Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Newport News

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick06790 View Post
    Came across these on eBay. What are they, and where does something like this fit in the slipper scheme of things?

Trad. Very.

Country
    United States
    State
    Connecticut
    City
    Lakeville

^ On the strength of the sainted Norman's image I threw in a bid. What the h-e-double hockey sticks.

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Newport News

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick06790 View Post
    ^ On the strength of the sainted Norman's image I threw in a bid. What the h-e-double hockey sticks.
    If the eBay thing doesn't work out, you can get the Brooks Brothers version for $128, or the classic L.B. Evans "Radio Tyme" for only $49: http://www.shoebuy.com/lb-evans-radio-tyme/6673

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

JML: I totally forgot about those photos of Dennis Farina. Thanks for posting them!

Tintin: Looking forward to more.

Patrick: Those are called "grecian slippers", at least according to Bowhill & Elliot. They usually come in both hard leather soles and a soft padded leather sole. If you can't get a new pair on eBay (and I'm not sure used slippers are a good idea), then do like KentW says, although keep in mind that the BB version is a soft sole while the L B Evans version has a hard (synthetic leather) sole. Considering that you wear your shoes inside, I recommend getting the hard leather sole in the L B Evans first, then if you like them advance to one of the better British versions.

- - - - -

But this thread is about Albert slippers, so more photos!

The most typical use for these things is in-and-about the house. In order, Desmond Brayley, Peter Lawford, Charles Webb, and the Baron Von Pantz (no joke!).

...and here's the Del Toro guys lounging around.

Last edited by Doctor Damage; February 13th, 2008 at 06:00.

Country
    United States
    State
    Massachusetts
    City
    Beverly

Quote Originally Posted by KentW View Post
    A version from Ralph Lauren, found on eBay:

Those shoes are man traps!

paper clip

Country
    United States
    State
    va
    City
    Saluda

I am getting a pair. I complained about them in the previous post, but these baby's will be mine by March.

I'm having trouble with the card reader for my digital camera. I'm trying to post pics of mine that I took this week. Maybe this weekend.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Duck
    I am getting a pair. I complained about them in the previous post, but these baby's will be mine by March.
    Getting what? Did I miss something you posted?

DocD

Country
    United States
    State
    va
    City
    Saluda

I have decided to get a pair of the Churchs Albert Slippers. In your previous post I commented that I thought they were overpriced. I was looking at all of the pictures and it hit me like a ton of bricks, "These are good looking". I want them.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Duck
    I have decided to get a pair of the Churchs Albert Slippers. In your previous post I commented that I thought they were overpriced. I was looking at all of the pictures and it hit me like a ton of bricks, "These are good looking". I want them.
    The Church's have the best shape, but -- and it's a big but -- they are no longer lined with that amazing quilted lining (the photos I posted show an obsolete model). If you are actually going to wear them as slippers, keep in mind the non-quilted lining is only comfortable with socks; if you prefer slippers without socks then go with a quilted lining, which by the way feels like a dozen 19-year-old Thai masseuses massaging your feet continuously.

So I would actually recommend against the Church's.

You might be better to go through Shipton & Heneage.

Personally, all things considered, particularly given the current unfavourable US/UK exchange rate, in my view the Del Toro slippers are currently best choice for Americans. They don't have an embroidered design, which is the only negative (or maybe positive), but they are a solid shoe and nearly as good as the British models. If you think of the British models as the C&J of slippers, then the Del Toro's are the AE of slippers. Not the best, but probably the best value.

And before someone wonders, I do not get a discount at Del Toro, although they did originally suggest to me perhaps offering an AAAC rate but I did not pursue it. Andy?

DocD

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Damage View Post

And before someone wonders, I do not get a discount at Del Toro, although they did originally suggest to me perhaps offering an AAAC rate but I did not pursue it. Andy?

DocD
    I would be very interested in something like that...

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Some rough costing to think about:

Church's (crown, from Herring shoes) = $187 + duty
    Shipton (plain) = $185 + shipping + duty
    Shipton (crown) = $245 + shipping + duty
    Del Toro = $198 + ~$15 shipping (USPS) + tax

Obviously the Shipton & Heneage slippers with embroidered design is out of the question, although the plain ones are affordable but duty is a question mark. The Church's with crown from Herring Shoes are priced well but unlined and again the duty might be a problem. The Del Toro price is depending on state sales taxes, and shipping I put as a shoebox from Florida to NYC.

Cheapest of all would be to get a pair of Polo overstock on eBay, but that's hit or miss.

DocD

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
    I would be very interested in something like that...
    As would I.

Default Del Toro embroidery / custom design

Personally, all things considered, particularly given the current unfavourable US/UK exchange rate, in my view the Del Toro slippers are currently best choice for Americans. They don't have an embroidered design, which is the only negative (or maybe positive), but they are a solid shoe and nearly as good as the British models.
    Doc,

First, I wanted to say thanks for this thread. My best friend has a fabulous pair monogrammed green velvet C&Js that he purchased through the Turnbull & Asser store in NYC that I have always loved. (He pairs them with a bottle green shawl lapel DJ, and when feeling especially rakish, he's been known to wear them sockless. While it may not be everyone's cup 'o tea, the fairer sex certainly seems to dig it.) I wish he'd let me post some pics of his here; regardless, I've enjoyed seeing the pics you've posted.

