Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    United States
    State
    Massachusetts
    City
    Newton

I can see having two pair of the most generic sort of classic-- a black punch-cap oxford, for example. It's the sort of things you might wear every day for a week, and so should have a second pair to rotate. For performing musicians, perhaps two pair of patent leather oxfords. Assuming you have your perfect size, etc. No sense prolonging your misery with shoes you don't really like.
    "You could have made money picking up roadkill. Now you have this big company where you've got people all over the world picking up roadkill. You've got $70 million in the bank. That doesn't make you knowledgeable about world hunger." -- Ray Allen

I kept a pair of Alden 986 in the closet for ten years. They were still okay, but I kept them in the box with shoe trees. Why did I do that? I like them so much I wanted to be sure I'd always have a pair. Maybe Alden will not be around anymore? Maybe the model will be discontinued? (not likely, but you never know) Maybe I won't be able to afford them in the future?

One reason for multiples is hedge against inflation - some of the classic models such as the PTB or chukkas have gone up in price significantly, esp. the shell cordovans. Another is quality (which may be due in part to the availability of qualified hides) may have also changed, whether in perception or reality.

Quote Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
    If it were some special run that'll never come around again, I'd think about it. But Alden 405's? If and when you ever really wear these out, you'll be able to buy a new pair (If I know Alden, they'll still be making them)

Country
    United States
    State
    Connecticut
    City
    Stamford

Default Thinking I messed up...

I have duplicates of a couple styles of AE and am thinking it may have been a mistake only because quality shoes do last a long time if cared for. I have a 12 year old pair of Church's which are finally getting ready for retirement, as the creased uppers on one shoe are starting to crack.

My question to you guys is if you wore a pair of Aldens, AE, C&J or similar quality shoes every other day, used shoe trees and avoided bad weather as much as possible, how many years could you get out of them before they start to look like they should be replaced?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12