Best TV show ever

Discussion in 'White Tie' started by toddorbertBU, May 18, 2013.

1. toddorbertBU

toddorbertBU Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Cleveland
    Now that we seem to be living in a golden age of scripted television shows, I'm curious what other members' favorite shows are.

Not the most original answer from me, but my favorite is The Wire. Even the worst season (season 5) is still as good as any other show I have ever seen. I read a quote somewhere that really encapsulates Wire fans' feelings about the show. The quote was "If your not watching The Wire, the government should confiscate your TV."

Other favorites are Breaking Bad, Justified, Law &Order, and Arrested Development.

So what are some other members favorite TV shows.

2. Dieu et les Dames

Dieu et les Dames Super Member

United States
    Florida
    Gulf Breeze
    Mad Men
    Seinfeld
    Tosh.0
    Modern Family
    Price Is Right

3. Hitch

Hitch Super Member

United States
    OR
    oregon city
    Palladin

4. Anthony Charton

Anthony Charton Super Member

UK
    Oxfordshire
    Oxford
    Okay, okay, I'll admit to being a Downton Abbey afictionado. It's mostly for the clothes, the casual classism, and Maggie Smith. Watching it in White Tie sipping a single malt is a whole new level of enjoyment.

5. dks202

dks202 Super Member

United States
    tx
    San Antonio
    Southland but I hate the short seasons!! What happened to a real TV season like the 60's and 70's when a TV season was 32-36 weeks long with a new episode each week! What's a season now, 6-8 weeks?

6. LordSmoke

LordSmoke Super Member

United States
    FLORIDA
    TALLAHASSEE
    Easy. "Deadwood" sans the last episode when it was killed off by HBO - an outrage! I almost cancelled my cable subscription over that, and I am not a particular fan of modern Westerns.

I agree "The Wire" was quite good. I would think, too, "Boardwalk Empire" would be popular with the forum denizen's, as well. Many good choices, though, despite a general lack of anything good to watch at any one time:

Star Trek (original series)
    Downton Abbey
    Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Bret)
    Poirot
    Morse
    House of Cards
    Prime Suspect (Helen Mirren)
    Mystery (most any series not already named)
    etc.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  7. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
  8. toddorbertBU

toddorbertBU Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Cleveland
    Seeing some of these responses makes me want to supplement my prior post:
    Sherlock (Ben Cumberbatch)
    Black Books
    The IT Dept
    Adventure Time
    West Wing

There really are so many good shows out there. I wish there was more of a British comedy presence here in the US. It seems that most of the good dramas/police procedurals make it here thru PBS Masterpiece and Mystery but British comedies don't have the same forum.

9. Acme

Acme Super Member

United States
    IL
    Chicago
    You might try Netflix, it's pretty good for that purpose. The only drawback is that they don't carry current stuff, but then there's always bootleggin', if you're not opposed to that sort of thing.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  10. Acme

Acme Super Member

United States
    IL
    Chicago
    Best TV show ever? I couldn't name one, but I can throw a few previously unmentioned favorites into the ring:

WKRP in Cincinatti
    Titus
    Wiseguy (the second season)
    Blackadder
    Reilly, Ace of Spies
    The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
    Nova
    ​Father Ted