light/sky blue braces and bow tie...

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by chris jones, Sep 8, 2017.

1. chris jones

chris jones Starting Member

England
    Lancashire
    Manchester
    Morning all,

First post on here. I am after some advise so I don't completely mess up. Im getting married next year and the colour scheme is sky blue. I am wanting the best man, ushers etc to wear sky/light blue braces and bow tie however I am unsure what is best to wear with it. What colour trousers would match the ebst, brown or black shoes, any other accessory to go with.

Or am I wide of the mark and need to go with something completely different that will smash the look.

Kind Regards
    Chris

2. Hockey Tom

Hockey Tom New Member

United States
    Oklahoma
    Tulsa
    Braces will not be seen under the jackets, so their color is irrelevant.

The rest of the outfit would be better determined by the time and location of the wedding. Can you provide details of this?

3. chris jones

England
    Lancashire
    Manchester
    The wedding is on the 5th August. Location is a place called Ribby Hall which is in the NW of England. The Ushers will not be wearing jackets so they will match the bow ties

4. FLMike

FLMike Honors Member

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    If they're not wearing jackets, I wouldn't have them wear ties.

5. chris jones

England
    Lancashire
    Manchester
    if you read the original post they are not wearing ties they are wearing bowties

6. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    A bow tie is a type of tie.

To answer one of the questions in your original post, yes, you are wide of the mark. Dressing them in bow ties and braces but no jacket is like dressing them as children. If these are adults, I think you should dress them with more respect. I'd put them in grey suits and black shoes (as long as you are also wearing black shoes).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    graysuit and Cawood like this.
  7. FLMike

FLMike Honors Member

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    Seriously?

Cawood likes this.
  8. deandbn

deandbn Active Member with Corp. Privileges

South Africa
    Natal
    Durban
    Will the wedding be held during the summer months, and what time of day.. as in morning/noon/night.
    I presume long sleeve white shirts with turndown collars will be worn. Is that correct?
    I would think a fairly dark blue suit would work well with sky blue accessories..
    If you are English and wearing a blue suit, I would wear black shoes.
    Will the bows be plain or patterned, and textured or satin finish?
    What about pocket squares?

9. Cassadine

Cassadine Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler

Just curious--why does his being English weigh in as a factor? Not being persnickety; I'm just curious if the Brits don't wear black shoes with blue suits.

Fraser Tartan likes this.
  10. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    Traditionally the English wear only black shoes with blue and grey suits, but it's possible the recent trend to wear tan shoes with everything has made it there too.

11. Cassadine

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    Yes, thank you. I've always preferred black as the safe bet. But the other gentlemen's advice--and maybe I'm reading it incorrectly-- seemed to indicate that Americans (?) wouldn't do the same in that given situation. Hence, my confusion.

12. London380sl

London380sl Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Ben with 10 groomsmen.png View attachment 17968 Chris. If your colour scheme is light blue I'd go with light grey slacks and black shoes. Sorry couldn't find with baby blue suspenders.

If you want alternate ideas your best bet is to go to Google Images and type in "Groomsmen in suspenders". You will get a whack of pictures to look at for inspiration.

When I first read your post I thought it was a bit of a bonker idea but after looking at some of pics I can see the merit of this idea for a summer wedding. Not the way I'd would go but its not my wedding.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  13. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    Currently, black shoes are unfashionable in the US. Some people think I'm crazy for wearing black shoes with anything other than black trousers.

Cassadine likes this.
  14. Cassadine

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    That party definitely has the advantage of youth, with a just a touch of hipster added on top.

15. Cassadine

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    I see your in the City. I'm from the NY metro area but haven't lived there in years. Out near Pittsburgh, black isn't a problem as far as I can tell.

16. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    Black used to be the thing here. Now brown and tan shoes dominate. You'd find even here that many will rarely or never wear black shoes. Just ask Andy! There's a lot of dislike for black shoes here and on other menswear forums, as well as in fashion magazines.

17. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    And black suits, navy trousers and a whole bunch of other choices some people are silly enough to obsess over. iGentry is a plague.

18. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    And black suits, navy trousers and a whole bunch of other choices some people are silly enough to obsess over. iGentry is a plague.

19. Cassadine

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    "iGentry"? As in Internet warriors who think they're feudal lords?

20. Cassadine

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    As for magazines, well, that's not much of an issue for me. But really? In the finance industry black shoes are passe? I have a cousin who's a commodities broker and a friend who works at the Fed; I might ask them about this. They'll l likely think me crazed.