-->

Afraid I've got a SuitSupply wedding mess (fit check?)

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by dman081, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Dr. Pain

Dr. Pain New Member

United States
    Virginia
    Charlottesville
    Hi

Sounds like you had a very bad experience at least initially. From what I've read about Suitsupply and reviews I've seen online most are very satisfied. I actually own two sports jackets (suit supply Washington). I think the Washington cut would be perfect for you. 44 regular would fit. The Washington is typically true to size. Very Tom Ford like without the $5000 price tag.

2. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    I'll try that fit. Thanks for the suggestions. It's not one I'd normally try on, due to the rather heavily padded shoulders they mmention in their notes.

3. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    Why do you fear shoulder padding so much? Is it a fear from the wide shoulders of the '90s? Padding can look great and feel natural if the fit is good.

4. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    I naturally have broad, and prominent, rather non-sloping shoulders. I've always thought—perhaps incorrectly—that a mostly unstructured shoulder looked best on me.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  5. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    The purpose of shoulder padding is to help the suit maintain its shape more than it is to build up someone's shoulders. I know I have seen this suit from Suitsupply, but I don't think it would make a broad-shouldered man look bad. You want to avoid very thick padding, but I think this suit from Suitsupply might be alright.

6. Lieutenant

Lieutenant Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Virginia
    Gloucester
    I always wish I had the courage to order a suit from a place like Black Lapel or Suit Supply - but as someone with an odd body that is incredibly hard to fit in person, I can only image what I would be sent!

I salute your courage - you tried it, it didn't work out.

7. The Irishman

The Irishman New Member

Ireland
    Leinster
    Dublin
    When I got married I actually also went with a made to measure offering... I had two fittings with a Zegna tailor and ordered from them.

My experience was very similar to the OP's. The first suit they sent me was completely bizarre, as if it had been cobbled together for someone else entirely. Although all came right in the end I regret, to this day, that I did not simply buy an off the rack option and be done with it, since really I have a pretty standard physique. It would have saved some stress and fair bit of shouting giving out down the phone and at a Zegna concession on my part.

8. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    Four months later... The wedding went off successfully. And it happened with me in a suit that looked, at worst, not too shabby! I'll have to post some photos later, but here's how the story panned out:

I went back to Suit Supply a few days before the wedding and said, basically, this thing just doesn't look right. I was helped by a different employee, who agreed right away that it was all wrong. To his and SS's credit he then immediately said, "let's start again." I tried on the same cut in a 42r, and the Napoli in the same size. I still preferred the fabric, cut and structure of the Lazio. But it was clear the Napoli fit my larger chest more comfortably. Plus, there wasn't much time for serious alterations. One or two days later I tried on the altered suit with it looking good to me.

All said and done this second suit—with minimal alterations needed—was half the price of the original, and I ended up with my wedding suit and a ~$450 gift card. While I otherwise likely wouldn't have gone back to SS for another suit any time soon, the way this worked out was satisfactory for me. Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everyone.

9. medhat

medhat Super Member

United States
    Wisconsin
    Madison
    First, I'd definitely return it, and with store credit (unless they'll give you a refund), I'd come in with a list of all you think is/was 'wrong' with this suit, along with pictures. Make duplicates, keep a copy, give one to them. Yes, longer suit (but not too much). Yes, fix the pants. Yes, fix the body of the suit. I'd personally not go with a SS ticket pocket; it's too high, too long, and IMO a less than optimal choice with what will undoubtably be another very slim-fitting suit.

I think many on the Forum will agree, SS for large part does the idea of MTM a disservice. You yourself have pointed out that your prior OTR suits have fit better. I'd have thought by now that SS would have improved their customer service.

Oops, somehow I missed your last post. Congrats on the wedding, and likewise that SS seems to pull it out at the end. Happy endings all around.