-->

Afraid I've got a SuitSupply wedding mess (fit check?)

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by dman081, Aug 28, 2017.

1. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    For my quickly upcoming wedding, I went with a SuitSupply suit. I figured what better excuse to get a higher quality suit than my usual Banana Republic, etc. What I've ended up with is...well I'm not quite sure. But it feels like a minor mess. I don't even want to mention what it cost.
    • I went with a Lazio for its minimal shoulder padding
    • I sized up to a 44 short, from my usual 42 regular to accommodate my chest
    • (I'm a 33 waist, 6 feet tall, 185 lb., fit but by no means a body builder, with a naturally bigger chest than average.)
    I was hesitant to go with the suit as the jacket felt a little tight in the chest and front of shoulders (despite sizing up), and there was significant gapping of the lapel at the chest. The tailor and salesman assured me they'd make it work, though.

After two tailoring sessions with their in-house tailor---including taking in the jacket neck, lapel shaping, arm shortening, and pants tapering---it all still feels and looks wrong to me. The button seems to be pulling, the waist suppression looks odd, the chest and lapel don't lay flat, and pants are oddly billowy at the top... Compared to Banana Republic standard fit, and and old Express suit I have that feel right, right off the rack, this one feels like it just isn't working.

I'd really appreciate any thougths on fit---am I wrong, does it look alright?

front (2).jpg back (2).jpg arm out.jpg left side.jpg diagonal.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    There's good news and there's bad news.

I'll give you the bad news first - the suit is appalling.

The good news? One of our members with a kinder, more tactful, soul will tell you why the suit is appalling.

3piece and dman081 like this.
  3. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    Hah! Well that in itself is good and bad news--it really isn't looking right, and I'm not crazy. Feel free to let it rip yourself, if you feel the urge

4. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    Basics -

Trousers too long (that can be fixed) but rear of trousers hang in a bizarre manner, almost as if a larger pair of trousers have been spliced on to a smaller pair?

Jacket cuff buttons too high (that can be fixed if they are decorative not working) and jacket sleeves a smidgen too short.

Jacket length too short although younger chaps go in for that type of thing these days so you could probably get away with it in a pinch.

Jacket quarters splayed - the jacket should hang as if the bottom button is fastened even when it isn't.

An excess of material between the shoulder blades - fixable but the jacket is already pulling slightly at the front.

Sleeve heads gathered but something else about the sleeves that is beyond my capacity to accurately describe....?

5. never behind

never behind Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I have to say I'm a newbie and trying to learn about proper fit...but those pants. I've been staring at them for 10 minutes trying to figure them out. I've never seen a pair look that way. It's as if you have a horrendous case of static cling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Jacket is too short. Despite what you see in fashion ads, it's not the way a jacket should fit. A size short is typically for someone 4" shorter than you. Why did you get a short?

7. dman081

dman081 Starting Member

United States
    TX
    Dallas
    A couple reasons. First, that's what they recommended when they sized me up to 44. And second, I have longer legs and a shorter torso than average.

I was hesitant but figured it made some sense. A 44 regular would seem to be too long, given I usually wear a 42 regular. I don't actually mind the length, at the bottom. But the button stance does look oddly high to me.

8. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I've never shopped Suit Supply, but the last time I had reason to investigate the issue in general, the difference in length among jackets with different chest sizes was little to negligible within a given length, I.E., regular, short and long. This is unlike items sized small, medium and large where length is often proportionate to size.

The button stance is too high in part for that reason, but it is also a function of the cut.

From what I can see, I'd like a jacket somewhere between an 1 1/4" to an 1 1/2" longer as an ideal, but could live with two inches longer.

Edit: As an aside, if the pants were shortened to a proper length, your legs will look longer in proportion to your jacket.

Double Edit: The length of the jacket should comprise roughly half the length of your torso plus legs.

9. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    Like many suit makers, SuitSupply does not proportion most of their suits to properly fit and flatter the human body. They may have a different model that works better for you, but their cuts are all a bit off. Apart from a few high-end brands, this is the case just about everywhere.

10. Maljunulo

Maljunulo Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Connecticut
    Vernon
    Jacket too short, pants too long, just to start.