Help me name this accessory! (close cousin to the throat latch, I believe)

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by robertsieg, Feb 8, 2013.

1. robertsieg

robertsieg Starting Member

Hey gents, this will be a newbie question for most of you, but the answer has eluded me for a long time. Years ago I saw some trench coats and even some sports coats with this detail, and I tried to make a mental notation for the future when I would request this for a custom garment. Alas, it has been forgotten long since. And yes, I did search this forum thoroughly but to no avail. But luckily I recently found a picture which shows this exact accessory:

[​IMG]

It's the kidney bean shaped detachable 'latch' under the gentleman's collar. I'd like to ask, this is a trench coat feature first, and a sports coat feature second, correct? Any other garments you might find it on? It seems like a more casual, sporting look. Also, I seem to remember it being placed under the lapel, or even inside the coat itself. Does the placement vary? I thought I remember a picture of Prince Charles closing his lapels with it, not the collar. Thanks for any info you can give!

2. Langham

Langham Honors Member

England
    Kent
    Tenterden
    Military greatcoats have them, so do some sports jackets, but then it's usually an extension of the collar that can either be buttoned back on itself, or buttoned across with the collar turned up; sometimes the lapels also button together by means of a button underneath the right lapel buttoning into the boutonnierre buttonhole, that could be what Prince Charles's coat had. A lot of Barbour and other outdoor-type jackets have throat latches (I think that is the correct term).

3. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Super Member

UK
    Rhonda Cynon Taff
    Pontypridd
    I have always believed it to be called a throat latch. My barbour 3/4 length has one, as does my raincoat, and I think one of my old tweed jackets did too.

4. Snow Hill Pond

Snow Hill Pond Advanced Member

United States
    PA
    Poconos
    For some reason, I really like that picture. He looks so happy.

5. Earl of Ormonde

Earl of Ormonde Connoisseur

Sweden
    Värmland
    Värmland
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. CuffDaddy

CuffDaddy Connoisseur

Yep, throat latch.