A Little Discussed Aspect of Shoe Care.

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Flanderian, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    And that may be because it's readily apparent to all, but anyway . . . . :oops:

While essentially only cosmetic (And in addition to the application of whatever balms and poultices you feel compelled to slather upon the hide. ;)) the top of the welt where it has those little ridges and joins the uppers steadily collects dust and occasionally other debris as well. This can easily be overlooked, but does a lot to degrade the appearance of footwear. So for many years an indispensible part of my gear is a worn-out soft variety toothbrush. Brushed along the top of the welt, it quickly and easily removes any dust, etc., and does a lot to improve and maintain the appearance of footwear.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Cyril likes this.
  2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Thank you for posting this because I've been meaning to do just that but keep forgetting or putting off.

3. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    That's a solid tip.

4. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Good advice and so very well put! :thumbs-up:

5. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Great to hear from y'all!!! I been thinkin'! Hurricanes? No sweat!

[​IMG]

6. RaulM

RaulM Starting Member

Venezuela
    nueva esparta
    porlamar
    Lol

7. Orsini

Orsini Honors Member

United States
    California
    Lawndale
    That's a nice touch. And it shows attention to detail.

8. Cassadine

Cassadine Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Butler
    I've only recently begun to purchase seriously well-made shoes. However, I'm happy to admit that I did this type of cleaning even to my lesser shoes.

9. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    Toothbrushes are indispensable in terms of detail cleaning on footwear. As you mentioned, they are especially good for cleaning exposed welts.

10. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    And think of the time saved if you do it in the morning right before brushing your teeth! It's like Kramer's salad.

11. eagle2250

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Thank you, my friend. We were very fortunate. Irma came and like the big bad wolf she huffed and she puffed...but failed to blow down this "little pig's/eagle's" home, though the beast did blow down two of my trees and left our shrubbery looking decidedly battle worn and needing a good amount of future attention. We are getting on with the exterior clean up and are praying for those less fortunate. :hidden:

12. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Ah, that's a blessing!

Sad about the trees, but all things considered, a real blessing. So fortunate that all are well.

13. never behind

never behind New Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Glad to hear you are well. The place would be gloomier without your cheerful posts.

And thanks for the handy tip, Flanderian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I had expected Eagle might have built something like this for his shoe collection!

[​IMG]

15. eagle2250

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^
    Thanks to both of you for the kind thoughts and words, but if it's going to hold my shoe/boot collection,paraphrasing Roy Scheider from that iconic movie Jaws, "We gotta get a bigger boat!" LOL. ;)

16. Chris Giakoumakos

Chris Giakoumakos Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Tampa
    United States
    Florida
    Tampa
    Forgive my ignorance but why would a toothbrush be different than the brushing you give with the horsehair brush?

17. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo New Member

United States
    Michigan
    East Lansing
    Would it be necessary to condition or treat the welt with any sort of poultices?

18. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    That's a good question. But without comparing the detailed mechanics of the two processes, the short answer is, it works better. I know this because I do both, and when I'm too lazy to get out the toothbrush which is packed away with the my other shoe stuff, the horsehair brush doesn't do as thorough a job. I'm sure it has to do with size, shape and bristles.

19. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Nope. But I'm sure someone would be more than happy to create and sell you "Welt Balm" if you insist! ;)

sterlingindigo likes this.
  20. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Nj
    South
    A picture is needed here. So I know what part of the shoe is being addressed.