Does this pocket square go well?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by MovingForward, Jul 8, 2018.

1. MovingForward

MovingForward Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Texas
    Laredo
    Hello,

I'm very interested in wearing a pocket square with my new suit that I will be wearing in 3 weeks to a wedding. The suit is a Joseph Abboud navy modern fit suit. I was able to get the coat for 50% off and the pants for 30% off. Hopefully a decent deal. The first photo is a picture of the suit from the Mens Wearhouse website and does not represent the accessories I will be wearing it with.

I will not be wearing a vest. The tie is a silk Shantung from Chipp Neckwear. The pocket square from Mens Wearhouse is 55% cotton and 45% silk. The following is the combination of what I will be wearing. Does the pocket square go well with this combination?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. TheBigOne

TheBigOne Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Maryland
    Baltimore
    Nice, eclectic touch. No need to match

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MovingForward likes this.
  3. MovingForward

United States
    Texas
    Laredo
    Thank you. Btw, I did find a similar one on clearance for 9.99 that is 42% silk and 58% wool. It seems to be darker in color and less shiny. However, for a wedding in the summer, maybe the lighter one would be more appropriate.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  4. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    A dark charcoal suit is great. But with a white shirt, a dark tie, and black shoes you might be confused for a Limo driver. Think of it as a canvas for the accessories - I think you are doing well with your choices. Purple (or mauve, or lilac, etc..) is a great match for grey so I think you are spot on. You could consider a light pink shirt in place of the blue.

Troones and MovingForward like this.
  5. MovingForward

United States
    Texas
    Laredo
    Thank you very much. It is a navy suit by the way. I just put it in the op. Sorry about that.

6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    One of the things I generally try to avoid is a too dizzying visual between the tie and pocket square. In my eye, this combo does that.

The tie is interesting enough with a bold colors and a pattern. Sure there is contrast with the pattern, but the general color scheme is the same. The tie is like three scoops of ice cream and the PS like the same three scoops left in the sun for 15 minutes.

White linen/cotton would look better in my eye.

7. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I wouldn't go white - if you want to tone down the PS then maybe a solid pale pink or pale blue to go with the tie. Or keep the paisley PS and tone down the tie to a something less busy - maybe get away from stripes and go with pindots or similar. I like white PS but I prefer it with a suits/jackets that already have some color or texture to the fabric. This suit is very boring (unless I am missing something) and needs the help of some color in both the PS and the tie in my opinion.

SG_67 and MovingForward like this.
  8. jts287

jts287 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Rocky River
    I like the pocket square and the tie, but not together. I think that a more toned-down tie would make the square pop, which is what you want.

9. Troones

Troones Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    I like the earlier suggestion of going with a light pink shirt as an alternative to blue, though nothing wrong with blue either. I just think pink goes especially well with greys. I also agree that the tie and pocket square together may compete for attention and be a bit much.

10. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Sorry, but I dislike both the tie and PS. Shirt is fine.

[​IMG]