how do you keep your shoes from smelling bad?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by illmaticnyc, Apr 1, 2008.

1. asaffi

asaffi Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Brazil
    DF
    LAGO NORTE
    have you shoes ever got rain (with your feet inside them)? It's a major cause of bad smelling shoes, even if you powder/cedar tree/bath/etc.
    Try doing this:
    1-Wash your shoes with water and soap (it doesn't do them any harm) ;
    2-Stuff them with newspaper, until they get dry
    3- polish them. The smell is gone.

2. Laxplayer

Laxplayer Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain

Powder for athletic shoes, and cedar trees for dress shoes. Powder would work for dress shoes too, but it's my athletic shoes that really stink after running or working out.

3. BAB

BAB Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Denmark
    dk
    copenhagen
    what's the difference between cedar and beech trees in terms of their ability to absorb smell/moisture?

4. Rossini

Rossini Honors Member

Aaland
    Dunno
    Dunno
    Cedar has a strong odour, and is a natural antiseptic. It is a low-density wood with the added value that it is relatively inelastic - so your trees won't change shape as the absorb. Beech doesn't quite match it but isn't a bad substitute. That's as far as I can gather anyway.

5. ilikeyourstyle

ilikeyourstyle Super Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    This works perfectly. No powder required.

6. I-love-my-feet

I-love-my-feet Starting Member

Yes, I can only agree!!! Cedar wood is the ultimate solution! I use special zederna cedarsoles daily. They give my shoes a very fresh aroma and prevent my feet from sudor and athlete's foot.

7. GreenPlastic

GreenPlastic Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Both cedar and beech are highly resistant to rot and tolerant of moisture, but cedar has the advantage of smelling a lot better. So of the two, I'd go with cedar.

As for preventing shoe odor, I think what's already been said is solid advice. Always put cedar shoe trees in your shoes at the end of the day, and don't wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. Ideally, give them even more time (48 hours or so) to rest in between wearings. But if you don't have a shoe collection large enough to warrant such a generous resting period, then at least go 24 hours in between wearings if at all possible. And if you've only got one or two pairs of dress shoes, well, time to stock up. ;)

8. Andy

Andy Site Creator/Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Palm Desert
    Admin Post
    I-love-my-feet:

Is this SPAM? Are you connected to this company you're advertising?

Read the Rules please.

9. The Deacon

The Deacon Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    MA
    EAst Longmeadow
    The cedar trees alone were not doing the trick with a pair of vintage Johnston & Murphy shell cordovan crown aristocraft tassel loafers nor the two pairs of vintage shell plain toe Bostonians so I washed the innersoles and inner vamps with saddle soap and let them dry. They are now odorless even after 4th wearing each. The job worked so well with the J&Ms that the innersole is now the original off white again with no visible ball of foot or toe shadowing. After that intervention, I use the reconditioned (sanded, revived) cedar trees now and they are effective.

10. chava

chava Active Member with Corp. Privileges

smell

Wash you feet thoroughly, wear clean socks, use cedar shoe trees for all leather shoes. That should do the trick.