Are the World's Best Men's Shoes Now Being Made in Japan?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Flanderian, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Sleek, sleeker, sleekest! Yohei Fukuda -

[​IMG]

Koji Endo Bottier -

[​IMG]

SG_67 likes this.
  2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    :icon_cheers:

3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Eiji Murata -

[​IMG]

Yohei Fukuda -

[​IMG]

4. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    How could one ever sufficiently steel themselves to possibly scuff the pristine soles of those Murata Cap toes. Not I, I fear. :(

5. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    :happy: I was thinking of just keeping them as shaving mirrors! :D

eagle2250 likes this.
  6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    Scuff them, I wouldn't even insult them by forcing them to sit in the closet with my plebeian shoes.

Kidding aside, they are too nice for my wardrobe in the same way a $4000 Loro Piana cashmere sport coat is too nice for my wardrobe: it would look and feel incongruous with my mid-price stuff.

Sure, with thoughtfulness, one can mix and match some less and more expensive items in an outfit (Upr does it well all the time), but those shoes would scream "I don't belong here" with a J.Crew suit, Press OCBD and BB tie. They need a Purple-Label, Oxxford or the equivalent suit to "feel" right.

eagle2250 likes this.
  7. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    You, Sir, are a wise man. I on the other hand have had to learn the hard way, spending far too much on items whose per price cost was way beyond what I was able to comfortably wear, absent undue doubts as to my ability to wear such without damaging the boots, the sweater, the chapeau, etc. and being out all that money. Hence, such items have been culled from the hoard and I've forfeited being able to enjoy any real value for the amount(s) of money spent. :crazy:

8. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    I'm not wise, just cheap. In truth, I've learned the above by having bought a few incredible items on ridiculous sale over the years only to find, like you, I worry too much about them to fully enjoy them and, two, as noted in my previous post, they really don't work well with the rest of my outfit as they "out" elegance or "out" quality or "out" something my other items.

I worked with a guy for years - a private banker - whose entire wardrobe was at the level of the shoes in this thread. That wardrobe was incredible, in part, because each item was impressive, but also because it all fit together seamlessly since it was all at the same very high level of refinement and workmanship.

I remember sitting next to him in a meeting one day - he had his legs crossed and the bottom of his shoes looked like the bottom of the shoes in some of the pics in this thread. In person, they are more impressive than here. I understood then that I couldn't blend those shoes in with my other clothes - they needed his bespoke suits and shirts, etc., to work / to look natural.

eagle2250 likes this.
  9. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Eiji Murata -

[​IMG]

Fading Fast likes this.
  10. Dhaller

Dhaller Super Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    I think the trick is simply to keep to the red carpets.

It's pavement which is the problem!

DH