Looking for (2) pairs of versatile shoes for a business casual office...

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by LookinSharp24, Jun 19, 2017.

1. LookinSharp24

LookinSharp24 Well-Known Member

i am thinking a PTB and a Chukka

thoughts on these two and advice on decent brands that won't break the bank?

does AE have a decent PTB? anyone else?

2. SG_67

SG_67 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a chukka but why a PTB? Why not a short of long wing blucher?

Practical doesn't have to mean boring.

3. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur<br>Moderator

AE's Leeds design is an excellent choice for a PTB. They also offer chukka boot designs that can frequently be found on sale! Good luck in your hunt. :thumbs-up:

4. Dmontez

Dmontez Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  5. Maljunulo

Maljunulo Well-Known Member

Monk straps?

6. kendallr88

kendallr88 Well-Known Member

Agreed, if I were to purchase a PTB, it would have to be the AE Leeds suede offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Flanderian

Flanderian Well-Known Member

8. LookinSharp24

9. momsdoc

momsdoc Well-Known Member

??????
    You're an active member for over 4 years. I've read your posts. ???? You're asking FLANDERIAN if he prefers Sanders and Sanders????

Is the Pope Catholic?

10. Flanderian

I'm pre-business casual, so I guess the answer to whether they would work in business casual depends upon your interpretation of it. I know they would work an any I might construe. Both are entirely suitable for wear with anything from khakis to sport jackets and dress slacks. Sanders makes a very nicely finished shoe.

Trickers is substantially more, and while obviously a fine shoe, many feel it may be somewhat overpriced for what it is. I haven't bought Barker or Loake 1880 recently. I know and trust Sanders. They make a quality, comfortable shoe that is an outstanding value, and I know that each shoe is made entirely in Rushton, Northamptonshire. Barker has some nice looking shoes, and some strange looking shoes. Some are obviously off-shore, and I had read some time ago that much of the content even of those labeled made in England, may not be. Evidently Loake's 1880 is, and I know Shaver loves them. I have no reason to think they're not a decent shoe, and the also offer good value. But I generally prefer the look of Sanders.

If you like any of the Barker or 1880 shoes, I won't try to talk you out of it, but I don't have a comfort level with them, and I've been very pleased with Sanders. And from friend momsdoc, I have little reason to doubt his assertion that both Carmina and Yanko offer very fine quality and value for quality also.

See below -

:redface: :redface: :redface:

Edit: Oh! And Sanders makes the dress shoes for the Royal Navy. :biggrin:

11. LookinSharp24

awesome explanation and you've convinced me to hone in on Sanders.

though i am also going to give Herring and Heschung a look too (any additional knowledge on these guys?)

12. Flanderian

While I've yet to order through them, from all accounts, and there have been many, Herring is a fine quality retailer that offers good value in a wide variety of footwear from various, mostly English, makers. I'm sorry, but I know nothing of Heschung.

Again I emphasize there are many possible good choices, I've just found a comfort spot with Sanders. But yet, both a pair of shoes I've ordered, and a pair of boots I'm contemplating are not Sanders. The first being Rancourt and the second Meermin.

13. delicious_scent

delicious_scent Well-Known Member

PTB doesn't necessarily mean boring. Leeds in tan or merlot/oxblood would look great and not boring at all. Here is another one from Grant Stone in a darker CXL leather, and another in tan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Which is why I'm frustrated at AE offering bad looking designs and dropping their nicer looking shoes. I haven't seen the regular Leeds on the website for a while.
    I've heard about this one, and apparently it's really comfortable too.

OP, also check out this thread, it's relevant to what you're looking for. As to the UK shoes, also take a look at Cheaney, they love using grained leather.

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com...ancourt-and-Co-Meermin-or-Grant-Stone-Blucher

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  14. LookinSharp24

thoughts on these? mark mcnairy (made by Sanders) for $150...

[​IMG]

15. momsdoc

momsdoc Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because the contrasting color of the welt gives it the appearance of being very wide, but those, I would classify as running boards. They're just too prominent for my tastes. Now if you were to do that with a Goyser stitch, that's a different ballgame.

How about a nice double sole gunboat? The AE MacNeil is a fine iteration of that style. But don't ever break the bank on clothing purchases. There are many more important uses for your money. You can pick up a nice Meermin long wing, or short wing for less than half the MSRP of the MacNeil, and comparable quality. The Hiro last fits like an AE 7 last, but toe box width falls between their D and E.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  16. LookinSharp24

trickers ~$250 on sale:
    [​IMG]

17. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I could not agree more.

[​IMG]

18. Lucido

Lucido Member

I'd second the recommendation for Sanders. It was Flanderian's review of the 'Reggie' PTB that caught my eye when I was originally researching the brand and I have been very pleased with the three or four pairs I've bought since.

I have the chukka variant (Harry) of the Sanders Jack shown above and they're a great shoe - soft, supple suede in a beautiful shade of snuff along with an eye-catching natural welt and comfortable red-brick soles. The STET last runs true to size and has a very attractive chisel toe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Audi S5 TC

Audi S5 TC Well-Known Member

What does PTB stand for?

20. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur<br>Moderator

PTB: Plain Toe Brogue.