
    82 last
    Dark oak upper
    Mocha suede shaft
    Leather sole

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A HUGE thanks to RogerP who advised me on their care, and for the push to get them professionally polished. I brought them to A. Shine & Co in San Francisco for their first buffing, and I learned a lot about calf and suede care while I was there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I apologize for the abundance of pics.

They are extremely comfortable. They wear much lighter than my other boots, the majority of which are shell cordovan, and the suede shaft contributes greatly to both their comfort and light weight.

I have very high arches and the 82 last accommodates my foot perfectly, with enough room in the toe box to avoid constriction and a firmly anchored but comfortable heel.

For a first foray into Edward Green, I could not be happier. The Galway's fit, finish, material and construction quality makes for a beautiful boot and I definitely understand what all the fuss is about.

For those who observe the holiday, I hope everyone is having a fun and safe Labor Day Weekend.

CLTesquire likes this.
  8. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Those are absolutely beautiful! I've been on the fence about mixed materials in boots but these have pushed me in the direction on wanting a pair!

9. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    Those are stunning boot. Wear them well.

Just one question. With all the care and legendary effort E.G. Puts into finishing their boots, why do a new pair out of the box need a professional buffing?

10. CMT

CMT New Member

United States
    CA
    Silicon Valley
    Thank you and agreed! I was not a fan of the look myself, at least not initially when I started down this rabbit hole, but it's funny how perspectives change over time.

I am happy to lay all blame on Roger and his ridiculously compelling photos. Every time I'd search Google Images for Galway photos, his would show up to torment me.

Thanks!

They needed nothing. I took a luxury day trip to San Francisco to have my luxury boots polished and learn more about calf and suede care, of which I knew little as most of my closet is shell cordovan.

They came back superduper shimmeringly shiny, much more so than out of the box, and there was much rejoicing.

In fact it's time to ramp up the rejoicing as the Labor Day festivities begin - Have a great one, all!

Edit -

I was trying to be funny and I fear that my response reads far too prickly.

Before delivery, I PM'd Roger asking about his Galway shoecare methods since his boots are always so shiny and wonderful. He mentioned that he had his pair professionally polished and it left them shined to a degree that was relatively easy to maintain going forward.

These represent my first foray into this level of footwear and I wanted to "do it up." This included visiting A. Shine & Co. as I'd heard great things about their service and I had quite a few questions on the longterm maintenance of both suede and calf, neither of which I own in abundance.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017