New boots arrived. Shoe tree question.

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by DRWWE, Aug 15, 2017.

1. DRWWE

DRWWE Senior Member

United States
    CA
    Redding
    I just bought my first pair of dressier boots, Crockett and Jones Northcote (pic from Ben Silver).
    [​IMG]

I'm ordering shoe trees for them and wonder if regular trees will do or if I need something special for boots, like these:
    http://www.woodlore.com/shoe-trees-inserts/mens-cedar-shoe-trees/the-boss-boot-tree/
    I can't tell if these trees would be hard to insert.

They also make these:
    http://www.woodlore.com/shoe-trees-inserts/mens-cedar-shoe-trees/mens-cedar-boot-tree-pair/

What do most of you do with your boots?

Btw, the boots are really nice and were very comfortable right out of the box. Dainite soles, finished beautifully.

WDG likes this.
  2. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    Excellent choice! Regular shoe trees will work just fine -particularly with derby boots that provide a wider opening.

3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    First I will admit to never having used boot trees, but I can plainly see the benefit of such trees for some boots, notably, those with a longer shaft. However the boots at issue (Which are extremely handsome!) don't have such a shaft, and in an earlier era might be described as high top shoes, or simply shoes when that was the norm.

Because of the nature of these boots, and my familiarity with using shoe trees, my initial efforts would be to insert a good pair of shoe trees. And only if I felt they weren't doing the job, would I then experiment with boot trees. I see little to be lost as I can't imagine shoe trees alone not being beneficial.

However it's been a long time since I've purchased trees as I have a goodly supply. Those purchased most recently haven't been as satisfactory as the design which used to be ubiquitous. Searching available models based upon my 30+ years experience using them yielded the following model, and should I need to purchase trees in the future, I shall try these.

(When I purchased my recent Rancourt pennies, I noticed they also sell them. I believe Cedar Lane makes them.)

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/accessories/shoe-care/cedar-shoe-trees-solid-toe.html
    [​IMG]

4. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    My first thought is to just get what C&J recommends but then that north of $100.

Like Roger said, regular shoe trees should work. The uppers aren't given to as much torque and loading as the lower portion of the boot. If you're really concerned, stuff news print down the throat of the boot once the trees are in.

By the way, a very handsome boot! C&J knows how to make boots and at first glance, these are no exception.

5. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    I have not tried Woodlore' new boot trees with that shaft support feature. I have not found any problem with the boot's shafts needing support, though if I did, I would simply insert the cardboard shapers that came with the boots at the time of purchase, or as SG suggests, stuffing them with paper.

When in storage my boots all have trees in them and I do support the shafts with paper or the cardboard shapers.

I began using Woodlore's regular boot trees (the second one you referenced) soon after beginning my boot collection, and they are in all my boots, be they Chukkas, ankle, or high boots. I find they fill out the vamp better than shoe trees, and give it visibly different support. Despite their appearance on the Woodlore site, they do not curve up precipitously at the toe, which might make one believe they were only appropriate for Western boots. Rather the bottom front is carved in a concave fashion, while the top front half is almost flat, with a very gentle upward curve. They fit well into all my derby and bal boots, and IMO are preferable to shoe trees. Prior to using them I could detect a slight sag in the boots vamps with shoe trees, which is completely supported with the boot trees. Now I doubt if it would make any real diffference, as when worn, my foot would fill out the vamp and support it, but I feel better knowing they are supported between wears to prevent creasing or sagging. They spend about 180 days in a box, 180 days on the shelf, and only 5-6 days supported by my feet for 12 hours. So they have the boot tree support 99% of the time.

Just my opinion based on my use, YMMV.

6. Chris Giakoumakos

Chris Giakoumakos Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Tampa
    United States
    Florida
    Tampa
    I got no clue about shoe trees, but those boots! wow! wow buddy!

7. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    I quite agree. A sleek pair of of brown derby boots can serve well in a broad range of roles, and this is a very handsome pair.

8. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    I've used boot trees in my western boot designs, but just the regular shoe trees in my Chelsea, and Chukka boot designs. I found that over time the 'low quarter' shoe trees did not remain properly seated in shafted boot designs.

9. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    @DRWWE What size are those boots? I have a few pairs of Woodlore boot trees and would part with a pair if they are the correct size.

10. DRWWE

DRWWE Senior Member

United States
    CA
    Redding
    US size 12.