How to wear a polo coat (photos)...

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Doctor Damage, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Connoisseur

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    You're right about super-long floor-sweeping coats being a thing of the past and my instinct tells me we won't see their like again. I'm glad I picked up one of the last of BB's double-breasted long polo coats, just as they introduced the new shorter ones, even though I haven't worn it yet (I should sell it, but I'll never get what I paid, even though I got it on sale). Of course, with good proportions, a short overcoat doesn't have to be awful, and if you get in and out of cars a lot it can be convenient. Here's a short one (B&Tailor) which I think looks pretty good, mainly because it has good proportions and doesn't look like a long coat which has had the hems chopped off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Doctor Damage

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    [​IMG]

3. Green3

Green3 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    NNW
    Oceanside
    Are the PRL and O’Connell’s models still full length?

4. Doctor Damage

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Based on photos, yes, it appears so, although the PRL coat always came just below the knee (see below). The PRL one hasn't changed in years, although this year or maybe last year they added black watch tartan under the collar so when you flip the collar up you can see it, but honestly I don't believe in flipping up the collar so it's not a deal-killer.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  5. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I looked there as well as other places.
    But none of these are mid calf - I did find on the RL website a 45 3/4 body length coat but it isn't available.

https://www.ralphlauren.com/men-clothing-outerwear/polo-camel-hair-topcoat/406298.html

6. Doctor Damage

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Mid-calf is more of an 80s/early 90s length (when everything was long) and just-below-the-knee is the proper non-fashion timeless length for a traditionally styled man's overcoat. It's a length which shows up again and again in real-world photo over the past decade. I have a feeling you're going to disagree, though.

7. Doctor Damage

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Ralph Lauren (they did these in wool not just camel hair)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    From Xmas Eve. I've had the coat at least a decade, hence the longer length, from Brooks Bros.

IMG_7085.JPG

frydeswide likes this.
  9. Doctor Damage

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    ^ that's tremendous, uppercrust! that's the same coat I've got, thanks for posting!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    upr_crust likes this.
  10. akwmek

akwmek New Member

United States
    georgia
    atlanta
    they look real nice!