-->

Budget English Tailors

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by step-hent, Jun 20, 2005.

1. step-hent

step-hent Starting Member

Im fairly new to AAAC - Im finding it very interesting reading others comments on various budget tailors. I have ordered both suits and shirts from Ravi and have been impressed with both. However, I am interested to compare these with suits from a tailor who fits the suits himself. As my budget is not large (read small) I have been looking into two visiting tailors here in the UK - dress2kill.com and King and Allen. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

cheers

Steve

2. sonteq

sonteq Starting Member

I'm not sure about dress2kill however I purchased a suit from king and allen about 6 months ago, I think it cost £249 with £50 discount. Unfortunately the edge of the trouser pockets started to fray through normal use after a couple of months. So my experience has not been very positive :mad:

3. whistle_blower71

whistle_blower71 Super Member

Steve

What is your budget? I am guessing around £500? In London, the better "pt" suits start around £650 to £750. This would be for a half-canvas construction. Anything cheaper is likely to be fully-fused (the same quality as most High St shops selling for £150).
    Unless you are an odd shape, buy a ready-made and go to a good alteration tailor. He can change the buttons to horn (sometimes even make them working) , take the waist in, add a flower-loop, remove belt-loops and add brace buttons etc.
    I used to do this with M&S suits when I first left school and they were much better then my first cheap made-to-measure at almost three times the price.

W_B

No disrespect to "dress2kill" or "king and allen" whom I have had no dealings with.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  4. tel star

tel star Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I have a lovely chalk stripe from 'Dress2Kill' which I'm pretty pleased with. I felt relaxed and unintimidated by the whole process from start to finish. It is a good fit and I demanded a second fitting even though they seemed to think one was enough. I paid just £375 for it and would go back tgere for a suit again. It's all clearly MTM by adapting standard pre-set patterns and making computer adjustments. But, for what it is, it's great and is has the best fitting jacket of all my suits. Clearly, it's a long way from a bespoke, but you get what you pay for. My main complaint would be the relative chaos that you seem to meet when they've got your order: once they've hooked you, they don't seem to go out of their way to keep you. They told me, too, that they had my measurements on record if I wanted to order again. Tnhis wouldn't suit me (no pun intended!) as I would expect to be re-measured and to choose the fabric by touch as well as sight, rather than ordering online. But, a pretty good halfway house between OTR and Bespoke.

Haven't tried King & Allen yet, but have been in touch with them.

Ciao!

5. m@t

m@t Active Member with Corp. Privileges

you sir are the perfect Styleforum member (give me perfection, now give me a discount :) )

so, from one to another, you could try this.

Pick up your cloth from this guy:

http://stores.ebay.com/BRITISH-FABRICS_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

A bunch of us have used him and been generally pretty happy with what came back.

Then take that cloth to this guy:

http://bownsbespoke.com/george.htm

Then post results...

6. Trimmer

Trimmer Super Member

UK
    England
    North Shields
    Alteration tailor in London

Care to recommmend one?

Trimmer

7. Bonhamesque

Bonhamesque Senior Member

That ebay seller looks to be great value but I'm a little concerned that he doesn't state which fabric merchant / mill the fabric comes from.
    Remember there is worsted wool and there is worsted wool.
    Personally I'd rather buy from a recognised merchant e.g. Holland & Sherry, H Lesser etc.

8. Bonhamesque

Bonhamesque Senior Member

Peter Zecca, 25 Kingly Street, W1

9. m@t

m@t Active Member with Corp. Privileges

far be it from me to tell you not to buy from name brand cloth mills (although Howard does regularly have H&S). Howard lives in that wool-district around Yorkshire and buys up end runs and flips to eBay.

However the original poster asked how he can get Ravi-esque prices without self measurement, cutting the cost of wool from 100GBP a meter to 50GBP for 3.5 meters is a huge step in the right direction, and he is still almost certainly getting a higher grade of wool than Ravi would be selling him.

10. cheeky

cheeky New Member

Great Britain
    West Midlands
    Walsall
    Hi All,

Would anyone be able to recommend a good tailor in London (not Saville Row) where I could get a suit made? I've recently moved to London from Birmingham. In the past I bought suitings from Howard of British Fabrics and then took them to a tailor in Birmingham. He was very reasonable and only charged me £350 for a two piece suit which was fully canvassed. He's now stopped trading and since I have moved to London I was wondering who people could recommend here that could provide a similar service (albeit I'm expecting the price will be more).