Leatherfoot Store in Toronto - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by wooltie, May 19, 2017.

1. wooltie

wooltie New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    What are your thoughts on this store? I don't find their mark-up on clothing to be excessive and they are always very nice and polite when I am in there browsing or trying on ties. I can't imagine rent must be cheap and they have a full time "master tailor" and a lot of staff...must be expensive.

2. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    You might try a search here on the retailer's name. If my memory is correct, esteemed member RogerP had purchased from them, and thought highly of them.

3. Dmontez

Dmontez Super Member

United States
    Texas
    Corpus Christi
  4. wooltie

wooltie New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Wow...Just...Wow...I read the entire "saga" and to me it sounds like LF is a business where the owner doesn't delegate adequate responsibilities to his staff yet is not present enough to run the business so the entire operation is on auto-pilot headed headed off a cliff. You can easily tell that the house that they rent/own space in costs in the millions and they have *far* too many full-time staff (ranging from graphic designers, seamstress'/tailors, "operations")...it's a bit much.

However, when I go in there they are very polite. An amusing note is that it seems like a lot of the big euro tie makers (like E.G. Cappelli and Viola Milano) send them stock which they themselves have trouble selling. For example, 3.5-3.75" wide ties, fabrics/construction that more resemble a scarf than a tie, over the top madder, the list goes on. It also seems like they can't move inventory, which also makes sense why they no longer have a business relationship with St. Crispins and are now selling Alden and Crockett and Jones.

5. wooltie

wooltie New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Wow...just...wow...I read the entire "saga" and to me it sounds like Leather Foot is a business where the owner doesn't delegate adequate responsibilities to his staff yet is not present enough to run the business - the entire operation is on auto-pilot headed headed off a cliff! You can easily tell that the house that they rent/own space in costs in the millions and they have *far* too many full-time staff (ranging from graphic designers, seamstress'/tailors, "operations people")...it's a bit much.

However, when I go in there they are very polite. An amusing note is that it seems like a lot of the big euro tie makers (like E.G. Cappelli and Viola Milano) send them stock which they themselves would have trouble selling. For example, 3.5-3.75" wide ties, fabrics/construction that more resemble a scarf than a tie and would only work in a very hot climate, over the top madder, the list goes on. It also seems like they can't move inventory, which also makes sense why they no longer have a business relationship with St. Crispins and are now selling Alden and Crockett and Jones.

6. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    They have a pair of Alden unlined suede chukkas that are calling my name at present. I missed out on a recent 20% discount offer for past customers - just too busy to get to the store,

7. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    For the record, I don't recall you having any difficulty in your dealings with them, did you?

8. Dmontez

Dmontez Super Member

United States
    Texas
    Corpus Christi
    I don't want to talk you out of a purchase, but you have the saint Cristin's suede chukkas, although they aren't unlined can you see yourself reaching for the Alden's over the Crispins?

9. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    No problems over multiple purchases over many years.

As to the Alden unlined suede chukka - it's a far more casual option than the St. C. calf pair that I own - no real overlap, in my view.

10. winghus

winghus Senior Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Greensboro
    Having read both Dmontez and RogerP posts about the place I would restrict my dealings with them to buying items they have on hand in the store itself. It would take a very long time to rebuild trust if I had gone through that St.C order that way.