Brioni Nomentano Vs. Palatino?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by johnnyblazini, Aug 27, 2006.

1. johnnyblazini

johnnyblazini Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain the differences in the different Brioni models? I know that there are a few others than the two stated in the thread title, please feel free to also discuss those...

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I don't have those two (unless either of the DBs I have fall under them), but have 2 SB Traiano suits.

Both Traianos I have are 3BSB with a relatively low button stance and narrow button spacing but a medium gorge and the typical Brioni chest/shoulders. Mild/Moderate waist suppression. Trousers are double pleated and have an average/generous cut. I actually had to get the trousers slimmed down a bit, esp at the base.

Here's a couple of pics of me in one of the Traianos:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also, what does Finissimo mean within the Brioni range? Is it a cut or a fabric designation? Both the DBs I have possess this designation.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  3. ranchsooner

ranchsooner Well-Known Member

I tried on a Nomentano this month and loved it. The shoulders were not quite as wide as the Brioni I own. I had not planned on buying any more Brioni because of the shoulder, but I would buy this model in a heartbeat.

4. Rollo Tomasi

Rollo Tomasi Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, the Palatino model I tried on had a more youthful cut with flat front pants. I couldn't offer more details than that other than I felt Nomentano was more a classic and timeless Brioni cut, thus the reason I chose it. The Millenio also has a nice classic cut with a narrower lapel. I purchased this suit during NM's First Call Sale, so it may be an older cut. The vast majority of Brionis NM seems to by buying is the Nomentano.

5. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

I hope someone can provide a definitive answer to your question, since I've been unable to find the answer. The salesmen at the Brioni store in Beverly Hills didn't even know!

6. FAC

FAC Member

It's been my experience that the Nomentano has more waist suppression, a slightly higher gorge, and a bit more shoulder and chest padding than the Palatano. In the Brioni store in Rome (the main one down the street from the Grand), the Nomentano is not stocked. The salesman there explained to me that the Palatano is a more generous cut which is more comfortable than the Nomentano. I find the Nomentano to be a cleaner looking silhouette.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  7. iammatt

iammatt Well-Known Member

That might come in handy in a long meeting where much coffee is consumed.

8. Chris Despos

Chris Despos Well-Known Member

good catch LOL

9. FAC

FAC Member

So that's why Brioni gets away with charging so much. It all makes sense now...

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Does anyone have side/side photos of the different Brioni silhouettes?

11. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

I looked at every Brioni suit at NM today and I'd didn't see a single Palatino. Is this an old model or new model?

12. johnnyblazini

I dont know, but I saw some NWT's on ebay...

13. WestOfPCH

WestOfPCH Member

I was in the Brioni store on Rodeo Drive last week for the first time ever, and the two suit jackets I tried on were both Palatino.

BTW: One was a beautiful caramel colored suit with a subdued glen-plaid. Super 180. Gorgeous. That said, I asked the sales guy about the wear of a Super 180, and how it isn't an 'everyday suit" because of the fineness of the fabric. He said that it absolutely was not true, and that the suit would last a long time.

14. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Of course he did. How many $5000 suits would he sell if he said the fabric was delicate and you should only wear the suit every once in a while? :devil:

15. WestOfPCH

WestOfPCH Member

Actually, it was a $6100 suit, to be exact . . .

16. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Oh...well, in that case he should tell the customer not to wear it too often. :icon_smile_big:

17. Rollo Tomasi

Rollo Tomasi Well-Known Member

I stand correct. The model was not a Palatino but a Millenio. There are only Nomentanos and Millenios in my NM.

18. johnnyblazini

So we dont actually have a Brioni expert on the forum? Shocking..!

Holdfast, thanks for the pics, anyone else have details on the traianos?

19. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

Tessuto, Finissimo, Bravo!!!

20. rkw5000

rkw5000 Well-Known Member

I have seen the Brioni MTM book at Harry Rosen and it describes the features of about 6-8 different models that Brioni offers. I'm sure the staff will have a copy at the Brioni shop on Rodeo or at NM.