Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Country
    England
    State
    Essex
    City
    Witham

Default Great thread, Doc!

I love 'em. I currently have two pairs. Tricker's Fleur-de-lys in black velvet with creamy leather lining and Church's stags head Sovereign in wine velvet with black quilted lining. The Church's are my favourite but are not as wearable I feel.

Do Church's still make this particular design?

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by Brideshead View Post
    I love 'em. I currently have two pairs. Tricker's Fleur-de-lys in black velvet with creamy leather lining and Church's stags head Sovereign in wine velvet with black quilted lining. The Church's are my favourite but are not as wearable I feel.

Do Church's still make this particular design?
    I need those in Green

Country
    England
    State
    Essex
    City
    Witham

Default How to wear them

Gentlemen - please set aside your concerns. I dipped my toes into the water back in 1989 when I bought my first plain black velvet Albert Slippers from Tricker's. I recall that they were about £30 back then.

I wore them for the first time that New Year's Eve at home entertaining friends with plain black trousers and a shirt. No comment received or even a glance at my feet. Bit disappointing really!

I progressed to Tricker's Prince of Wales design on black velvet a year or two later.

Both the above were worn extensively at home and have now both been replaced - as above. The more you wear them the more confident you become. I wear mine with pyjamas and gown, with jeans when working at home, with dress trousers if we have people to dinner and so on. I have yet to wear mine with a dinner jacket, but encouraged by all the above, it won't be long...

Wives get used to them (and it really doesn't matter if they don't) and mine actually bought me the stags head Church's for Christmas! As you can see from the above, the Russian cat is still unsure.......

Please do give them a try and they will soon become an indispensible part of your wardrobe.

Country
    England
    State
    Essex
    City
    Witham

Default JL Bespoke - anyone?

Country
    England
    State
    Essex
    City
    Witham

Default More Lobb nice bits....

Very sharp, Brideshead. They show up a little more red on my monitor, but it's probably just the flash. I do like that design quite a bit.
    "Nationalistic pride prevents me from whooping it up over basketball jerseys." --Patrick 06790

Country
    United States
    State
    Delaware
    City
    newark

Damn, great pics. I feel like a moron posting my itty - bitty, out of focus snaps. Anyway, the Lobbs are brilliant. But they are dear. Last time in London I was slobbering over Cleverleys. Those are a bit dear as well as are E Greens. So far, the EGs rate the best in my opinion on price and quality.

Curious, Brideshead. What kinda wear did you get out of your original two pr? My sense is that it might make sense to go with Del Toro if the construction is fairly similar.

I will also remind those interested in havijng S&H do your monogram...they are not cheap and the quality of the monogram is pretty bad with cracking and breaking of the silver thread after only a couple of wearings.

If del Toro will do a custom mono from $170 to $225 or so... that's a bargain. S&H did offer a money back guarantee if I was unhappy with the 2nd pr after I returned the 1st. del Toro would be a no-brainer if they offered the same. And maybe a bottle of Priorat as an incentive.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by tintin
    I will also remind those interested in havijng S&H do your monogram...they are not cheap and the quality of the monogram is pretty bad with cracking and breaking of the silver thread after only a couple of wearings.
    That's not good.

DocD

Country
    England
    State
    Essex
    City
    Witham

Smile Thanks for the kind words, chaps

I didn't think the pic of my slippers was all that good - taken with a single use camera last Christmas. They are actually a rather bright wine colour but not quite as red as in the pic. Certainly a lot redder than the JL ones above.

My first Tricker's lasted from 1989 to 1996 by which time the quilted lining was a bit shabby and the trimming around the heel a bit sad. The PoW pair didn't last as long as the heel on one shoe started to come away from the upper and, despite a local repair they came apart again. So about 5 years for the second pair.

My two current pairs date from 2002 (Church's) and 2004/5 (Tricker's). Both are still almost new in appearance, perhaps because I also have three other pairs of slippers in rotation now!

Country
    England
    State
    Essex
    City
    Witham

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Damn, great pics. I feel like a moron posting my itty - bitty, out of focus snaps. Anyway, the Lobbs are brilliant. But they are dear. Last time in London I was slobbering over Cleverleys. Those are a bit dear as well as are E Greens. So far, the EGs rate the best in my opinion on price and quality.

Curious, Brideshead. What kinda wear did you get out of your original two pr? My sense is that it might make sense to go with Del Toro if the construction is fairly similar.

If del Toro will do a custom mono from $170 to $225 or so... that's a bargain. S&H did offer a money back guarantee if I was unhappy with the 2nd pr after I returned the 1st. del Toro would be a no-brainer if they offered the same. And maybe a bottle of Priorat as an incentive.
    Yeah the Lobbs are about £1800 plus trees!

Thanks for the warning about S&H. One thing about the Tricker's that does last well is the gold wire - no problems to report there. The old quilted linings on Tricker's was their Achilles' heel! The current leather linings are very robust.

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Someone on the main forum posted a link to someone's photo collection. Anyway, I saw this one which are allegedly Stubbs & Wootton. This is the summer way to wear these things: with chinos and no socks.

DocD

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Now for some slippers that the rest of us should probably avoid wearing.

This pair of Church's slippers should be left to Prince Charles:

Unless you're a Shriner, avoid these:

DocD

Country
    United States
    State
    Delaware
    City
    newark

Default S. McQueen's Monogramed Slippers

Just so you know we're all in good company...

Last edited by tintin; March 3rd, 2008 at 18:22.

Country
    England
    State
    Essex
    City
    Witham

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Damage View Post
    Now for some slippers that the rest of us should probably avoid wearing.

This pair of Church's slippers should be left to Prince Charles:

DocD
    I like these. The colour is very much like the pair I have.

Tricker's do a similar design (pictured above in black) but without the 'ICH DIEN' device.

Country
    England
    State
    Essex
    City
    Witham

Default What about the Grecian slipper?

Doctor, does this fairly close relation, do you think, warrant another 'Ode to' Thread or could it be included here?

Lobb example.

AlanC is offline Sartorial Sultan
    Moderator, Trad Forum
    Country
    United States
    State
    Heart of the Bluegrass
    City
    Lexington

^Now I love shoe trees for a Grecian slipper! :biggrin2:

Country
    England
    State
    Essex
    City
    Witham

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    ^Now I love shoe trees for a Grecian slipper! :biggrin2:
    Yes, you would need to really love them at this price

http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/main/pricelist.htm

Hi gents,
    Great thread. These posts and pics are making my feet ache with anticipation of slipping into a Stubbs or Del Toro.
    The following web site offers several velvet slipper designs by S&W ($119) and G.J. Cleverley ($139):

http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/

Best,
    Alex.
    Last edited by A. Clay-More; March 4th, 2008 at 15:03.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Eagle has provided his review of the Del Toro slippers over on the main forum here.

DocD

Country
    England
    State
    Essex
    City
    Witham

Default One of my favourite pics....

...from Lobb's B&W catalogue

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Just a note: the Del Toro guys have updated their site with prices and a few pics of the monogrammed shoes, etc.

DD
    "What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    BROOKLYN

Grapevinehill currently, and often, has RLPL Alberts available for about $400 (they say they're list $900!) They have a few different designs, but here's the real question--what is the appeal to having Ralph's monogram on there, rather than your own? I suppose if your initials are also RL, then it's a different story. I think I saw one other type of slipper in this post that has a non-custom monogram. Can someone a little tradder than me please explain this? Thanks.
    Think Yiddish
    Dress British

Country
    United States
    State
    DC
    City
    Washington

Quote Originally Posted by dandypauper View Post
    here's the real question--what is the appeal to having Ralph's monogram on there, rather than your own?
    I've wondered about this as well. My best guess is that Ralph's monogram reassures the insecure that their velvet slippers are acceptable, in that it brands them as Ralph Lauren-approved. Also, it might convey that they were expensive.

Country
    United States
    State
    Delaware
    City
    newark

My two cents:

1. They're Lazy.
    2. They have too much money.

Real Trads can't claim either.

www.thetrad.blogspot.com

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

I agree that wearing a pair of PRL slippers with a logo is stupid. They are, however, made by EG so that may be a selling feature to some. But for less than $200 one can get a pair from Del Toro with your own initials, which has to be best of all for the ego, right?

Just remember, the initial for your last name goes in the middle...

DD
    "What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."