-->

Buying an identical pair of shoes as backup?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Voyager, Feb 26, 2008.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Honors Member

Good point. More than one man has boggled at paying for Alden only to look back and laugh while wearing EGs or Lobbs.

2. TweedyDon

TweedyDon Connoisseur

United States
    NJ
    Pennington
    I know just what you mean--I do this with my college, school, and club ties. And then I get a backup for the backup! :icon_smile: (Seriously. I'm so pathetic!) I also do this with my tweed jackets, for the patterns I like--or, at least, i try to, since pretty much all of my clothes are thrifted, and so I often get something "close enough".

The one thing I don't do this with is shoes. One reason is price--I just can't afford to this, even at the second-hand level with Aldens and AEs. (And my four pairs are all from thrift stores or these fora!) But I also think, rightly or wrongly, that shoes won't do well not being worn over a period of some time.

3. Brooksfan

Brooksfan Super Member

United States
    Illinois
    Arlington Heights
    Buy them now and alternate them and care for them and together you will attain four times the wear you would have from wearing one out and then putting the other into use. I bought some Alden calfskins that didn't fit (for years I forced myself into 12Ds when I really needed 13Ds) and kept them in the closet against the time I'd lose enough wait to make them work. Eighteen years later they looked as good as new and I was able to orchestrate a trade with an accommodating sales point and there were no ill effects. Not sure if shell would be the same but these were all black calf.

4. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    California
    San Fransico
    I have had the same thought. Should I get a second pair of shoes for later use. I have done this with boots that I like and they are still in the box and look fine.

5. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I regularly rotate two pairs of chestnut C&J semi-brogues. They are great workhorses and I don't really mind the sameness of my shoes.

6. haruki

haruki Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    CA - California
    CARDIFF
    Let me get this straight, you have the budget to buy a second pair of great shoes, and you are not plotting how to best diversify your current footwear collection?

You obviously have not been drinking the correct kool-aid. The proper color is navy blue.

I'm with Morgan. Wait a bit, read some more posts, and if you still want the second 405s, go ahead.

I the meantime, I suggest going over to plal.com and checking out the C&Js.

7. cdavant

cdavant Advanced Member

United States
    NC
    Blowing Rock
    I can see buying two and alternating wearing them. And while you're at it, put trees religiously into only one pair. Take pictures every few months--and in a few years we'll have an evidenced based answer as to how much difference trees really make.
    Over the last 40 years my feet have gone from 8.5B to 8.5EEE, thanks to a couple of dozen marathons and bunions. Alternating now makes a lot more sense than hoping you'll still be the same shoe size 15 years from now. It will be closer than your waist size, but you wouldn't stockpile pants today for 2020.

8. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    There is nothing inherently wrong with buying pairs of back-ups, for your favored shoe models and it can save you money. I've done this on a number of occassions with my AEs, when AE would discontinue a shoe and I could get a second pair at an extreme discount. Two pair of my AE "back-ups" (new, first quality shoes) were purchased at well under $100 this way! As to purchasing back-ups for your Alden 405s, as others have suggested, now that you have a pair in calf, consider a second pair in one of the shell cord offerings...you will have the best of both worlds!

9. In the past 10-15 years my feet have changed enough that I take two sizes wider - yours might too.

10. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior Member

United States
    PA
    Canton, PA
    I did this one time with a suit and I have regretted it. Wont do it again....