Does any restaurant near you have an ENFORCED Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Robert Collier, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Robert Collier

Robert Collier Inactive user

United States
    Texas
    Plano
    I can't think of any restaurant in the Dallas area that has an enforced dress code. The Mansion at Turtle Creek, which used to supply gentlemen with jackets if they arrived in shirt sleeves, now seats gentlemen in t-shirts and baseball caps.

The Ritz-Carlton's dress code is "smart casual," whatever that means. I once saw a gentleman wearing a cowboy hat while he ate.

The last time I was at my club, The Crescent, guys were wearing business casual trousers and polo shirts.

What is your experience? Does any restaurant or eating club in your area have an enforced dress code?

Thank you for sharing your experiences regarding this issue.

Cordially,

Rob

2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Dress codes are a moving target. My club and it’s restaurants have a dress code.

Most will say smart causal as a way to keep people from wearing a tank top, shorts and flip flops.

3. jts287

jts287 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Rocky River
    I'm in the Cleveland area, and can't think of a venue I've attended that will turn people away. That said, I do recall hearing about a club or two awhile back getting attention for prohibiting hats, jerseys, and the like: many took that rule as code for keeping younger black guys out. I'm guessing that dress codes are falling out of favor due to certain places using them as pretext.

Clintotron likes this.
  4. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Nope.

5. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Clubs? As in private clubs? One has to be a member to dine at such clubs. I’m not sure that indiscriminate racial profiling is necessarily a consideration.

6. paxonus

paxonus Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
    The only place I know of is The Magic Castle--a private club. I was once invited for dinner by a friend. Here is the complete Men's Dress Code:

• All members and guests are required to dress in business attire or evening wear that is conservative, formal, and elegant.
    • Formal suit or coat with dress shirt, tie, and dress slacks (no denim) with closed-toe dress shoes is required. No casual footwear.
    • Exceptions to the “tie rule” are: full turtlenecks (no mock turtlenecks), bow ties, bolo ties, ascots, and banded collars when worn correctly.
    • Military dress (no fatigues), ethnic attire, and/or religious garb are allowed as exceptions to our dress requirements.
    • Leather jackets with buttons, dressy blazers with vertical zippers, leather pants, and linen suits will also be accepted, unless viewed by management as casual, outer wear or unacceptable attire.
    Our dress code mandates that, at all times, all guests in suit & tie:

• Keep their dress shirts tucked into their waistbands.
    • Keep their necktie properly tied, so that the knot is near, if not at, the collar.
    • Keep their suit jacket/blazer on when moving throughout the club. It is acceptable to remove one’s jacket while sitting in a showroom watching a performance, sitting down in the dining room, or to temporarily wrap another guest who is cold. However, walking through the club sans jacket is not permitted.

jackmccullough and Kyle76 like this.
  7. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Jerseys and ball caps - I am all in favor of any establishment outside of a baseball park that bans that attire. Of course I would be happy if even the baseball stadiums banned that attire too except for the players...

8. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    Several private clubs do - but even they are getting more relaxed as they try to attract a younger membership. But, by far, private clubs have the most strict (and enforced) dress codes in NYC.

Some restaurants, like "21," still have a code. 21's doesn't allow jeans or t-shirts and requires a sport jacket in some (not all) rooms. Which is a big step down from only a few years ago when wearing a tie and jacket was strictly enforced in all rooms.

There are some others restaurants that have various codes in the city (but mainly to prevent shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops, etc., not to require jackets and ties), but the last five years has seen a very rapid decline in those codes as, I'm told, the younger generation - which all these places obviously need - just won't abide them.

9. derum

derum Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    Many restaurants in Houston have a dress code.
    Thankfully.

Clintotron likes this.
  10. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Times change. Lack of a dress code shouldn’t stop anyone from dressing appropriately.

Andy likes this.