Country
    United States
    State
    MD
    City
    West Friebdship

Default What are moleskins?

What are moleskins? Are they waxed? Can they be waxed? Are they water repellent? Are they warm? Are they usually lined with flannel?

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    Kentucky
    City
    Louisville

Moleskin is a cloth. It's a heavy cotton flannel. Usually made up into odd trousers, which are referred to as "moleskins" for short. I've never seen them waxed; they're no more water repellent than any other cotton trouser; and they are usually quite warm (depending on the weight of the cloth).

Moleskin can also refer to a pad placed in the heel or tongue of a shoe to add friction and cut down on slippage.

Country
    United States
    State
    MD
    City
    West Friebdship

Orgetorix...thanks for the info. I was referring to moleskin trousers in my questions. Thanks much...JWM

Country
    New Zealand
    State
    Hawkes Bay
    City
    Hastings

Moleskins tend to be heavier than other cotton trousers and are usually associated with country wear. As a result they are mainly found in tans, browns and greens, though not exclusively, and are usually cut with a fairly close leg (similar to jeans).

I wear very little else in the way of trousers in the colder months. They are super warm, comfortable and durable.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Palm Desert

Quote Originally Posted by JWM1960 View Post
    What are moleskins? ...
    And always after you post check down at the very bottom of the page for relevant previous topics!
    Andy
    Hidden Content
    Products reviewed may be furnished by their makers, sometimes at no cost to the reviewer, or be purchased by the reviewer. The review is strictly the personal opinion of the reviewer.
    AskAndyAboutClothes strongly encourages all members to enhance our reviews by posting their individual experiences with reviewed products.

Country
    UK
    State
    Hampshire
    City
    Basingstoke

Moleskins are quite thick and lose their colour easily because of this.They get creases that don't really change postion ( from wear in crotch, centre crease, crease from washing in small machine without much movement etc)....the creases stick out and wear off the fabric giving it a faded look.If washed in too small a machine you'll get a marbled looking disaster.
    Thats why they are really casual comfortable-gentle outdoors type ( gardening or pretending to).The fabric is so thick...it will last for years and years .. way longer than jeans and warmer too as they have a lovely short soft nap.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Long Beach

I have for many years assumed that the fabric "moleskin" (not to be confused with the stuff you use for blistered feet) was the same as what we commonly call in the States "chamois cloth" that is used frequently for shirts, as offered by L.L. Bean and similar firms. Am I correct in this assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
    I have for many years assumed that the fabric "moleskin" (not to be confused with the stuff you use for blistered feet) was the same as what we commonly call in the States "chamois cloth" that is used frequently for shirts, as offered by L.L. Bean and similar firms. Am I correct in this assumption?
    I think so..... Although for shirts it would be a significantly lighter weight of cloth. Both moleskin and chamois cloth have a spongy suedy feel not unlike chamois leather. My dad used to polish his Ford Cortina with his. Chamois Leather (pron: 'shammy Leather') that is not his moleskins...
    nicks

Country
    United States
    State
    PA
    City
    PITTSBURGH

Quote Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
    My chamois shirts seem a lot softer and thicker than my moleskin pants.

Moleskin is a heavy cotton cloth. Trousers are usually made from this material for rural pursuits.

It is not normally waxed or otherwise treated although I daresay someone will have tried it..

12. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)

Default Hemingway - Moleskine

This must be different right ? LOL

For two centuries now Moleskine (mol-a-skeen') has been the legendary notebook of artists, writers, intellectuals and travelers. From gifted artists Henri Matisse (1869–1954) and Vincent van Gogh (1853–1890), to poet and leader of the surrealist movement André Breton (1896-1966) to Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961) considered the most influential writer of the last century, to famous travel writer Bruce Chatwin (1940-1989).

I have a pair of Lambournes (commonly seen on STP) that are extremely heavy and full, such that I rarely wear them. I have others that are much lighter and cut like denim.

Default Lambourne and others

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    I have a pair of Lambournes (commonly seen on STP) that are extremely heavy and full, such that I rarely wear them. I have others that are much lighter and cut like denim.
    Which weights do your moleskins have?

Country
    Australia
    State
    New South Wales
    City
    Sydney

RM Williams have a superb moleskin range. The classic bone-coloured moleskin jean cut, and trousers.

I have a navy coloured pair of trousers. They are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_ny View Post

For two centuries now Moleskine (mol-a-skeen') has been the legendary notebook of artists, writers, intellectuals and travelers. From gifted artists Henri Matisse (1869–1954) and Vincent van Gogh (1853–1890), to poet and leader of the surrealist movement André Breton (1896-1966) to Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961) considered the most influential writer of the last century, to famous travel writer Bruce Chatwin (1940-1989).
    Unrelated. Moleskine is a brand of notebooks; moleskin is a cotton fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_ny View Post

Yes, I have a few Moleskine journals I keep for, well, journaling. I love them, the paper, the binding, the way my oens and oencils flow on them. But they're certainly not the pants we speak of.

I have a pair of black moleskin pants and a Hickey sportcoat in choc brown moleskin...love them both!
    You asked for it, you got it...check out my blog.
    Hidden Content

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative"
    -Oscar Wilde

Schott Outerwear
    Hidden Content )

Hidden Content

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Forestville

Default Bookster has Moleskin

Bookster has moleskin pants and corduroy as well. I am exceedingly pleased with my first pair and am ordering more.

Over the years I have had moleskins from other sources. I believe the Booksters to be superior as to quality of cloth and attention to construction. The test pair is standing up well to hard wear and repeated machine washing and drying.

Moreover, Bookster will make pants to your specification, which in my case means I can actually get casual pants that I can wear comfortably.

Check out their web site.

Regards,
    Gurdon

Moleskins trousers have a reputation for being wind repellant

www.filson.com has a variety of weights available in trousers, vests, jackets, and shirts.

They have a tendency to shrink

Country
    Australia
    State
    ACT
    City
    Canberra

Q What are mole skins?

A. Something that keeps you warm in winter while standing on the side line of a Rugby field. As you’re watching your son’s U15 team play as the wind drives in off the snow line and its 10c.

Or try http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...CE7175A558814B

Default Filson offers moleskin pants?

Quote Originally Posted by Ay329 View Post
    Moleskins trousers have a reputation for being wind repellant

www.filson.com has a variety of weights available in trousers, vests, jackets, and shirts.

They have a tendency to shrink

I just looked at the Filson website by means of your Internet address above and found no moleskin pants.

Default RM Williams Moleskin Trousers - Slim Fit, Stretch, High Rise?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthShorer View Post
    RM Williams have a superb moleskin range. The classic bone-coloured moleskin jean cut, and trousers.

I have a navy coloured pair of trousers. They are fantastic.

My colleague wrote RM Williams regarding two aspects of their moleskin trousers for men: 1. stretch moleskin and 2. Slim Fit. RM Williams advertised in their Spring/Summer catalogue stretch moleskin only for women. RM Williams offers no moleskin trousers in Slim Fit.

As reply he just received the most recent catalogue for Autumn/Winter 2009 in which RM Williams now advertises jeans in stretch moleskin for men.

The RM Williams catalogues do not offer information about the various moleskins beyond two weights 11 and 15 ounces, and it appears both the "Luxury Doe Moleskin" and the other moleskins are both manufactured by an unspecified Italian mill.

Moleskin was originally worn by the steel makers in Sheffield, because the tight weave and short nap enabled the molten steel to roll off the fabric, thus avoiding injury. It was usually worn as both a trouser and an apron.

Default Bookster - no stretch moleskin nor stretch corduroy offered

1. Bookster has moleskin pants and corduroy as well. 2. Over the years I have had moleskins from other sources. I believe the Booksters to be superior as to quality of cloth and attention to construction. 3. The test pair is standing up well to hard wear and repeated machine washing and drying. 4. Moreover, Bookster will make pants to your specification, which in my case means I can actually get casual pants that I can wear comfortably.

2. Unfortunately, you do not mention your other sources for moleskin. 3. Do you mean Bookster moleskins do not shrink at all by repeated machine washing and tumbler drying? 4. Bookster presumably can do Slim Fit and High Rise in moleskin trousers, which RM Williams doesn't. 1. But Bookster does not offer stretch moleskin.