Have You Guys Checked WASP 101 Lately

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by Duke 202, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Duke 202

Duke 202 Member

I know Richard has received some praise but mostly criticism on this forum, but have you guys checked out WASP 101 lately? He has had some good posts, and I love the houndstooth suit he is sporting.

2. Memphis88

Memphis88 Well-Known Member

I try my best to stay away from there.

3. Kurt N

Kurt N Well-Known Member

I like WASP 101 well enough to keep it on my aggregator. I do think the better men's style blogs manage to go beyond the basic "What Am I Wearing Today" premise and add something more: good writing, or interesting historical info, or outside-the-box style choices, just for instance. Richard isn't quite there yet, or at least not consistently. Seems like he might lately have put a bit more effort into doing some more research for his posts, and I would say those are his better entries.

4. Flanderian

Flanderian Well-Known Member

Do you know Richard?

5. Duke 202

Duke 202 Member

I don't know the fellow! Kinda glad I don't, but he doesn't seem to be mean to readers unless they press his buttons.

6. Bermuda

Bermuda Well-Known Member

I love the site....

7. 127.72 MHz

127.72 MHz Well-Known Member

I'm completely unbiased by any opinions or posts here at AAAC or elsewhere as I have not heard of the site until your post, so I went over and took a look.

First impression is that the fellow who owns and writes the site has some great history and information about clothing, clothing companies, (such as Southwick) and traditional American style. He even mentioned Ask Andy although I'm not sure I understood the context.

Has the criticism he's received been exclusively related to the name of the "WASP" name of the site?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  8. Sir Cingle

Sir Cingle Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wondered that too, Bill. Like you, I had never seen the Web site before, so I went to check it out. It seemed fine and interesting to me, though I only looked at it for a short time. But I must say that the name of the site is a bit off-putting. Naturally, there's nothing wrong with being a WASP or even celebrating WASP-hood. But that's not really my bag. I enjoy the look of the clothes, not the associations they may have with country clubs and trust funds. So I wondered whether folks didn't like the name, which may seem exclusionary.

9. Memphis88

Richard very often comes off as a condescending pr!ck you believes himself to be better than everyone else.

10. Flanderian

Oh, most certainly not!

11. Pentheos

Pentheos Well-Known Member

That's certainly the sense I got when he described wearing his new J. Press jacket to smoke a pipe in his library. Sheesh.

12. Kurt N

Kurt N Well-Known Member

Too often it's just a "Hey, look at me" blog and he doesn't really have anything to say. Who cares that he likes Liv Tyler, for instance? But blogging is by nature a bit of a vanity project, and unless you're able to make the blog part of your professional life it's hard to produce consistently good content. I don't think it's that hard to say "OK, nothing good there today" and skip it.

He is friends, I guess (actually or blogospherically) with Maximinimus, who is sartorially (and also literally) pretty well-traveled and has interacted with the likes of Alan Flusser, Tom Wolfe and the late Richard Merkin. So it's not like Richard is completely bereft of good sources.

13. 127.72 MHz

127.72 MHz Well-Known Member

Well I spent about a half hour going through his archives and I can see that he's not short on opinions. And yes he does have some come backs to comments that have been posted that range from mildly in your face to down right rude,...

But I like the site for the images if nothing else.

14. Flanderian

Mediocrity and questionable taste should not serve as a paradigm.

15. Kurt N

Kurt N Well-Known Member

^ Agreed. So what are the paradigm blogs, and what are they the paradigm of?

A Suitable Wardrobe is a paradigm blog, I would say, for people with traditional, English-influenced tastes who can afford top-quality goods.

So what else is out there that's really good?

16. Memphis88

Now, he is a guy who knows how to blog.

17. Memphis88

You will find a good one here and also a really good blog roll of other great clothing related blogs.

18. Duke 202

Duke 202 Member

I understand why Richard could be perceived as an unlikable guy, but I do see why he would at times get upset. For example, you guys seem to praise this Maxminimus guy (just checked out his sight) who apparently likes Ralph Lauren. But when Richard posts something about or wears Ralph he is called a cad. Regardless, what do you think about the brown houndstooth suit he is wearing in his latest post. The Maxminimus guy seems to like it!

19. Kurt N

Kurt N Well-Known Member

I've opted not to follow that one regularly, I guess partly because it's too much of this and that and not always clothes.* Today's entry is on tea. My question is not hey, what are some good blogs, but: what are the really tip-top ones and what makes them so special?

I think Richard's blog would be improved simply by disabling comments or moderating them more selectively, so he avoids getting into slapfights. On the other hand, if that's what he wants, then that says something about him.

EDIT: I''m contradicting myself, aren't I? Earlier I said it's not that hard to scan and skip what doesn't interest you. And Heavy Tweed clearly puts more effort into his blog. So Richard, you're off my aggregator to make room for Heavy Tweed. Sorry!

20. Pentheos

Pentheos Well-Known Member