Budget English Tailors

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by step-hent, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Langham

Langham Honors Member

England
    Kent
    Tenterden
    I would second the advice given in the Bownsbespoke website to visit 'one of' the fabric and suit length merchants in Regent Street (I think there is now only one left - the London Textile Co, although there may be others hidden away). I went there years ago to get a summer-weight suit in a hurry. I chose the cloth and within less than five minutes had been hustled across the road to a little workshop in Soho where I was measured up and an excellent suit made up to my exact requirements in about a fortnight, including one fitting. I forget the cost but it was very reasonable and the fit seemed perfect.

2. cheeky

cheeky New Member

Great Britain
    West Midlands
    Walsall
    The tailor recommended on that website appears to have retired now. Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations. I went into Mackenzie's yesterday on Picadilly who sell suitings. I asked for a recommendation of an inexpensive tailor and he suggested to just walk to Kingly street. However, I'd prefer it if someone had prior experience with a tailor. I'd be willing to spend £50- £750 on the tailoring with the suiting provided by myself.

3. Langham

Langham Honors Member

England
    Kent
    Tenterden
    Well it might be worth following up the recommendation from Mackenzie's. All you can ever have, even on Savile Row, is someone's recommendation. Better if it's someone you know rather than just a textile pusher, but you can always ask to look at the tailor's work and decide on the basis of that.