Afraid I've got a SuitSupply wedding mess (fit check?)

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by dman081, Aug 28, 2017.

1. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
    If the alterations tailor is good and the salesmen are not- always have the tailor select the coat and pants from the rack. A good tailor wants to do the lest amount of work and the customer has the best fitting garments from that store. The salesmen job is that you part with your money. The scope of fitted clothes is often out of their territory.

Perhaps, suspenders can be used to pull up the back of the pants. It may not work because of fitting problems. As far as the coat goes it looks like the front is cut to "straight" for your body. A "crooked" cut, or, adaption, would bring the fronts towards the center a little more. If the hemline is not level the neck lines need to be adjusted, front raised and back lowered, or vicea versa. The bottom of the armhole is way to low for that coat. The armholes are way to big by depth. The only waistline of coats are important. If to low the coat doesn function very well. If to high, my opinion, it looks silly. Anyway, events are more important than clothes.

2. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    The armholes, right; I was really surprised at how low they go. For a jacket that's pretty constrictive in the shoulders and back, what are armholes that low doing there? Seems like a sloppy design...but I'm so far from knowing what good reasons they might have had for doing that.

3. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    This all sounds spot on to me. I appreciate the thoroughness. It helps me (and others) learn from this. And I do like to think I am an example of a "good set of body," lol! Although I will admit my torso is a bit shorter than ideal/most fit models (and my chest is bigger, shoulders flatter and a bit broader than my height, weight, and frame would suggest.

Your comments on posture are very prescient. I've often noticed with jackets I've tried on there's a small envelope with how one can stand and have it look great. Then with a little variation in posture it falls apart. I make it tougher with the little self improvement goal I have ongoing of improving my poor posture. At this point it's tough to know what my natural posture is; I've been doing corrective exercises and poses for long enough that it all feels less than natural at this point.

4. Searching_Best_Fit

Searching_Best_Fit Senior Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Mississauga
    There are people who are trying their best to be observed as their legs are longer than their torso. That is the fundamental *thing* of current short-jacket trend. You just have that easy so don't blame yourself.

Just keep on the exercise to maintain a good posture. Don't over-do it when posting for picture because it will skew the viewers' perception on how a suit should fit. Eventually you will find the comfortable and healthy posture that you have and then have the suit fitted for that posture.

5. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas

A happy update to the story...

I took the suit back for a third time, explaining that I just was not happy with how it turned out. I tried it on and the salesman agreed. He asked who fitted me for it; the name I gave didn't seem to fit what he was suspecting. In any case, he did say he could see why the original salesman went with the short—for the SuitSupply fit, the regular jacket could be considered just a bit long on me. (I didn't agree.) But he agreed the button stance and overall fit didn't work at all. And he couldn't figure out how the pants ended up as they did, after tapering especially.

Without me asking, he offered to start anew. So I tried on a 42R in the Lazzio and in the Napoli fit. I loved how to Lazzio looked, although it was still probably shorter than most here prefer. But I ended up going with the Napoli. I don't care for it's more padded shoulders or borderline too-aggressive waist suppression. But it is longer, and most important has a fuller chest that allows me more arm movement than the Lazzio.

This new suit with alterations should end up about half the cost of the old one; the difference I'm getting as store credit...which is nearly enough to get a second Napoli suit. I will try and update with photos of the new one when I pick it up (if there's time).

jackmccullough likes this.
  6. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I'm glad you're happy with what you got.

7. never behind

never behind Senior Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    That's great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dman081 likes this.
  8. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    It's still not the fit I'd love to have, nor the exactly the color. But if I forget about the hassle it took to get here, I'm happy with the value I got. By all accounts they're well made, and it looks good enough. I guess pants alterations are still to be seen, though.

I plan to eventually take it to another tailor and get a few tweaks done, including letting out the waist suppression if possible. (Is it possible?)

9. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I guess I have in my mind what your experience was compared to what it should have been. You got a suit you're halfway happy with for 1 1/2 times the price.

But at this point, you did the best you could.

Hopefully, the suit you wore will be the least significant part of your impending nuptials.
    Mazel tov! :beer:

10. medhat

medhat Super Member

United States
    Wisconsin
    Madison
    There should be enough fabric to let the waist out. A tailor will let you know.