-->

Afraid I've got a SuitSupply wedding mess (fit check?)

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by dman081, Aug 28, 2017.

1. medhat

medhat Super Member

United States
    Wisconsin
    Madison
    Well...what everyone else said. Sorry, you're yet another victim of SS and their consistently poor tailoring, which severely exacerbates initially poor measurements (they measuring you, not YOUR poor measurments!). Can it be salvaged? IMO I wouldn't bet Mayweather/Mcgregor money on it, but there are things you can insist SS do. First it fix the pants, starting with length. You may find that improves the overall look significantly on it's own. Second on my list is the (sorry) atrocious button stance; any higher and it'll be up near your nipples (not desirable).

As far as sales associates, it would be interesting to know the measures (no pun intended) by which they are compensated (or bonused), but in all honesty customer satisfaction does not seem to be one of the metrics.

May sound mean-spirited, but as you've already paid your money, I'd be a pain in the ass with them regarding alterations until either you're satisfied with the final product or they refund your money.

2. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    Good question. In most cases no, not that I noticed. And none look nearly as bad as mine.

3. Searching_Best_Fit

Searching_Best_Fit Senior Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Mississauga
    Warning: long wall-of-text coming up...

I will try not to repeat what others have said already. However, IMO there is one thing that you need to understand and learn: what suits best suit your built? Without looking at your other suits, I can only based my statements with these pictures.

Trousers:

This pair of trousers seems serviceable because it is not too tight, unlike from pictures I have seen from other Suit Supply suits. I am thinking that since you get a 44 short, the pants come in with larger waist band than your size 33 waist. Some waist reduction, if any, maybe done. The strange ripples under your rears could be caused by the way you wear the pants: hanging on the hip, too loose, or other reason. One thing that you can try is to pull up the center back seam on the back of trouser (where both waist bands meet) to see if you can get a nice drape from your rears down. If by doing that it resolves the issue, you can try adding brace (suspenders) buttons and use braces to improve the drape.

The hem is too long, but that is an easy fix by taking out the hem, readjust the length, and sew the hem back. The ideal length for you should be little break (6' tall). What that means is that there would be no stacking or rumbling above your angle, but a simple or tiny break at the front of trousers, while a nice straight line at the back down to cover your shoes.

That should probably solve the issues on trousers

Jacket:

I agree that this jacket is a no-hope failure for a classical fitted jacket. Well, on the positive note, it does make your legs longer, but that is not what you want for your built. If you want a balanced fit with a longer leg-to-torso ratio, you should hide your legs into the jacket and use the buttoning point to proportionate the top and bottom. In this case, the ideal buttoning point should be somewhat 1" or 2" below its current position. At 6' tall, you are borderline regular to long size, depends on how you want it.

Actually, with a 42R you should enjoy a better fitted suit: The buttoning point should be lower being a regular, the sleeve will be longer but you should be able to trim out 1/2" to 1" even with functional buttonholes (SS thing). The pants should have smaller waists and the front and back is probably better fitted.

I am thinking this is an example of a good set of body fitted with short, trendy jackets for not caring what the customer wants.

Going forward, IMHO you should see if you can return this suit back and get money back or store credits that you can use in the future. On the other hand, if you want a trendy fit, by fixing the trousers you are almost there. There were talking about the sleeve rumbling, I think there are caused by the way you rest your arms for the pictures. It is not as significant as the shortness of the jacket, but kind of secondary or non-existent if you move the arms to your natural posture.

One last thing, and others may not agree with me, is how you normally stand (your posture) can affect your fit, especially with the trendy slim-fit suit. The reason for this is that since OTR suits are built based on a regular posture for a given size. A slim-fit suit has less margin of error from that size. So even if you have the correct chest and waist sizes for a suit, by standing over-erect (chest front and arms back) or slouching (chest in, arms around) the suit will look completely different. So when buying OTR suits you also need to consider how you stand normally to fit that particular suit. I am thinking that the second last picture showing you putting chest out that cause the lapel pulling. You can prove it by moving your arms in or out a bit to see how it reflects on the lapels.

Hope this helps.

MarcDavidMiller and dman081 like this.
  4. phyrpowr

phyrpowr Honors Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Charlotte
    I think the pitch of the sleeves is too forward (they don't hang straight down enough) and the armholes are too large and low. Neither are fixable.
    Are your pants belted, or suspendered? They seem like they need pulling up at the back, but their whole fit is questionable.

5. Cassadine

Cassadine Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler

That is an, umm, a precise, dare I say "surgical" analysis.

6. Cassadine

Cassadine Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    On the very positive side. Seriously, they'll be looking at your bride, not you. Unless you show up looking like a Rhinestone Cowboy, only the photos will recall what you wore. When is the wedding? Do you live near a major metropolitan area where you might have access to a RTW suit of relative quality if you're in a time crunch?

7. never behind

never behind Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I've learned this lesson way too many times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    Thanks for the bright-side argument. :) Wedding's not this week but the next. Based on pre-travel, today's or tomorrow are the last days I could start with something else and have any amount of tailoring done.

I should be fine wearing an older cotton suit I have (from Express, no less) that's not altered, off the rack. It's far inferior in build and materials. But fits better, in my opinion, and feels much better.

9. Woofa

Woofa Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Fort Worth
    Okay, your wedding is next weekend so I don’t think your going to have a lot of options. IMO, if you hemmed the pants correctly, this suit fits at least as well as a rental tuxedo would for your pictures (If you could rent one in time anyway.) If you had to wear it, while it is certainly not up to the fit standards of AAAC, it is, also IMO, no worse and probably better than most fits I see on a regular basis. Having said that, you have obviously spent some money here and I would do my best to try and recoup that either in a credit or if possible a full refund after the wedding.

Suit Supply is, generally speaking not going to give the type of fit that will be accepted at AAAC. Having said that, their demographic are for the most part, not a Brooks Brothers customer. One or two members of TOF have justified their conclusion that you can get a well-fitting CM suit from SS but I would argue that you need to be an experienced suit buyer with no problem going against the advice of their sales people who tend to be young, thin and fashionable (The last things I would want my salesperson to be.) Also, IMO, the cuts are generally not suited for those of us who weigh more than 135 pounds. Hickey Freeman and similar brands will suit a real mans body better and are (or at least were,) cut to help hide those love handles and extra pounds.)
    Having said that, I know someone who works at a local SS and their basic business model is solid, similar to ALDI, and if you can make it work fit wise (or just don’t care,) you can get a higher quality product for less money. IMO, if you are over 35 and not an expert in these matters, best to stay away as the chance for a mistake is just too great. I congratulate you on your upcoming wedding and hope you will be a return AAAC member afterwards.

HanEyeAm likes this.
  10. medhat

medhat Super Member

United States
    Wisconsin
    Madison
    "Fits and feels better". Can't ask for much more than that. Essentially no one will be judging you or the wedding on the basis of the build quality or the materials of your suit. If it's that much older, you have plenty of time to send it to the cleaners to have it cleaned and pressed. That'd be my recommendation. Heck, if you really want to splurge, get yourself a new shirt, tie, and shoes. And congrats.

HanEyeAm and jackmccullough like this.