DE razor, how often do you change the blade, can you turn it upside down for more use?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by patatty, Jan 13, 2012.

1. patatty

patatty New Member

United States
    NY
    NY
    A newbie here using a DE razor. Ordered an Edwin Jagger DE razor from Amazon (the $30 model; I don't remember the name). It took me a week to overcome my fear of slicing my face and severing arteries, before I first used it. Not too bad so far. I definitely get less irritation compared with the multi blade Gillette cartridge I was using (I think it had five blades, or some crazy number like that). However, the shave is not as close. My question is, how many shaves do you typically get per blade? Also, if you turn the blade upside down, will you get more shaves from the other side? After five shaves this week, it seems the blade is definitely more dull. For now I'm using the standard blades that came with the razor. I did order an assortment (also from Amazon) to try, since the consensus here seems to be that different blades give different results, and one should experiment until shaving nirvana is reached. Any recommendations for blades that give a really close shave? My guess is that the closeness is proportional to the amount of potential cutting and bleeding. Thanks.

2. jamesensor

jamesensor Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    DC
    Washington
    I have a lighter beard - so I change every five days or so. I would not flip the blade over. Head over to Badger and Blade for some great advice. I also ordered a 100 pack assortment of blades from that forum for $17 when I first started that really helped me. I ended up liking the simple Gilette 7 o'clock blades, but again I don't have a heavy beard.

3. Bjorn

Bjorn Moderator

Sweden
    Sweden
    Balsta
    I change blades every other shave, I'm guessing we have the same EJ DE89. I buy cheap blades and change often.

I had the same initial reaction as you but now I swipe as fast with this razor as I did with my Mach 3. I've only been using it for 6 months.

Hardly ever nick myself.

Good soap is key, brush even more so. I only shave after showering, the beard is softer then.

4. JohnRov

JohnRov Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Gibsonia
    I probably change every 4-5 shaves.

5. WouldaShoulda

WouldaShoulda Suspended

United States
    VA
    Alexandria
    I change the Mach II blade out every month, just like cutting my hair, whether it needs it or not!!

Does the economics of the DE razor work out replacing the blade weekly??

Those cartridge blades are costly.

6. hardline_42

hardline_42 Honors Member

United States
    New Jersey
    Mount Holly
    I change my blade out about every week and a half. Right now, I mostly use the drugstore/supermarket DE blades that come in the silver and white plastic case. They're about $4 for a pack of 10. I'm sure I could save more money if I bought in bulk.

As far as closeness, that will require multiple passes in different directions. The Gillette multi-bladed number you were using before pulls whiskers up and cuts below the level of the skin, so regardless of which direction you shave in, the result is a whisker sliced at an angle, left with a razor sharp point and buried below the surface of your skin with a single pass.

A DE razor can never cut whiskers below the level of the skin. In order to get it as close as possible, you have to attack it from different angles. Typically, a with-the-grain (WTG), across-the-grain (XTG) and against-the-grain (ATG) series of passes will get your face BBS (baby's-butt-smooth). A WTG and XTG is usually enough for most circumstances. Once you master the blade angle and pressure (lack thereof, really), you can zip through multiple passes in no time without irritation, but it will take your skin some time to adjust.

7. Orsini

Orsini Honors Member

United States
    California
    Lawndale
    They had these in the Army in about 1974. They are a good way to disfigure yourself and were sold in the PX for about a dollar or so. When I got off active duty, I couldn't throw it away fast enough...

8. Trimmer

Trimmer Super Member

UK
    England
    North Shields
    I find:

Feather blades very sharp for the first couple of shaves but only last for 4 or 5 days.

Derby blades last about 7 or 8 days.

I find the key to a close and comfortable shave - before blades, soap, brush etc - is technique, and that comes from practice. When I switched from multi-blade cartridges to a double edged blade it took me about a year of daily shaving to get it right, but it was worth it and I would never go back. Of course it's also a Zen thing.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  9. catside

catside Super Member

United States
    CT
    New Haven
    Derby last longer, a week or so. Others 3-4 days. Gillette 7 Russia and Rainbow Egypt about 4-5 days. Each different and I am liking these. Did not try Feather yet. i do have a box. Stay away from Made in Germany Wilkinson or Merkurs. What a disappointment.
    Also one should try Arko stick shave soap. Very different, dirt cheap.

10. catside

catside Super Member

United States
    CT
    New Haven
    DE razors are about 10 cents a blade. I switched back to them few months ago. I am quite happy. Results are approved by Mrs. CAT

11. WouldaShoulda

WouldaShoulda Suspended

United States
    VA
    Alexandria
    Thanks!!

I must consider...

12. Trimmer

Trimmer Super Member

UK
    England
    North Shields
    +1 for Arko

13. Bjorn

Bjorn Moderator

Sweden
    Sweden
    Balsta
    100 derby blades is around 8£ online, so it works out financially even if I change blades every shave in comparison to Mach 3:s. And I never have to use a dull razor. Small luxuries...

And the shave is better. I use Taylor of old bond street shaving creme, it's absolutely great.

14. DoghouseReilly

DoghouseReilly Senior Member

United States
    Missouri
    St. Louis
    Every 5 shaves with my Derby blades.

As a side note, I switched from Personna to Derbys a couple weeks ago and found them to be very harsh for the first few shaves. This week I decided to try to cork (or hand strop) the blade by pinching it between my thumb and forefinger and running it lightly across a wine cork once or twice in a motion that resembles slicing bread. A much better shave followed. I will be doing that weekly with my new blades.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  15. catside

catside Super Member

United States
    CT
    New Haven
    ^How does this work? Is this Derby extra? What happens to "platinum" coating in that case?

16. DoghouseReilly

DoghouseReilly Senior Member

United States
    Missouri
    St. Louis
    Yes, I use Derby Extras. I don't believe it strips it off, just removes any burrs or minor manufacturing imperfections on the blade. I'd rather use the cork to do this as opposed to my face. The guys at B&B could probably explain it better, if you want to check there.

And for clarification, I'm not slicing the cork completely through, just going maybe 1/16" deep.

17. Howard

Howard Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    Bayside
    I use disposable razors so whenever the blade gets dull I throw them out and get a new one.

18. MacTweed

MacTweed Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    SC
    Charleston
    +1 for Feather blades. They are incredibly sharp, and stay so for about 4 shaves. If you purchase a pack of 100 blades from Amazon, they'll run you about 4.5 cents each.

I have also used the Derby blades, and I passionately dislike them. I nicked myself every time. I purchased a 100 pack of these and used about 30...the rest sit in my cabinet. I should sell them or throw them away.

19. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    I generally get three to five shaves out of a double edge blade, before replacement. My best, most comfortable shaves come from the edge of Merkur blades. Feather blades are a bit more economical, but they provide me with a less comfortable shave and seem to require replacement on a more frequent basis and therefore represent a false economy.

20. Francisco D'Anconia

Francisco D'Anconia Senior Member

Go to West Coast Shaving and order a sampler pack of blades to find the one that work best for you. It's remarkable how dramatic the differences are between DE blades.

Watch Mantic59's videos on YouTube to improve your technique.

These two things combined should yield more comfortable and closer shaves.