-->

Brooks Peal manufacturer and last

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Dcr5468, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Dcr5468

Dcr5468 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Louisiana
    Mandeville
    Is anyone aware of a way to tell who manufactured a particular shoe, as well as the last? I am likely purchasing a suede long wing at 25% off next week. I don’t mind paying more for a shoe I can try on in the store. I can purchase more at an online retailer with that info.

I doubt the sales associate will know. They are pushing the made in Italy Golden Fleece shoes which I find hideous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. JBierly

JBierly Super Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    This is a recurrent question - I am fairly certain the one pair of Peals I own are C and J. Alfred Sargent has also been reputed to be involved in the Peals brand. Don't know who makes their italian footwear.

3. never behind

never behind Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I purchased a pair of Peals last year. My internet sleuthing found a thread that postulated one row of nails on the heels was CJ while two was AS. My pair was the 240 last which I was able to discover was made my CJ and is similar to their 236 last.

I haven’t found anything comprehensive; you just have to research the specific last and hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. peterc

peterc Super Member

United States
    california
    san francisco
    The 240 last is incredibly comfortable. As many Peals as I have in that last, I wish I had bought more.

5. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Over the years I've seen many different UK makes rebranded as Peal. Don't know anything about the current line up. In the past, old Church, C&J, AS, Loake and Sanders and Sanders.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Honors Member and King Fop

United States
    California
    Long Beach
    ^Some decades back, I'm pretty sure Edward Green made the Brooks-Peal shoes. Alas, those days are long gone. I have had some Brooks salespeople tell me that the Peal shoes are made "in our Peal factory in England"--I don't know whether they were being merely ignorant or downright mendacious.

7. Dcr5468

United States
    Louisiana
    Mandeville
    The retail store also said they are discontinuing AE manufactured shoes all together. Based on the number of Shoebank BB shoes I assume QC and too many returns. That said I would expect further discounts on what is left.

8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Super Member

United States
    NJ
    Plainsboro
    Is this the shoe?
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.®-Suede-Long-Wingtips/624H,default,pd.html

Interesting sole, but the double row of nails on the heel and taller "Peal" font for the logo almost certainly mean it's made by Alfred Sargent. Probably some variant of their Shoreditch or Stepney designs.

9. Dcr5468

United States
    Louisiana
    Mandeville
    Yes. If the suede quality is good I will likely buy the AE that is also on sale for a good bit less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Dcr5468

United States
    Louisiana
    Mandeville
    I changed my mind in store and purchased a calfskin Peal by C&J -all I can say is WOW in comparison to the AEs in my closet. Now I just need to decide whether to return the navy suede Alden that was a bargain. The AE boulevard sitting in my office is going straight to UPS today...