how do you keep your shoes from smelling bad?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by illmaticnyc, Apr 1, 2008.

1. chava

chava Active Member with Corp. Privileges

smell

Oh yes... and rotate between at least 3 or more pairs of shoes. You must give time for the cedar trees to absorb moisture and odors, and you must allow the leather to dry out and reshape.

2. Orsini

Orsini Honors Member

United States
    California
    Lawndale
    I use bowling shoe spray, ceder shoe trees, and soak my prescription orthotics in soap-and-water with baking soda added.

3. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    I have never noticed an odor, even in boat shoes which I wear sockless. Maybe it’s the daily shower? Since using cedar shoe trees, my shoes look better, but there was no smell to begin with. Must be lucky not to have stinky feet.

In my job I have naked feet a few inches from my nose every day, all day long. Very rarely is there an odor. When there is, it’s usually the rare, rude patient who hasn’t bathed before coming to see me. Considering my job, I do not comprehend how anyone could do that.

4. Cassadine

Cassadine Senior Member

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    Touch of fresh baby powder has always worked for me.

5. Cassadine

Cassadine Senior Member

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    Others have mention cedar tress--worthy advice. It's bit of a chore, but I remove the laces and let them air out for at least an hour before inserting the trees.

6. Barrister & Solicitor

Barrister & Solicitor Super Member

Canada
    Québec
    Montréal
    I've never removed laces from shoes just for purposes of using shoe trees. Quite the contrary in fact: I remove the shoes and insert trees without fuss within seconds.

7. Cassadine

Cassadine Senior Member

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    I'm glad it works for you. Even if I do not remove the places, due to laziness etc., I do let them air our first. It's how I was taught and somethings stick with you. Like terminal prepositions; in English they're "acceptable", but their evil was simply drummed into me!

8. Adelstensfostre

Adelstensfostre Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Norway
    Østfold
    Fredrikstad
    I would suggest that "perfectly acceptable" describes their status better. It is, after all, a rule which originates with Latin and was entirely artificially applied to English.

To quote the example commonly used to illustrate the pointlessness of that particular archaic rule, attributed to Winston Churchill when mocked by someone or other for ending a sentence with a preposition: "That is the sort of thing up with which I will not put!".