Don't Forget the Turtleneck!

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Flanderian, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    Yes, you are correct. The article's suggestions are off in my opinion, but it still provides some good info around the actual outfit itself.

For example, I was never 100% sure what the trousers were and was glad to learn they were a trim-fit charcoal dress trouser - not an obvious choice, but they work incredibly well in a singular outfit.

However, the article's suggestion of the navy work trousers instead is inconsistent with the original outfit's logic and, even away from that, would have an odd monochromatic effect with the navy turtleneck.

IMHO, the brilliance of the outfit is that it works in real life, but not as much on paper. Also, doesn't hurt that Steve McQueen is wearing it - that said, I think it would work on normal humans as well.

2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    That's the crazy stupid world of fashion. Back on planet normal, I'll buy a decent navy merino wool turtleneck for sub $100 on sale from Brooks or J.Crew or some similar offering.

3. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    Agreed and, just once in my life, I'd like the shoulders of my suit to fit like that. When I was a young man, I use to dream of women, wine and song, now I'd settle for a well-tailored suit and, occasionally, not being tortured by life's daily challenges.

4. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    I'm going to keep my eye open for just that eventuality. Like this one, perhaps.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  5. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    Exactly. There are many fine wool turtlenecks available for +/- $100 out there (especially on the regularly occurring sales most stores have these days).

Also, as a side note, it's interesting to see youth-oriented J.Crew offering a "relaxed" fit sweater - could the wheel be slowly turning?

6. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^
    Most of mine came off of BB's clearance racks, four or five years back and all for well under the $100 mark! Thar are indeed still bargains to be found. :)

Fading Fast likes this.
  7. GRH

GRH Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    PA
    Pittsburgh
    8461d1202a48060dea38a69738eee195--james-mason-actor-james.jpg
    Roll model.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  8. ran23

ran23 Senior Member

United States
    Oregon
    Medford
    I don't see sweaters out in the low 40's here, guess I will wait for the 30"s before wearing mine.

9. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    They're coming the second week in November in Greater Portland, with snow flurries.

10. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Plenty cool enough for turtlenecks! Don't forget they can range anywhere from thinner cotton jersey to thick, chunky woolens that are only suited as outdoor wear. I've got quite a few of the former, including a number in Pima cotton that are very comfortable up to about 65-70 degrees, and I heat rapidly.

ran23 likes this.