-->

Hanging a jacket/coat in a school locker?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Swarley, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Swarley

Swarley Starting Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Hey guys,

I'm heading back to school for a new semester and I'm tired of carrying my coat/jacket around. Wearing it is insane because the school I go to keeps the temperature really high.

I'd like to hang it in my locker but I've not figured out a good way to do so since it's a standard 12"x12" locker. I was looking for a hangar which is hinged in the middle so it could bend to fit the locker, but no luck. My only other thought was to bend two wire hangers so they're doubled up but spread apart. That would at least give the shoulders some support and allow it fit in the locker but this is a less than ideal solution I think.

Anyone have any brilliant suggestions I've overlooked?

2. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
    Should be a loop at the bottom and centered of collar. If not you could sweet talk a young lady in the sewing Academy part of the school to make one. Most colleges have sewing classes and costume department where costumes are made.

medhat likes this.
  3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    +1. Having been there, not ideal for a tailored jacket, but the least of all possible evils. A decent jacket should not suffer undue harm.

4. Swarley

Swarley Starting Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    I was afraid this would be the only answer. I guess I'm off to jury-rig a "bent hanger."

5. Charles Dana

Charles Dana Advanced Member

United States
    California
    San Francisco
    Swarley: What kind of a coat/jacket are you referring to?

6. Swarley

Swarley Starting Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Heavy wool coat, leather jacket, and sometimes an odd jacket that I need to leave while I'm in a lab.

7. JBierly

JBierly Super Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Probably just better off folding it. Usually inside out. Depending on the jacket it may not wrinkle so bad.

8. Charles Dana

Charles Dana Advanced Member

United States
    California
    San Francisco
    Exactly. Fold the jacket lightly; don’t smoosh it down. It will be fine. Line the bottom of your locker with notebook or printer paper to keep the garment clean.

Casual jackets and coats can take a beating—even sport coats, if they are made of tweed—and any wrinkles will fall out quickly enough.

Take reasonable care of the coats/jackets, but you don’t need to baby them. In fact, folding them will be better than hanging them on some skinny wire hanger that you bent to fit into that small locker.

9. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
    Wire hanger. Stay away from, unless it is a shirt.

10. stolo17

stolo17 Starting Member

United States
    GA
    Atlanta
    Just hang it on the hook in the locker. Will only be there for few hours anyways, won't be a problem.