Help with a grey sport coat

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by never behind, Aug 11, 2017.

1. never behind

never behind New Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I've been reading through the forums about what trousers to wear with grey sport coats. I suck at matching stuff, and I've never had a grey coat (I'm working to build out a decent wardrobe). So I came across this jacket.

http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/grey-plaid-wool-traveler-jacket/71511006b004w/product

The pattern seems like its something that wouldn't be taken for a orphaned suit coat. I'd love opinions on what trousers you think this would work with.

As an aside, what price range is considered a good value for HF mainline jackets?

2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    That's about as sport coat as a sport coat can get. No chance of it being mistaken for an orphaned suit jacket.

I'm not crazy about it personally, but I would think that just about anything except for gray would work. Perhaps charcoal but I'd have to see it up close and personal.

I would stick to solids, though. No pattern in the slacks otherwise there would be too much clashing.

3. never behind

never behind New Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Is it because it's a mid grey that grey slacks in general wouldn't work? In old threads there seemed to be a lot of disagreement about grey coats and trousers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    It looks like there's brown and navy in the check, so you could try trousers in brown, fawn or muted navy. My go-to trousers with this, however, would be charcoal.

5. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    I'm simply expressing my opinion. You're certainly welcome to pair it with a light or mid gray but it's not my cup of tea and I wouldn't do it.

If gray is what you want, then charcoal may be your only option.

6. Barrister & Solicitor

Barrister & Solicitor Super Member

Canada
    Québec
    Montréal
    You will want to create a contrast between the jacket and pants. I didn't zoom on the picture but picking pants that match a more subtle color would be a good start.

7. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    The ad recommends a pair of brown dress pants to be paired with the sport coat in question, but my eyes tell me that jacket would pair best with navy trousers! :thumbs-up:

8. rufus4299

rufus4299 New Member

South Korea
    gyeonggi
    seongnam
    I have a somewhat similar jacket in color and pattern, and have had a bit of trouble with finding the trousers to go with it. I'm not a fan of navy odd trousers, so I don't have a pair. I usually end up wearing mine with charcoal flannels, and I've also tried mid-brown. But neither combination wows me, honestly. I think my jacket may have a bit of a strange hue to the grey that throws it off a bit. I have to agree with eagle that navy might work best. Maybe I should pick up a pair myself!

Sent from my SM-G920L using Tapatalk

9. rtd1

rtd1 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    NJ
    Central
    Charcoal, navy, or tan would work best with that jacket. Honestly, just about any common color would be passable with it except light or medium gray.

10. Andy

Andy Site Creator/Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Palm Desert
    Admin Post
    never behind:

The good news is that gray is a "neutral" color and should go with every other color.

On the Home Page, in the Style Tips section read the Color Coordination, and the Coordination (pattern, etc.) articles

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/category/clothing/style-tips

These Coordination articles which will help put into practice how to coordinate colors and patterns.

Also take a look at the series of articles "How To Look Your Best".

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/category/how-to-look-your-best

That will help with finding the best styles for your body type plus colors that are best for your skin, eye and hair tones.

11. FLMike

FLMike Honors Member

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    Navy or charcoal.

12. Woofa

Woofa Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Fort Worth
    The main three hues in my color tripod are grey, brown and blue. I find that all things being equal, and within some limits, you should always be able to match among the three.
    FYI, my fourth color is green.

13. FLMike

FLMike Honors Member

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    My primary objective is to coordinate, rather than match.

14. delicious_scent

delicious_scent Senior Member

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
    The shade of blue used for the lining is another alternative for trousers.

15. JBierly

JBierly Super Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Exactly my thought.

16. never behind

never behind New Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Thanks for the input everyone. Very helpful.

17. never behind

never behind New Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Instead of a new thread, I thought I'd post this here. I skipped the HF coat but grabbed this Samuelsohn on sale at Saks. I'm trying to decide if I should keep it. Would you classify this as a mid grey? Pairing it with items in my closet, the pattern helps it match browns and navy pants. Also seems a charcoal and light grey solid trousers work, too. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm still trying to develop my abilities to know if things fit or not. How do the shoulders look? Anything else I need to focus on before I keep and have it tailored.

Many thanks in advance. Finding this forum late last year has been great. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    ^ I think that's a great jacket and could be paired with any number of slacks.

As for fit, it's difficult to tell from the pics posted. The shoulders look ok to me. How does it feel?

19. never behind

never behind New Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Feels great to me; a very nice jacket. Great hand. I can see why Samuelsohn has such a good reputation[​IMG][​IMG]. I need to bring in the waist, shorten the sleeves, etc - normal stuff. Never owned a Samuelsohn, so I was anxious to be able to try one. Figured it was worth it for $350.

20. JBierly

JBierly Super Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I think your second choice is much more versatile.

never behind likes this.