Anyone Else Bothered by Something About this Jacket?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Flanderian, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Flanderian

Flanderian Well-Known Member

IMG_5389.jpg

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-brioni-prince-of-wales-check.html

All things considered, this is a beautiful jacket, and while I'm not certain I'd call it a P.O.W. or glencheck, that may well be because of my own ignorance. But does anyone else see something surprising, or is it just me?

Edit: The photo I could post is too small, you need to go to the link and look at the expanded photo. (Right click, and open in new window.)

2. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

There are too many colours in it, so it's neither a Prince of Wales nor a glen check. But there are just too many bright colours in it in general.

3. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Well-Known Member

It's not in any way a glen plaid. It's just a plaid, and a somewhat loud one at that.

With that being said, it's hard to say what it really looks like based on this one photo. I'm not sure I like it or not, but this photo wouldn't give me the information to make that decision.

4. Jovan

Jovan Honors Member

Button stance is rather low, no?

5. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

The pattern on the pocket flaps is out of line.

6. Barry_432

Barry_432 Active Member

View attachment 9477

Its not a POW I would consider, as has been mentioned too many colours. The buttons are too low plus the pocket flaps patterning does not correspond to the jacket - lazy cutting. Not sure about the way the pattern is interrupted by the pleats at the front too - a bit of a mess.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  7. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur<br>Moderator

LOL. Strike me down if you must, but while the pattern gives the initial impression of being somewhat busy and the jacket is hung poorly on a second rate valet, the jacket, when rightfully considered, strikes me as acceptably handsome. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm not wearing my glasses at the moment! ;)

8. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

This.

9. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

It is not out of line. The pattern on the pocket flaps lines up with the pattern below the pocket flaps, as it should on darted jacket. There are two ways to avoid this:

1) Don't use front darts
    2) Extend the dart down to the bottom of the jacket

The second method is how some tailors cut their suits, and instead of a side body they just have a dart under the arm.

10. Flanderian

Bingo on matching the pattern on the pocket flaps! :icon_cheers:

It could simply be that the shape of the jacket and the darts don't allow better matching, but on a jacket of this class, I find it surprising. It's slightly distracting because of the bold nature of the plaid, which I love. Beautiful colors, IMHO! :thumbs-up:

11. Flanderian

Matt, I take your point, and suspect you're correct! It's unlikely that Brioni would simply overlook this.

Well done! :thumbs-up:

12. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, my front-darted Kiton is the same. Good call.

13. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

Do you think such bold plaids should only be made without darts in the front? The left pocket flap is perfectly matched, and I can't tell if the right one is a little off or if the flap is just sticking out.

14. medhat

medhat Well-Known Member

it may not be as "bad" as it appears in the pictures. The angle of the photo (above the jacket, shooting down) could significantly alter the perceived button stance versus how it appears when the owner is wearing it. And NM and Brioni aren't new to the game, so I woudn't write it off without further pics. But the pattern isn't to my tastes, but that's just me (well, and several others!).