Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Default Ode to the Albert Slipper (photos & links)...

I've been threatening to do this thread to some of you for a while now, and here we go...

As usual, please give me the first 3 or 4 posts so I can lay down some basic info and links to current manufacturers, and then post away!

DocD

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Default Manufacturers and retailers.

What is the Albert Slipper? The Albert slipper is a house shoe with hard leather sole & heel, usually velvet uppers with quilted synthetic lining, and often an embroidered design on the vamp. Variations included normal leather or cloth lining (not quilted), rubber heel, or a plain vamp with no embroidered decoration. Ostensibly house slippers, Albert slippers have often been used outside the home with tuxedos and formal dress for a bit of flash.

- - - - -

Current manufacturers include:

Church's - Church's makes their own slippers as in stock items, with or without an embroidered crown, in black, dark blue, or burgundy velvet. These slippers have the highest vamp of any currently available, stretching high on the foot, and have a slight chisel toe shape. These slippers no longer have the quilted lining.

Bowhill & Elliot - Makes their own slippers by hand and I suspect provides slippers to most other retailers including Shipton & Heneage. These slippers are fairly low vamp and have a rounded toe shape.

Shipton & Heneage - Shipton likely sells slippers made for them by Bowhill & Elliot but offers them in a dizzying variety of sizes, colours, and materials (including leather uppers and tartans). Custom embroidered designs are possible as are slippers made from customer supplied cloths.

Stubbs & Wootton - Despite the posh name, Stubbs is a fairly recent fashion shoe sold in the United States (but made in Spain). They are apparently narrow and certainly overpriced.

Del Toro Shoes - Del Toro is the newest entrant to this market and offers a basic black velvet slipper with quilted lining, rubber heel, and rounded toe. The shoes are sold in the United States and made in Spain. These are probably the least fancy but most robust for use outside the home.

- - - - -

Other retailers include Crockett & Jones (probably selling rebadged Bowhill & Elliot slippers), Edward Green (which supplier some slippers to Ralph Lauren), and Trickers. None of these brands are cheap, although the last two offer bespoke.

From time to time retailers like Brooks Brothers offer Albert slippers.

- - - - -

Time for some photos!

DocD

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

This is the classic Church's model of Albert slipper. Note the characteristic (and unique) shape of the Church's slipper, the quilted lining (incredibly comfy when worn without socks), and the leather heel without nails or slugs (to avoid marking wooden floors).

DocD

Country
    Uganda
    State
    west
    City
    Kampala

heh

A few weeks ago I was going to start a thread asking what the proper name for those is.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

This is a pair of Bowhill & Elliot slippers, made for Harrod's.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Shipton & Heneage slippers (these pairs are without embroidered designs).

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Damage View Post
    What is the Albert Slipper? The Albert slipper is a house shoe with hard leather sole & heel, usually velvet uppers with quilted synthetic lining, and often an embroidered design on the vamp. Variations included normal leather or cloth lining (not quilted), rubber heel, or a plain vamp with no embroidered decoration. Ostensibly house slippers, Albert slippers have often been used outside the home with tuxedos and formal dress for a bit of flash.

- - - - -

Current manufacturers include:

Church's - Church's makes their own slippers as in stock items, with or without an embroidered crown, in black, dark blue, or burgundy velvet. These slippers have the highest vamp of any currently available, stretching high on the foot, and have a slight chisel toe shape. These slippers no longer have the quilted lining.

Bowhill & Elliot - Makes their own slippers by hand and I suspect provides slippers to most other retailers including Shipton & Heneage. These slippers are fairly low vamp and have a rounded toe shape.

Shipton & Heneage - Shipton likely sells slippers made for them by Bowhill & Elliot but offers them in a dizzying variety of sizes, colours, and materials (including leather uppers and tartans). Custom embroidered designs are possible as are slippers made from customer supplied cloths.

Stubbs & Wootton - Despite the posh name, Stubbs is a fairly recent fashion shoe sold in the United States (but made in Spain). They are apparently narrow and certainly overpriced.

Del Toro Shoes - Del Toro is the newest entrant to this market and offers a basic black velvet slipper with quilted lining, rubber heel, and rounded toe. The shoes are sold in the United States and made in Spain. These are probably the least fancy but most robust for use outside the home.

- - - - -

Other retailers include Crockett & Jones (probably selling rebadged Bowhill & Elliot slippers), Edward Green (which supplier some slippers to Ralph Lauren), and Trickers. None of these brands are cheap, although the last two offer bespoke.

From time to time retailers like Brooks Brothers offer Albert slippers.

- - - - -

Time for some photos!

DocD
    I've owned Stubbs, Church's [Brooks], and Shiption
    Stubbs fine for what they are but gotten too pricey
    Shipton, awkward fit, either loose in heel or tight in toe. Had to go loose in heel and use inserts.
    Church's, best looking and fitting, but limited variety, at least via Brooks, Church's NY store and US web site. Anybody know if in the UK they offer more variety in color or motif, and if they do custom?

