A really great shirt from Deo Veritas

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Andy, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Andy

Andy Site Creator/Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Palm Desert
    Admin Post
    I just got a shirt from Deo Veritas and it's really great. I liked it so much (and don't recommend this), but the day I got it, I pressed it and wore it that night!!

Planet - Thin Red Twill Check
    100% Italian Cotton by Tessitura Monti
    2 Ply - 80 Thread Count
    Twill Weave
    Medium Weight
    Price $72.00 US

[​IMG]

Deo Veritas is a US based company!

The number of options you get to choose on their internet site are fantastic and fun. Shopping is actually easy. The quality of the fabrics and craftsmanship of the shirts is great, and they are readily available to discuss options.

Lots of details on Andy's Recommendations Page

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/FrontPGArticles/Andy's%20Recommendations.htm

2. Cottonshirt

Cottonshirt Active Member with Corp. Privileges

It may well be a great shirt Andy, and if you're happy with it I quess that's all that matters. But we do not normally use thread count to describe shirting fabrics.

3. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Moderator

ahh. and how do you describe shirting fabric?

it should not say thread count, becuase that is not the thread count but the size of the yarn.
    how would you describe shirt fabric.

4. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    Andy, do you have any pictures of you wearing the shirt? Which measuring route did you go and how well does it fit? How's the fabric? This place has a lot to offer and I really like their options (flowback cuff especially). This is one place I may seriously consider.

5. Cottonshirt

Cottonshirt Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I generally describe shirting by describing the weave using a yarn count system. I say "a" yarn count system because there are two basic systems of yarn count, with variations.

Fixed Weight System
    In a fixed weight yarn count system, the number represents the number of yarns of a standard length of yarn it would take to weigh some standard amount. These systems are generally used for numbering spun yarns of natural fibre, and the standard weight is generally 1lb, but there are a number of different "standard" lengths. In parts of Scotland the length is a cut of 200 yds, while in Yorkshire it is a skein of 256yds. Worsted yarns are generally measured with a hank of 560 yds, linen is normally measured with a Lea of 300 yds, and cotton fabrics including shirting are generally measured with a hank of 840 yds.

Therefore, a number 80 cotton yarn would take 80 lengths of 840 yds to weigh 1lb, and a higher number equates to a finer yarn.

But that's a single-ply yarn. When the yarn is plied (or plyed, I've seen both spellings) the yarn is two (or more) times as thick and the length required to weigh 1lb is reduced by that factor. In this case the single number (80 in the case above) becomes a compound number ( 2/40's for example) in which the first number is the ply of the yarn and the second number is the number of fixed lengths that make up the standard weight. So, a shirting yarn described as 2/40's is composed of 2-ply yarns and it will take 40 hanks of 840 yds each to weigh 1lb.

To properly describe some shirtings we need two of these numbers to account for different yarns in the warp and the weft. So an Oxford, for example, might be composed of 2/80's in the warp with 2/24's in the weft, and this would be described as 2/24's x 80.

Fixed Length System
    These systems are generally used for man-made fibres such as rayon and polyester, and are also used for silk. It is based on the weight (usually in grams) of a fixed length of yarn. The Denier system used for women's stockings is such a system, and 12-denier stockings are woven of yarns so fine that a 9,000 metre length weighs just 12 grams. The TEX system is also a fixed length system in which the fixed length is 1 kilometre. So if a yarn has a TEX count of 10 then 1 Km of it would weigh 10 grams. In the TEX system they refer to plies as folds, and "plied" becomes "folded", and the number should always be followed by the word TEX.

6. Odd I/O

Odd I/O New Member

According to their FAQ:

Is this normal in quality shirting fabrics?

FAQ located here: http://www.deoveritas.com/faqs.php

7. aluminiumfish

aluminiumfish Active Member with Corp. Privileges

UK
    Hampshire
    Basingstoke
    one of my customers , who has endless deep pockets , prefer a particular shirt tailor because he deals with Nylon ( polyamide) and polyester mixes...unlike most shirt tailors who find it beneath them to deal with

He can't be that good though because he gets the shirt cuffs taken up by us.

my favourite OTR shirt ever was a nylon, lycra, cotton mix..Thomas Pink.

8. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    This also concerned me. The fabric descriptions all denote 100% cotton. If the fabrics had polymide fibres that would most certainly dissuade me from buying their shirts. One thing that is very strange is that I just went back to that page and now I can't find where it says that.

9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Super Member

Any current promotions for AAAC members?

BTW, is it me, or is the pocket angled?

10. Vinnie Sikka

Vinnie Sikka Starting Member

Gentlemen,

As the founder of Deo Veritas, I just thought I'd take the time to chime in and introduce myself to the whole AAAC club.

I noticed a couple of questions with regards to the fabric material. All Deo Veritas fabric is in fact 100% cotton (by Monti). The line within the FAQ that talked about nylon (polyamide) fibers was in reference to a number of "entry level" fabrics we were initially planning on carrying. However, after examining that fabric in greater detail, we made the decision to not go that direction. That line should have been removed some time ago. Sorry for any confusion.

In addition, we're in the process of securing / adding a number of fabrics from Monti's Premium Prince Rose line. I'll let you all know once we have these available.

Lastly, the pocket shown on our shirt designer is not angled. It's just how the pocket was lying when we shot the shirt images.

I love feedback so if you guys have any questions / issues / suggestions, please just let me know!

-Vinnie
    http://deoveritas.com

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009