Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Palm Desert

deltoroshoes

deltoroshoes:

What a great offer and your shoes are beautiful. Since I've devoted my full time to this website (plus golf, shopping, travel, theatre, movies, fine dining and heavy drinking ) I mostly wear house shoes!! :icon_smile_big:

These would certainly upgrade my look! I do still have to impress the UPS guy!
    Andy
    Hidden Content
    Products reviewed may be furnished by their makers, sometimes at no cost to the reviewer, or be purchased by the reviewer. The review is strictly the personal opinion of the reviewer.
    AskAndyAboutClothes strongly encourages all members to enhance our reviews by posting their individual experiences with reviewed products.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Curse this demonic AAAC website! I have never in my life lusted for a pair of velvet Albert slippers...before now(?)!!! H*ll, I'm almost a redneck...how would I explain a pair of velvet house shoes to "The wife!":icon_smile_wink:

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    What a great offer and your shoes are beautiful.
    I agree with Andy and those who are interested should jump on this offer. You will not find a more affordable pair of quality Albert slippers at that price.

Here's a pair of BB/Peal slippers, from an unknown date.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

BB/Peal slippers. These had to have been made by Church's, unlike the ones I posted above, due to the unmistakable shape. These also illustrate how refined a small motif looks, unlike the oversized bling used on Stubbs & Wootton shoes.

Country
    United States
    State
    Delaware
    City
    newark

Eagle2250,
    I have a nice picture in my mind of a Bubba getting out of a pick up wearing velvet sippers. Thanks. Someone's gonna make a great ad outta that.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Eagle2250,
    I have a nice picture in my mind of a Bubba getting out of a pick up wearing velvet sippers. Thanks. Someone's gonna make a great ad outta that.
    LOL...and I fear that "Bubba" could be me and the pick-up is a dark green Ford! :icon_smile:

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2250 View Post
    LOL...and I fear that "Bubba" could be me and the pick-up is a dark green Ford! :icon_smile:
    Or me. I, too, drive a dark green Ford PU (Ranger, 4WD). I'm going an event Saturday night wearing my opera pumps, but we'll probably be driving Naval Wife's Rover.

Scott

Default My pair of Alberts

Ebay acquisition. Private labeled by Bullock & Jones, San Francisco. Made in England. I'm guessing Stubbs.

Quilted in red on the inside.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
    Ebay acquisition. Private labeled by Bullock & Jones, San Francisco. Made in England. I'm guessing Stubbs.
    More likely Bowhill & Elliot, judging by the shape.
    But they're beautiful slippers, friend.

DocD

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Damage View Post
    More likely Bowhill & Elliot, judging by the shape.
    But they're beautiful slippers, friend.

DocD
    Good call. From the B&E website:

http://www.bowhillandelliott.co.uk/A...p?ProductId=92

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Newport News

Default This just in...

Uh-oh. My wife says these things look "gay." So, apparently, does Carson Kressley: http://www.enotalone.com/article/5046.html

I'm starting to have doubts...about the shoes, not anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by KentW View Post
    Uh-oh. My wife says these things look "gay." So, apparently, does Carson Kressley: http://www.enotalone.com/article/5046.html

Tell your wife that they are only gay if worn while having sex with men. Carson is probably confused because he's worn them for that purpose. That said, mine don't see the light of day. House wear only.

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    New York

Carson and your wife are out to lunch on this one. Carson is correct however, that the velvet slipper worn with evening wear is not for beginners, but wrong that is is a gay thing. As someone else pointed out, he may have utilized them in the procurement and execution of gay sex acts, but thats just him. To him they are fashion.

The velvet slipper worn casually or formally, is a sign of a well bred and/or highly evolved well dressed gentleman. Part of a style, rather than passing fashion as in the gay community. Implicit in that is monogamous heterosexuality of a well to do family man.

That twit is also way off on the origins of the naming of Chelsea boots. More revisionist history from the gay community who have tried to claim historical figures as their own on real thin evidence.

All that said, velvet slipper probably arent all that accepted in too many social circles, even in main stream/hetero world. Too British, too WASPy, too effete, or just plain not known or understood.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Quote Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
    Tell your wife that they are only gay if worn while having sex with men. Carson is probably confused because he's worn them for that purpose. That said, mine don't see the light of day. House wear only.
    ...Hold the phones, stop the presses!! To my utter suprise and complete amazement, "the wife" is not only accepting of the idea of me in Albert slippers, she is (dare I say) enthusiastic. Her words were, and I quote(!), "they would really look great and would accentuate the distinguished look of your silver hair and those piercing eyes. I'll even buy them for you, if you will get them with monograms!" Being ever the cynic, is "the wife" playing with my mind on this?

PS:...and KentW's wife and Carson Kresseley are just wrong; there is nothing gay about velvet slippers. Ooooh Andy, when we meet, I'm going to have to give you a great big hug for making this happen!

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Newport News

KentW's wife and Carson Kresseley are just wrong
    Well, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Carson Kressley is wrong more than he is right, IMO. At least, from the standpoint of the traditional dresser. If you're a fashionista, his advice is probably as valid as anyone's.

