How to tailor suit jacket sleeve?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by akwmek, Sep 13, 2017.

1. akwmek

akwmek Starting Member

United States
    georgia
    atlanta
    I have a suit that fits me pretty well overall, except that it is about 1/2 to 1 inch too long in the sleeves, just covering the shirt cuff.
    I took it to my dry cleaner who also does basic alteration, and asked her if she can shorten the sleeve a little bit, and she said she doesn't do that.

Now, I am very new to men's styles and tailoring, so please be patient with me, but is it possible to shorten the suit jacket sleeve without having the suit jacket buttons hanging around the edge of the sleeve? If so, how?

Thank you!

2. never behind

never behind New Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Any tailor or even a local seamstress should be to do this. They'll just move the buttons. This assumes you don't have working button holes on the sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Are the buttons attached or still unattached? Meaning, are the sleeves finished or just basted.
    Also, if attached, are the buttonholes functional?

4. richard warren

richard warren Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Louisiana
    covington
    If there is stitching around the button feigning a button whole it will probably be impossible to move the buttons without leaving an imprint from the stitching.

5. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
    Depends on the stitching and sometimes how old the coat is, not to mention type of cloth.

If it has working buttonholes it may need to be adjusted at the shoulder, which takes a competent tailor.