-->

Help with new-to-me Burberrys coat

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by DangerousMouse, Nov 29, 2017.

1. DangerousMouse

DangerousMouse Starting Member

United States
    VA - Virginia
    RESTON
    Hello all,

I impulse purchased a Burberry coat on eBay from a reputable seller (100% feedback over 919 transactions) and I'm worried that it might not be the real deal. It is a very nice looking cotton blend coat and all of the stitching looks fantastic.

My concern comes from the tags, as they look different from the other older Burberry rain jacket that I have. The main tag on the zip-out liner and in the coat do not have the "made in England" text that my other one does and the text on the materials tag is very faded.

Lastly the size tag is in American size and is a loop tag, whereas the one on my other one is in English sizing and has a space for the name and lists a number and says Burberrys London on it. I have included a link to pics:

http://s1007.photobucket.com/user/DangerousMouse/library/Burberrys Coats

The old coat is the shorter one, the full-length coat with the liner is the new one. I have included photos of both in the linked album for reference to what I am talking about.

I would greatly appreciate everyone's assistance!

Rick

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
  3. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Connoisseur

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    ^ Just keep in mind that that label guide is not complete/exhaustive.

4. DangerousMouse

United States
    VA - Virginia
    RESTON
  5. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
  6. ran23

ran23 Senior Member

United States
    Oregon
    Medford
    I thought I found a Burberry cheap, until I found a 'Made in Poland' tag.

7. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Don’t be so quick to dismiss that. Burberry off shores most of their production.

Some of the classic trenches and their Prorsum line is English and Italian made but otherwise, Eastern Europe is not all that uncommon.

graysuit and ran23 like this.
  8. DangerousMouse

United States
    VA - Virginia
    RESTON
    I did not realize it was such a problem, I figured that since it was older there was less likelihood of it being ripped off. Is there not a good way to tell? I hate the idea of having a fake.

The reason I went with an older piece (besides cost) is that I have read that the quality on older Burberry coats is better. Most of the older clothes that I have received as hand-me-downs tend to be very well made and feel less "disposable" than most of the stuff I see that is usually in the range of what I can afford to spend.

Would folks be able to share some other quality makers to keep an eye out for when looking for vintage items on eBay or in the thrift stores that are less likely to be counterfeited?

9. Elessarcif

Elessarcif New Member

United States
    Minnesota
    Minneapolis
    Oxxford, Kiton, church's shoes

Other than the tags that you feel may be counterfeit is there anything else that makes you think it is? You are right a vintage coat is less likely to be fake than a NWOT or with tags coat. If it has a quality feel and you got a great deal wear it like its real. Dont stress about it.

10. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Connoisseur

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    That's not true, there's tons of vintage ones floating around. The "new coat" which the guy has in his photo album looks like a vintage one (it matches more or less several that I have) and the "old coat" is a new one. None of the four vintage coats I've got say "made in UK" on them, it's the ones from the last decade which have "made in UK" on some of them. Anyways, the the guy's coat with the old Burberrys' label looks genuine - I've got one identical to it.