How to wear a polo coat (photos)...

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Doctor Damage, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Connoisseur

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Here's a nice photo of Lord Wodehouse wearing a polo coat, while resting. Dated January 1926.

[​IMG]

2. Doctor Damage

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    This is the current (12th) Duke of Northumberland wearing a ratty old polo coat in the field. Note torn right shoulder, and distended button holes. Note wet and smelly retreivers.

[​IMG]

3. mpcsb

mpcsb Inactive User

Excellent photos....excellent indeed.
    Cheers

4. Tom Buchanan

Tom Buchanan Super Member

United States
    Maryland
    The City
    Great pictures, thanks.

While on the topic of polo coats in pictures, I recently pulled out my "Pimm's Book of Polo" (something I bought on a lark when the second incarnation of Abercrombie & Fitch was clearing out its real stock to start selling tee shirts and thongs).

The book has a couple pictures of very stylish Indian players wearing polo coats while accepting their trophies. The pictures appear to be from the 1920s or 30s. Their coats are fully belted "wrap" style, without buttons. This makes perfect sense since they were to be thrown on between chuckers.

Since I have read that the British adopted this style from India, my guess is that the British tailors took the camel coat wrap, and added the double breasted aspects typically found on Naval great coats, or British Warms or Ulsters.

And, of course, us Americans have Brooks Brothers to thank for bringing it to here.

I just think the evolution of the coat is interesting.

5. Doctor Damage

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    More ways to wear a polo coat.

(1) As a factotum or detective shadowing Frank Costello, January 1952, New York.

[​IMG]

(2) As an aging photo-journalist shaking the hand of Frank Costello, February 1951, Washington.

[​IMG]

6. Doctor Damage

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Cheese it, it's the fuzz!

The other side of the law: Prohibition-era detectives Moe Smith and Izzy Einstein, January 1923, before and after donning disguises for infiltrating speak easy's (I'm not making this up).

[​IMG]

7. Doctor Damage

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Polo coat worn by (make-believe) ganster intimidating (make-believe) longshoreman, New York.

[​IMG]

8. mpcsb

mpcsb Inactive User

OK Doc, fess up. What's the fascination with polo coats. How many do you have, old, new, colors?

9. Doctor Damage

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Here's what appears to be a belted polo on Walter Camp, 1920, who codified the rules of football.

[​IMG]

Polo coat accessorized with rubber overshoes and team watch cap. Vince Lombardi, early 1960s.

[​IMG]

10. zegnamtl

zegnamtl Advanced Member

Doc D,

On behalf of my youngest,
    I officially file a protest against you referring to those two lovely retrievers as smelly!;)