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Literide View Post
    I've owned Stubbs, Church's [Brooks], and Shiption
    Stubbs fine for what they are but gotten too pricey
    Shipton, awkward fit, either loose in heel or tight in toe. Had to go loose in heel and use inserts.
    Church's, best looking and fitting, but limited variety, at least via Brooks, Church's NY store and US web site. Anybody know if in the UK they offer more variety in color or motif, and if they do custom?
    I don't 'track' this stuff anymore but the last time I looked at the Church's website they only had two versions: plain black and plain black + crown. I suspect BB has the biggest range of styles. I agree with you that they have the better fit, although I find even their heels are still too wide.
    "What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Newport News

A version from Ralph Lauren, found on eBay:

Country
    United States
    State
    Connecticut
    City
    Lakeville

Just an aside, but what's with the dancing devils and grinning skulls? Are these emblems supposed to make the slipper wearer seem raffish?

11. AskAndy Encyclopedia 2  (Desktop - Inline 2)
    Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Newport News

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick06790 View Post
    Just an aside, but what's with the dancing devils and grinning skulls? Are these emblems supposed to make the slipper wearer seem raffish?
    Probably. Stubbs & Wootton seem particularly smitten with the skull motif.

I'm actually thinking about ordering a pair of the plain ones from Del Toro. They look more comfortable than the patent oxfords I've been wearing with my tux, and for some reason are more appealing than a pair of patent leather pumps with silk bows.

Mine.

Brooks Bros.

Probably made by Church's.

---------------------
    Hidden Content

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by crazyquik
    Mine.

Brooks Bros.

Probably made by Church's.
    Definitely made by Church's. No other brand has that unique shape. These are an 8.5 so they look kind of stumpy -- in larger sizes they look much more sleek.

Country
    United States
    State
    Massachusetts
    City
    Beverly

Quote Originally Posted by KentW View Post
    A version from Ralph Lauren, found on eBay:

Those shoes are man traps!

paper clip

Country
    United States
    State
    va
    City
    Saluda

I am getting a pair. I complained about them in the previous post, but these baby's will be mine by March.

I'm having trouble with the card reader for my digital camera. I'm trying to post pics of mine that I took this week. Maybe this weekend.

Country
    Canada
    State
    Ontario
    City
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Duck
    I am getting a pair. I complained about them in the previous post, but these baby's will be mine by March.
    Getting what? Did I miss something you posted?

DocD

Country
    United States
    State
    va
    City
    Saluda

I have decided to get a pair of the Churchs Albert Slippers. In your previous post I commented that I thought they were overpriced. I was looking at all of the pictures and it hit me like a ton of bricks, "These are good looking". I want them.

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Newport News

The photo wouldn't paste, but here's a link to a pic of Melissa C. Morris's husband "Chappy" wearing his Alberts with his tux: http://bp0.blogger.com/_JpgLSEqMFfs/...h/IMG_0012.jpg

(They're from Stubbs & Wootton, featuring the ubiquitous skeleton motif...dancing, in this case.)

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Alexandria

Above, is Frank wearing patent leather pumps with bows?

JB
    A helm to grasp;
    A course to steer;
    A port to seek.

-Henry Adams

Country
    United States
    State
    Nc
    City
    Mhc

It certainly appears that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tradly View Post

JB
    Quote Originally Posted by enecks View Post
    Must have been a quick change between scene's on Dean's TV show because if you look closely he's also got a satin stripe up the side of those black trousers.

Country
    United States
    State
    Delaware
    City
    newark

S&H monogramed about a year and a half old. Returned the 1st ones due to craking of the silver. It happend to this pair as well. Not the quality I'd have expected for paying what I did but they have a look of age about them that I like.

What I did like about S&H was the customer service and Utta. A lovely lady who warned me of ordering a 9. My usual size. And to go with a 8.5. She was right.

Sorry for the crappy images and dusty slippers. I have a pr of Grenson slippers from Paul Stuart that are wonderful. The quality is much better than the S&H as is the last. Someone on AAAC some three years ago gave me the lead on them. Stuart had them on sale for a hundred bucks. I'll post photos of them in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tradly View Post

JB
    Quote Originally Posted by enecks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
    Must have been a quick change between scene's on Dean's TV show because if you look closely he's also got a satin stripe up the side of those black trousers.
    Cheap trivia: Sinatra did a show with Cont Basie and his orchestra at the Sands in 1966 that has been made into a record. A slammin' record. During Frank's reparte with the audience he asks "how do you like my Mary Jane's" and references the little bows they have on the instep. He is likely talking about these exact shoes. Frank is the coolest.
    Pronunciation: \'lŁsh\ Function: adjective Etymology: French, literally, cross-eyed, squint-eyed, from Latin luscus blind in one eye Date: 1819 : not reputable or decent

Country
    Sweden
    State
    Všrmland
    City
    Všrmland

Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    The photo wouldn't paste, but here's a link to a pic of Melissa C. Morris's husband "Chappy" wearing his Alberts with his tux: http://bp0.blogger.com/_JpgLSEqMFfs/...h/IMG_0012.jpg
    Sorry, was there a man in that photograph somewhere that I was supposed to notice something on :icon_smile_wink:
    Last edited by Earl of Ormonde; November 17th, 2008 at 08:43.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast