Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Country
    United States
    State
    Hawaii
    City
    Honolulu

Default The Latest from WASP 101

I know there's been a thread or two posted about this guy and his blogsite, but I found his most recent column perfectly appalling. Definitely not a gentleman, even if he may think himself a WASP. One would like to hope he made it up.

http://www.wasp101.blogspot.com/

Sunday, July 27, 2008
    Madras Pants And Crazy Stories From My Past

First, I want to thank all the loyal readers that encouraged me to keep the blog, and to officially say I plan to keep going. The week I took off a couple weeks ago was much needed, but life has continued to be stressful with too much going on at work. Anyway, the week I took off gave me a chance to revisit days of fun and games, or also known as days without responsibility. I also took a break from suits and ties, and wore a lot of casual clothing. I thought I would post one of the casual outfits I wore that week, and tell a story from my crazy collegiate past.

It all began my sophomore year of college, and of course there was a lovely girl involved. Julie was my dream at the moment, but one thing stood in my way..........her 22 year old boyfriend. Regardless, being the crafty schemer I was, I decided to pursue her anyway at all cost. I tried flattery, sweet gestures, and numerous other ways to penetrate her heart. She was always half way receptive, but she reminded me that she was taken at the end of the day. Frustrated and impatient, I decided to help things along and it was time for drastic measures. Fortunately, I had befriended several of her sorority sisters, and I would need my closest friend Ivy to help.

As my plan unfolded in my mind, I decided to write a letter to Julie confessing that I had cheated on her with a girl back home in her boyfriend's home county. Oh, I forgot to mention the letter would be written by me, but signed by her boy. I did my homework as well. I found out who he had dated in the past, and I made the girl he cheated with an ex-girlfriend. The letter was typed and sealed in an envelope with a stamp and return address (her boyfriend's). Now, this is the point when Ivy was needed. Ivy would often get Julie's mail for her, and I had Ivy to place the letter in Julie's mail. I hoped that she would not notice that it had not been through the postal service, and she never noticed. Of course, Julie was enraged by the letter, and even though poor boyfriend swore it wasn't true, Julie now had doubt in her mind. One week later, Julie dumped her boy, and I began dating her the next week. Julie was great for a while, but I soon realized she wasn't worth all the trouble and I dumped her. In the end, I realized that I had more in common with Ivy, that little minx.

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    Pennsylvania
    City
    Sunbury

That tale would bring a single, manly tear of admiration to Harry Flashman's eye.
    Kindly,

AQG

"There are some who call me...Tim..." Tim the Enchanter.

Tsk. If it's a true account then the writer is a complete cad. He's also lost his claim to gentlemanly status as one would not publicly brag about such appalling behavior.

Cordially,
    Adrian Quay

"
    When we remember we are all mad,
    the mysteries disappear
    and life stands explained."
    - Mark Twain, Notebook entry, 1898.

Country
    United States
    State
    va
    City
    Saluda

What a jerk. All of it screams for attention. He posted earlier about making a lot of money because of new clients, shameful.

I apologize for my foul language earlier.
    Last edited by Duck; July 28th, 2008 at 11:14.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Oh, gosh! But Richard is very young and still evolving. And sometimes I wonder if he may just be trying to have a bit of fun with everyone.

Added after reflection: Yes, this is pretty bad, if he's not just trying to put everyone on. What I hear in that story is the echo of an ethos that permeates popular culture and is even resident in all too many business school graduates I encounter. I.e., "Others do not matter, and I can do anything to get what I want."

Added after further reflection: The above ethos described is essentially the definition of a sociopath.
    Last edited by Flanderian; July 28th, 2008 at 12:10.

Country
    United States
    State
    Pennsylvania
    City
    Sunbury

Valmont would approve.
    Kindly,

AQG

Country
    United States
    State
    Texas
    City
    Fort Worth

I like some of the pictures he posts. I take his stories with several large grains of salt.

I don't really know about the type of folks most here have met, but this tale is very much in character with the sort of guy who would create a blog labeled WASP 101.

Whether he is real or imagined, it does not matter. The people who follow rules are those wanting to join the club. Once in, they act like heathens and use others who follow rules to fix their mistakes.

Country
    United States
    State
    va
    City
    Saluda

It looks like a RL ad.

Country
    United States
    State
    Pennsylvania
    City
    Sunbury

It's like a scene from Justine.
    Kindly,

AQG

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    It looks like a RL ad.
    While it isn't, that's what he often posts, and what seems to serve as his touchstone. Fifteen years ago, that would have been less of a mistake.

Upon just returning from his blog, I was finally confronted with the obvious: here we all are discussing the blog and author, undoubtedly generating traffic. If you want to sell something in print, the easiest and surest way to do it isn't to say, "Square peg in square hole." It's to publish something akin to an old National Enquirer article, I.e., "Mother gives birth to Martian baby, etc., etc., etc."
    Last edited by Flanderian; July 28th, 2008 at 12:36.

True enough, Flanderian. I read Richard's blog daily, and enjoy his pictures. I read the entry in question and commented on the blog site before it showed up in this forum.

Discussing it here smacks of criticizing someone behind their back.

Country
    United States
    State
    Pennsylvania
    City
    Sunbury

Quote Originally Posted by marmer View Post
    Who's been criticizing?
    Kindly,

AQG

For all we know, it probably IS an RL ad. After all, isn't that RL's plan for the world? WASP 101- coming soon to macy*s.

And yes, it is very appalling. I don't know what this guy is trying to do, but it proves that the internet, while it has given every man, woman (and, possibly, child) their own soapbox, is a haven for those with insecurities about their insecurities (we all have our insecurities). I will heed others' advice that we should take this with a grain of salt. I'm sure it is fulfilling for him to be lambasted, if only for the sake of attention.

As a young person, seeing youth used as an excuse for this man's gaudy display of "elegance, refinement, and control"- the epitome of the Ivy league aesthetic- appalls me.

Country
    United States
    State
    PA
    City
    Phila

^ Hell, I'm impressed anyone made it to the end of his story. I lost interest after the first sentence...

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by marmer View Post
    True enough, Flanderian. I read Richard's blog daily, and enjoy his pictures. I read the entry in question and commented on the blog site before it showed up in this forum.

Oh, I regularly criticize him directly too, if I wish to, or feel it may serve a useful purpose. Since Richard is one of the few bloggers who doesnít screen the remarks that readers post, I assume he wishes to invite negative remarks. I would be very surprised if there wasnít a direct correlation between controversy and traffic.

Okay, I have a stupid question:

What does WASP stand for??!?!

manuduenas

Country
    United States
    State
    va
    City
    Saluda

Quote Originally Posted by manuduenas View Post

manuduenas
    Being from Germany, I understand. White Anglo Saxon Protestant.

Seriously?? There's a common abbreviation for people like that?

That's like the exact opposite of me.... ;-)

Thank you,

manuduenas

Quote Originally Posted by Flanderian View Post
    Oh, I regularly criticize him directly too, if I wish to, or feel it may serve a useful purpose. Since Richard is one of the few bloggers who doesnít screen the remarks that readers post, I assume he wishes to invite negative remarks. I would be very surprised if there wasnít a direct correlation between controversy and traffic.
    Seems like a waste of time. I'm sure he enjoys it.

He sounds like a Tucker Max wannabe.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Country
    United States
    State
    South Carolina
    City
    Columbia

this guy is a phony

If anyone here took that story as the God's Honest Truth then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by manuduenas View Post

manuduenas
    It perhaps should be added that this acronym originated as a pejorative parody. Intended as a joke, like the Preppy Handbook.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post
    Seems like a waste of time. I'm sure he enjoys it.

He sounds like a Tucker Max wannabe.
    Obviously, you are right. Sometimes it just takes me a little longer to catch on.

I check out his blog from time to time; I have to agree with others, here, that this guy is a fake. However, if he's real, my question is who would want to associate with someone of that caliber?

I must now get back to making lots of money....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast