-->

How does one use a trench coat throat latch?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by MRR, Dec 22, 2015.

1. MRR

MRR Senior Member

United States
    New York
    Batavia
    I realize that nobody wants to believe me, because it makes no sense, but I will say it again;

The piece is NOT long enough for that. Not by at least eight inches.
    IMAG0518.jpg

It cannot go around the left shoulder without a different buckle. It cannot go from the existing buckle and attach to the left side without additional buttons. In the dozens of photos I have seen of Burberry's trench coats in the past week, none of them have an additional buckle or buttons (if they did, then it would make the existing ones rather silly). Likewise, I have never seen a photo of a Burberry's throat latch actually in "storm" position.

2. Searching_Best_Fit

Searching_Best_Fit Senior Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Mississauga
    OK then. Maybe we were thinking this is a throat latch, but in fact it is used for something else....

In googling around, I ran into this thread from SF about the same question. Someone raised a good idea that this piece of fabric is to help the collar stand up, not for throat latch. While in the second picture it seems to cover the little slit between the collars in the first picture, thus it provides some protection.

Link to this thread on SF: http://www.styleforum.net/t/204590/...is-particular-detailing-on-a-trench-coat-does

So now, using the second picture as a guide, if you fold the right collar (jackets), left collar, and this extra piece over in this buttoning configuration, I think there should be *some protection* along with that the collar will stand up all the time. Maybe this is the correct use of this piece of fabric?

3. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    As odd as it seems perhaps we may be obliged to consider the possibility that this is an ornamental feature? Certainly I have not encountered such a conceit previously- a trench either has a functional throat latch or not at all, in my experience.

4. Searching_Best_Fit

Canada
    Ontario
    Mississauga
    The google gave me some new links about this feature: chin strap, from women's fashion:

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=4811.0

And a flickr page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7370831@N07/sets/72157604774636872/detail/

It seems that piece should be sewn to the collar and allows you to rotate it once unbuttoned and unbuckled. Then it can connect to the buttons on the other collar and buckled it together. @MRR, in your case that thread was broken so that you can remove the whole piece.

The mystery continues.

5. MRR

MRR Senior Member

United States
    New York
    Batavia
    I just cannot accept a thread as being the answer. Things attached by loose threads are either to keep them in place (pocket flaps) or keep accessories attached to garments for retail. It makes no sense for the potential stress on a throat latch to be borne by a couple loose strands. With both buttons and a buckle securing the latch to one side, it would be all to common to have the thread break from the slightest mistake in using the latch.

Besides, I see no markings at all of where any thread would have been stitched on my coat.

I would still say that the buttons are on the incorrect collar, except then the buttonholes in the latch would be cut incorrectly. The "thread" idea works for the shape and placement of the buttonholes, but that fails for undue stress on a thread that has no evidence of ever existing.

Looks like I will have to contact Burberry for an explanation.

Given that every Burberry trench coat I have seen with a throat latch has this exact same kind, I remain stunned that nobody here can give a definitive answer. Hopefully I will be able to post it when I hear back from the company.

6. Searching_Best_Fit

Canada
    Ontario
    Mississauga
    ^ and I fully agree with you on the insufficient support for this chin strap thing that Burberry chooses to implement it. There are buttons and buckles on the other end to hold it nicely, but relies only on a single point of contact at this end, which puzzled me as this is simply the weakest point.

Maybe this is simply a design element from some odd tradition?

From some other pictures, it seems that there are throat latches implemented with hooks and eyes so the purpose of this latch seems strange.

Do let us know what the official answer from the company to enlighten us.

7. meanoldmanning

meanoldmanning Senior Member

United States
    Ohio
    Akron
    It seems to be a tiny vestigial decoration rather than a functioning throat latch/chin strap

8. MRR

MRR Senior Member

United States
    New York
    Batavia
    But it's not a decoration; it's is "stored" under the collar where nobody can see it.

Maybe, just maybe, it becomes more useful when the wool collar is added.

9. phyrpowr

phyrpowr Honors Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Charlotte
    I think you're right. Without sewing the buttons onto the left collar, no way this thing closes the throat gap. Plus, a working latch should be quick and obvious.

PS I'm even more puzzled by the fact that buttons on the left collar point would make this work just fine.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  10. MRR

MRR Senior Member

United States
    New York
    Batavia
    It would make it work adequately. The buttonholes would still have the rounded part on the incorrect side of the hole.