Furthermore, I never implicitly trust the opinion of any woman where mens' attire is concerned, even my lovely wife. I have a few items that still get the ol' rolling eyes whenever I wear them (my shotshell belt, for example, which I'm wearing as a write this). "But, you don't even own a gun!" :rolleyes:

Her feelings on the Albert slippers are actually lukewarm. Initially, she liked the plain ones, and actually suggested I order a pair to wear with my tux. I think the more ornate versions are the ones she finds questionable.

I'm still considering ordering a pair from Del Toro. It's hard to resist the discount.

Country
    United States
    State
    Alabama
    City
    Birmingham

I was just going through some older images on The Sartorialist and came across this one from Dec. '06.

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...656/Orgjkt.jpg
    Last edited by tripreed; February 23rd, 2008 at 18:37.
    Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Literide View Post
    Carson and your wife are out to lunch on this one. Carson is correct however, that the velvet slipper worn with evening wear is not for beginners, but wrong that is is a gay thing. As someone else pointed out, he may have utilized them in the procurement and execution of gay sex acts, but thats just him. To him they are fashion.

The velvet slipper worn casually or formally, is a sign of a well bred and/or highly evolved well dressed gentleman. Part of a style, rather than passing fashion as in the gay community. Implicit in that is monogamous heterosexuality of a well to do family man.

That twit is also way off on the origins of the naming of Chelsea boots. More revisionist history from the gay community who have tried to claim historical figures as their own on real thin evidence.

All that said, velvet slipper probably arent all that accepted in too many social circles, even in main stream/hetero world. Too British, too WASPy, too effete, or just plain not known or understood.
    I think that part was just a joke.

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by tripreed View Post
    I was just going through some older images on The Sartorialist and came across this one from Dec. '06.

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...656/Orgjkt.jpg
    Little too much going on there. That rig calls for a nice pair of brown country brogues, not velvet slippers, even, or epecially, when walking around the city.

Back at the house (or apt) he could kick off the brogues and put on the slippers when down to the sweater.

Cheers

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

...Furthermore, I never implicitly trust the opinion of any woman where mens' attire is concerned, even my lovely wife. I have a few items that still get the ol' rolling eyes whenever I wear them (my shotshell belt, for example, which I'm wearing as a write this). "But, you don't even own a gun!" :rolleyes:

Her feelings on the Albert slippers are actually lukewarm. Initially, she liked the plain ones, and actually suggested I order a pair to wear with my tux. I think the more ornate versions are the ones she finds questionable.

I'm still considering ordering a pair from Del Toro. It's hard to resist the discount.
    Boy can I identify with being the recipient of the "ol'rolling eyes"! Do you get much wear out of your Orvis shooting coat, these days and if the shotshell belt brings on "the look," the shooting coat has got to be a bell ringer...I know mine ( all three, can you belive anyone would be dumb enough to do three of those coats?) are! But in all honesty, the ladies do frequently keep us from making a "total a**" of ourselves (at least in my case!).

Regarding the Albert slippers, I am intrigued by the possibility of wearing a pair with a Tux. In the past, I've resisted getting a pair of patent shoes for wear with my Rig and have instead worn a pair of spit-shined black AE Park Aves. I am going to pick up a pair for such use and if I feel too self conscious wearing them out, I'll still have a "sophisticated" pair of slippers, for wear in the privacy of my "locked and darkened" home! :icon_smile:
    Last edited by eagle2250; February 24th, 2008 at 08:12.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Back to planet Earth...

Here's a nice photo of some Shipton & Heneage plain slippers, in various colours.

Here's some slippers from Trickers, with evening pumps and oxfords. I'm not a fan of large motifs, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Regarding the Albert slippers, I am intrigued by the possibility of wearing a pair with a Tux. In the past, I've resisted getting a pair of patent shoes for wear with my Rig and have instead worn a pair of spit-shined black AE Park Aves. I am going to pick up a pair for such use and if I feel too self conscious wearing them out, I'll still have a "sophisticated" pair of slippers, for wear in the privacy of my "locked and darkened" home! :icon_smile:
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I wouldn't wear the pair in the picture above with a dinner jacket because...well because I just wouldn't. Too flashy (and this from a guy who wears opera pumps). However, a plain pair...it's a thought.

I'm conflicted though. Do I want a plain pair that has a chance of seeing the light of day, or do I want a monogrammed pair...

Country
    United States
    State
    Delaware
    City
    newark

I have worn my monogramed slippers w/ a DJ. No one mentioned them and I was the only one I saw wearing them. Lincoln park zoo ball in Chicago. Lots of people and at the zoo so maybe the setting was a little informal. Most important, I'm glad I did it.

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Newport News

Do you get much wear out of your Orvis shooting coat, these days and if the shotshell belt brings on "the look," the shooting coat has got to be a bell ringer
    Yeah, that definitely got "the look." Unfortunately, I found a giant moth hole in the back that I'd somehow missed when I bought it. Off it went, back to the thrift store. *Sigh.*

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Newport News

Quote Originally Posted by tripreed View Post
    Embroidered Alberts with a red quilted Barbour? Now, that takes some cojones!

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
    I'm conflicted though. Do I want a plain pair that has a chance of seeing the light of day, or do I want a monogrammed pair...
    Oh for goodness sake: just buy the plain ones from Del Toro. The price is right, quality is good, and you won't be disappointed. Later, when you're good and comfortable with the style, then you can get custom monogrammed ones with your family's crest...

DocD