Also, thanks for the heads up re: Del Toro. My next black tie opportunity is coming up in May, and I've wanted a pair of monogrammed Prince Albert's but was too cheap to drop the coin on C&Js or some of the others. After speaking with Del Toro Customer Service (see below), it looks like they're going to turn out to be the perfect option.

In case anyone is interested in a pair of Del Toro's but wanted a monogram or custom design on the toe box, the message below is what I received the message below from Del Toro Customer Service last week:

We will have both monograms and custom embroidery as well as a few stock designs. They will be ready in mid April. You can place an order with us now or place it around March. Thank you for your interest in Del Toro Shoes.
    Have a nice day.
    --

I plan on ordering a pair of monogrammed black slippers (to wear with black tie primarily, but I'm sure they'll see some use around the house, too) and will try to post a picture when I receive them. Thanks again, Doctor Damage!

Best,
    Sack
    Last edited by Sack Lodge; February 14th, 2008 at 16:14.

Sack,

What was the upcharge for the monograms, did they say?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
    Sack,

I haven't heard back with the pricing yet. As soon as I do, I'll post it here.

Best,
    Sack

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Sack Lodge
    We will have both monograms and custom embroidery as well as a few stock designs. They will be ready in mid April. You can place an order with us now or place it around March. Thank you for your interest in Del Toro Shoes.

Have a nice day.
    That's good news, since the last time I spoke to those guys (August?) they were looking into monograms/motifs but nothing was concrete at the time. I imagine there will definitely be a premium charged for monograms/motifs, since S&H does, and costs rise considerably, especially with a custom monogram. Hopefully they will have a middle price for slippers with a stock motif.

Perhaps Andy can arrange a slight discount for AAAC members, at least on the plain slippers (which I suspect would be most popular here).

Anyway, I'm glad to learn they're expanding their range since presumably it means they are doing okay on sales.

DocD

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Newport News

Cheapest of all would be to get a pair of Polo overstock on eBay, but that's hit or miss.
    Currently on eBay:

Peal & Co.
    , size 9

Stubbs & Wootton, size 9.5M

Country
    United States
    State
    Delaware
    City
    newark

Here are the Grensons I picked up at Paul Stuart. A beautiful last and to my eye much better than my S&H monogramed slippers I posted earlier. They were on sale for $100 as well.

I know some of you are good at ID'ing by the heel nails...

Horrible pics. I'll try tonight with the D70. I must be going blind or I have the shakes. Maybe both.
    Last edited by tintin; February 15th, 2008 at 11:46.

Country
    United States
    State
    va
    City
    Saluda

How should I search on Ebay for the slippers?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    How should I search on Ebay for the slippers?
    I found mine by searching "velvet slippers" in the Men's Shoes section.

Default Monogram and embroidery pricing info from Del Toro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
    Sack,

I received a response from Del Toro regarding the pricing for monogram and custom embroidered slippers. I also asked them if they would have other colors besides black available in the future.

Below is their reply:

The Menís shoes with monograms cost $175 not including shipping.

Custom embroidered shoes (shoes and embroidery) start at $175 and do not exceed $250 depending on the design. Not including shipping.

There will also be a variety of colors available by this summer. We will keep you posted when colors become available.

Thanks,
    Del Toro Shoes

--

The pricing sounds very reasonable and it's good to hear that they will be offering additional colors for those that they may want them.

Best,
    Sack

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Sack Lodge
    Below is their reply:

The Menís shoes with monograms cost $175 not including shipping.

Custom embroidered shoes (shoes and embroidery) start at $175 and do not exceed $250 depending on the design. Not including shipping.
    Those are extremely reasonable prices. But does the $175 quote mean they are lowering the price of their regular plain model? I can't imagine it would be priced more than ones with a motif or monogram.

DocD

Those are extremely reasonable prices. But does the $175 quote mean they are lowering the price of their regular plain model? I can't imagine it would be priced more than ones with a motif or monogram.

DocD
    I'm editing my post because the response below from deltoroshoes provides the answer.

Best,
    Sack
    Last edited by Sack Lodge; February 16th, 2008 at 11:26.

Smile Del Toro Shoes

Dear Ask Andy Members
    We are very pleased to read all the positive feedback regarding our shoes. Our main goal has always been to produce an affordable custom embroidered shoe. We are currently working on our embroidery production and should be ready to receive order in March for delivery by mid April. Monograms will retail for $175.00 plus shipping. Custom embroidery will start at $170.00 and increase depending on the design but will not exceed $225.00. Because of the continuing support Ask Andy Members have given us we would like to offer the ďClassicĒ Del Toro for $158.00 plus shipping to all members.
    If you are interested in ordering a pair at the discounted price please e-mail info@buydeltoro.com with your credit card information as well as your size and billing/shipping address.
    Our sizes are:
    M: 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5,12
    W: 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10
    We will post again letting members know we are ready to receive embroidery orders.
    All the best,
    Del Toro Shoes
    James and Nathanial

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast