-->

Are the World's Best Men's Shoes Now Being Made in Japan?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Flanderian, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I think they might be. A bold question or perhaps only a foolish one. But superlatives beg comparisons. First I haven't personally traded with all the world's shoemakers, or even all of those in Japan. So I'm going strictly by eyeball scrutiny of those to which I've been exposed. And foolish also because of the proper esteem held for the many fine makes of Northamtonshire, Italy, Spain and eastern Europe.

And what do I mean by best? Because it can quite properly mean different things to different people. My definition is simple, the most beautiful shoes, of the most careful precision made from exquisite materials. And based solely upon this description, the shoes I'm seeing are not of the best, but among the best ever!

Now should you wish to ask how you may acquire such, it's really simple, all you will need is $3,000+, a round trip 1st class ticket to Japan, and about a year's patience. :D

Seiji McCarthy -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TYE Shoemakers -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yohei Fukuda -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the hoof -

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Bjorn, numbercrunch and no_surrender like this.
  2. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    For some reason I am seriously uninterested. $3K? For something to put on my feet? I think not.

3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I love fine automobiles. I would very much enjoy and appreciate a Bentley. For me it's not a status symbol, it's an experience. I've never had one, and shall not, and I'm fine with that. But that makes one no less beautiful or wonderful.

Bjorn likes this.
  4. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    Okay, in that mode I feel the same way about shotguns. Own an original Dickson round action? Not in this lifetime. But I have to admit that I feel they are the ultimate. I once had the opportunity to handle (fondle!) several David McKay Brown round actions. It was a near religious experience.

5. Adelstensfostre

Adelstensfostre Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Norway
    Østfold
    Fredrikstad
    Although I can just about wrap my head around the concept of spending $3000 for a pair of shoes, threads like this is a constant, and very welcome, reminder of why I will never do so.

To my eye and my sensibilities, the shoes pictured are more akin to pretty ornaments most suited for displaying on a mantelpiece or display case. Though undeniably lovely and undoubtedly of the highest quality, most are simply far, far and away too dandified and effete for me to consider both buying and wearing.

Fortunately for me and my wallet both, my tastes are securely anchored in Northampton. Still, if I should ever find myself with $3000 I can think of absolutely no other use for and an empty mantelpiece to boot, who knows.....

6. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    Japanese or not, those shoes are stunning. The sleek silhouettes are captivating.

no_surrender likes this.
  7. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    To muddy my own waters, I don't believe these are Japanese, but aren't they remarkable? (Don't let Roger see them! :D)

upload_2017-8-20_1-4-36.png

jtbing likes this.
  8. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    Skoaking the fire!

9. winghus

winghus Senior Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Greensboro
    Those are Bonafe I believe. There was a pair on ebay not too long ago.

10. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :icon_hailthee: