59000 Deaths Annually!

Discussion in 'The Interchange' started by eagle2250, Jun 7, 2017.

1. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Last evening I listened to Scott Pelley and the CBS evening news team report that 59000 annual deaths in the USA are attributable to illegal substance over doses, a 19% increase over the previous year! As reported, this figure represents as many lives lost as those lost throughout the US's entire involvement in the Vietnam conflict. Why do we as a society seem to so blithely accept these entirely preventable deaths? Where is the public outrage? Why have we not risen, en-mass, against these inexcusable deaths? We really do seem to have lost any semblance good sense. :icon_scratch:

2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    I'll tell you exactly why. It's because such reporting does not conveniently fit into a liberal media narrative such as "blood for oil" or police bias.

I think you're starting to see a murmuring of how this will proceed. The AG of Ohio, Mike Dewine, is going to try to sue the drug makers for the addiction problem in his state. I think it's ridiculous but I have a feeling once a few opinion makers coalesce around this narrative, the media will start down the road of blaming evil big pharma for the problem.

The other problem, in my opinion, is that to confront the drug problem, especially he illegal drug problem, is to tread on some pretty dangerous grounds politically. Much of the illegal drug trade comes to us via the southern border. The trade is largely an enterprise of organized criminal gangs, many of whom have their basis in the minority neighborhoods.

Most, nearly all, of the murders committed in Chicago are done so by criminal gangs vying for control of the drug trade. Of course when local politicians simply call it "gun violence" it's a bit difficult for people far removed from the local scene to get overly excited.

Drug addiction is a disease and needs to be treated as such. However, this notion that it's like cancer or asthma without a recognizable antecedent is pure folly and political cowardice.

When federal officials refer to drug dealers as "non violent offenders" I'm the one who's offended. I can guarantee, beyond any doubt, that somewhere between the manufafturing of that drug to its end user, some violence occurred.

3. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    There are so many answers to your question, Eagle. It wasn't that long ago that Florida was the pill mill capital of the world. Drug dealers would bring bus loads of out of state people to the "pain clinics" that were more numerous in Florida than McDonalds (actual fact). You give them $360 and they would give you 120 oxycontin pills. Each 40mg pill has a street value of approximately $1 per mg. So, doing the math, that would make each prescription worth about $4800. They were making a KILLING and people were dying in the process. To top it off, IT WAS PERFECTLY LEGAL!!!
    Now, as far as illegal drugs are concerned, diamorphine (heroin) is putting many people in morgues. It's rarely pure. People cut it with less-expensive substances to increase profits. Sometimes, people will lace heroin with fentanyl, which is FAR more potent than heroin. If the user is not aware of this, it can quickly lead to an overdose death.
    Gone are the days when people were satisfied with simply smoking a joint.

4. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Physicians who prescribe narcotics have a DEA issued tracking number. Pull mills, as you've indicated, should get on the DEA radar as prescribing patterns would be in excess of the norm in a given area. This is one area where the federal government really needs to put in more resources.

Unfortunately, however, the state and local governments, in their customary pattern of being short sighted and plainly staffed by incompetent juveniles see fit to legalize recreational as well as the completely absurd notion of "medical marijuana". So now in addition to narcotics we have another layer of drug use to deal with in the states.

It would be nice to have some grown ups in charge for a change.

5. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    That is so very true.
    The "legal" drug trade in Florida absolutely flourished under the leaderships of Jeb Bush and Charlie Crist. Rick Scott took office and made closing the pill mills a priority. He took (and still takes) a ton of political heat for doing so. They were cash cows for everyone involved.

6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    ^ that's because he was in the hospital business before politics. Somehow most people who actually had to make their way in the real world are able to bring some semblance of order to things.

7. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    And don't even get me started on needle exchange programs.

8. tda003

tda003 Senior Member

United States
    Georgia
    St. Simons Island
    In the very early 70's, while policing Piedmont Park and "the Strip" (Peachtree street between 5th and 14th Streets, I would pull one to three young "hippies" out of public restrooms each week, dead from an overdose of heroin (about 6% heroin). Mind you, that was just me.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, these kids always thought they'd be the ones who'd be too smart to get hooked. The same thing occurred later with crack (though not as many deaths, merely destroyed lives and a rapid spread of HIV).

And now it's back to heroin. I guess we have to relive history again and again.

9. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    Now, they are wanting to treat heroin addiction with marijuana. That is like treating cancer with syphilis. Near the end of the 19th century, doctors were giving patients morphine as a cure for alcoholism. At the turn of the 20th century, Bayer Corp., best known today for aspirin, rolled out what it marketed as a "safe, non-addictive" alternative to morphine: heroin.

Shampoo, rinse, repeat...

10. eagle2250

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^ "Treat heroin addiction with marijuana(!)?"
    Sounds about as effective as trying to put out a fire with gasoline. :(

On a CBS newscast back a few months ago the reporter was taking a look at the marijuana related increases in the need for emergency medical treatment in the State of Colorado, subsequent to the legalization of marijuana sales and use in that State...up 300+%....and the proponents of such use say it's harmless. Idiots, for sure!

Will we as a society ever learn?

11. tda003

tda003 Senior Member

United States
    Georgia
    St. Simons Island
    Marijuana used to be claimed as a stepping stone to heroin and now it's a cure? If that were true, there would be no heroin addiction. The addicts could all move to Colorado and smoke their way to a cure.

Wow. There's an ad man's dream.

12. Gurdon

Gurdon Moderator

United States
    California
    Forestville
    Abuse of prescription opioids resulted in increased enforcement whited caused prices to rise. The narco-trafficantes have filled the void with cheap heroine. Whatever one's views of the drug problem may be, the demand is there and will be met by big pharma and the officially criminal international drug cartels.

Until we can reduce the demand for drugs we will have problems. I think the situation is more complicated than the comments posted so far suggest.

Contrary to many here I view drug and alcohol addiction as medical problems. As a practical matter the so-called war on drugs has not worked and has damaged our society. As a practical matter, drug programs appear to be better than the criminalization of drugs in reducing the damage.

Regards,
    Gurdon

13. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    Please don't take my comments as being flippant about the situation. The problem is complicated. Unfortunately, that complication is made exponentially worse by profit-motivated drug companies and complicit politicians.

Again, we see eye to eye on this issue. The disease of addiction is real. It manifests itself in many ways, some more legal than others. Programs offer more promise than prison sentences. Also, I think that it is absurd to penalize crack cocaine abusers 10X more harshly than powder cocaine abusers. That is just blatantly wrong.

14. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    "They've seen him out dressed in my clothes, patently unclear if it's New York or New Year".

Drugs are bad, m'kay, so, if you do drugs, you're bad, m'kay, because drugs are bad. they can hurt your body, m'kay, cause drugs are bad, m'kay...

15. eagle2250

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^
    I would certainly hope that the unnecessary loss of 59000 lives to drug overdoses in a years time is not viewed as m'kay! The challenge before us is indeed complicated and an effective solution has been evading us for years. We seem so often so willing to argue incessantly over significantly more contained/smaller losses of life and indeed, even one life lost is a tragedy. I will say again, where is the public outrage insisting that this present issue be more effectively addressed? :icon_scratch:

16. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    The public are, probably, too busy scoring and getting high to be overly concerned. :rolleyes2:

There are innumerable paths to self immolation. How might we address every route?

17. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    [​IMG]

18. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
    My thoughts) I'd much rather ride with someone smoking pot than someone drinking brandy when driving. How many people die every year from drinking alcohol? Alcoholic problems have seriously hurt families, not to mention, far worse the person who is an alcoholic. From doctors to professors to business owners, etc. Some preacher went to AAA meetings to see what it was like and asked many questions over the years. He wrote it in a Christian magazine for preachers. The uncontrollable love of alcohol....

In my early twenties under age didn't matter which they used for entertainment; either way if caught they were in trouble. Turn twenty one and they were legal with alcohol, so many left weed.

Organized crime became huge during probation which has hurt this country enormously. In the sixties and seventies organize crime grew again thanks to marijuana being illegal, which has hurt this country enormously.

Other drugs) There was a time in the sixties when you could go to your doctor to get a prescription for some drugs for recreational use. The rest of the other illegal drugs should be banned and those behind the drug pushers (and some drug pushers) should be hunted down and killed.

And all these dumb young people dumbly thinking tobacco is cool. With all the science out there comomon sense should decide instead of miss placed feelings. I don't want my money paying for their dumb medical problems.

19. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    ^ regarding drunk driving vs. high on pot driving; a flawed argument.

20. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    My brother, David, was killed in a car wreck on Dec. 04, 1997. According to witnesses, he was driving erratically (too slow, then too fast, and drifting in and out of lanes). He eventually cut in front of a truck, flipped several times, and was ejected from the vehicle. Toxicology showed a blood-alcohol reading of 0.00. But he had a very high concentration of THC in his system.