Common Shirt Stripes Defined

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Alexander Kabbaz, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Tech and Business Advice Guru

United States
    New York
    East Hampton
    I have received quite a number of e-mails on this subject. Here are the commonly used names for the basic shirtings:

Hairline Stripe:

[​IMG]

Dress Stripe:

[​IMG]

Pin Stripes (Bottom - usual; Top - wide):

[​IMG]

Candy Stripe:

[​IMG]

Bengal Stripes:

[​IMG]

Awning Stripe:

[​IMG]

Shadow Stripe (may vary in width):

[​IMG]

Multi-Stripe (one of many thousands):

[​IMG]

Basic Stripe Size Comparison Reference:

[​IMG]

These are relative sizes. For example, Candy Stripes approximately 1/8" equally spaced white & color or color & color; Bengal Stripes +/- 1/4" equally spaced white & color or color & color, etc. Pin stripes are usually 1 or two yarns thick and the spacing between pin stripes varies all over the map.

If you'd rather call your Candy Stripes Bengals and your Bengals Pinstripes, feel free. One person's tiger is another's kitty.

But if you're trying to communicate with a shirtmaker, use the reference above.

Copyright © 2008 Alexander S. Kabbaz, Kabbaz Kelly Shirtmakers. All rights reserved.

2. stfu

stfu Senior Member

United States
    AZ
    Southern
    I believe that (somewhat random) posts like this are one of the things that make AAAC so great. Thanks.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Super Member

United States
    TN
    Knoxville
    Is the Bengal stripe also sometimes called Butcher stripe?

4. Alexander Kabbaz

United States
    New York
    East Hampton
    Butcher, more frequently used in the UK, is similar but slightly wider ... not nearly as wide as an awning stripe.

5. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Starting Member

this thread is pure gold!! I love stripes but don't hardly know enough about the types, right color combos and "safe" ensembles to have any in my closet (other than 1 I found on clearance in BB)

Thanks!

6. Rilian

Rilian Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Thanks for this Alexander! Maybe you can also do one on plaids, checks, and other patterns. I never quite know how to sort out gingham, herringbone, prince of wales, windowpane, checks. and etc.

7. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    This thread has actually confused me from what I had previously gathered. I have noticed Brooks Brothers tends to follow what you describe. On the other hand, Turnbull & Asser (as well as many others I have found) appears to reverse what you call a bengal stripe and candy stripe. It also calls your dress stripe a pencil stripe. Is that usually the same thing? I also see pin stripes described as pencil stripes. What is your take on the meaning of pencil stripe?

8. Alexander Kabbaz

United States
    New York
    East Hampton
    The name "pencil stripe" derives from the obvious. The lower dress stripe (the blue one) would fit the pencil stripe category. My object here was to define stripe widths for those who had inquired. It was not to compile a list of synonyms, but instead of the most frequently used terms. That, perhaps, might be a project for the future.

The derivation of "candy stripe" is unknown, at least to me. Looking backward to the older candies, the most common were the round, cello-wrapped hard candies. The stripes most often seen on those were about 1/8".

Now as to "bengal stripes" ... that derivation is well-known. However, as much as I love AskAndy's and would like to be a bastion of historic accuracy, there are just certain places I shall not go with my tape measure ... even to verify the veracity of my claim. Perhaps Mr. Turnbull or Mr. Asser were braver fellows than I. You might want to ask one of them how they took those measures.

9. archduke

archduke Senior Member

I thought that in England Bengal stripes are 1/8 inch not 1/4.

10. Alexander Kabbaz

United States
    New York
    East Hampton
    Who's on First?

Really, though, these don't look like 1/8" to me:

[​IMG]