Default Mr. Ned virgin no more...

Had my first foray into custom clothing (outside of MTM shirts) yesterday. I ordered a single-breasted, two-button blue blazer with side vents, a ticket pocket and workable buttons. I was helped by Vahram @ Mr. Ned - who has made a number of suits and coats for a good friend of mine.

Picked out a 'stock' go-to all-year-round weight wool (might not work in the dead of winter or the blistering heat of the subway station in August). There were other varieties - wool / cashmere blends, different feels and weights, etc - but I really want to start with something basic.

This Blazer is running me $700 + tax (the workable buttons ran me $50 extra)... Hoping for a good experience this time - if I'm pleased with the results and service I'll have a suit made next year. Then a heavier weight Blue blazer - wool / cashmere blend. Then a second suit, some pants - I think you're getting the picture. Will let you know how things work out - should have a scond measuring / fitting in about 2-3 weeks..

Congrats and good luck, Mike. Please post pics when all is said and done.

I think you were prudent to pick a jacket rather than a costlier full suit as your "toe in the water" item. "Test before rollout" is a good idea generally.
    PJC in NoVa

Default Mr. Ned virgin no more...

If this was the starting you should start with blazer or a jacket

I think all the fora would benefit from a detailed photo account of their Mr. Ned product. I still haven't handled a finished product sufficiently to sway my wallet.
    Yet another starving grad student... wearing English shoes.

I won't be providing photos, but I tried them some time ago. I had hoped to use Chan CMT to use up some extra cloth that I didn't thing was worth going full bespoke on. When Chan stopped doing that, I tried Mr. Ned. I had two fittings (not counting the measuring) but was unable to pick up the final product. I hope to get it this week. Things seemed pretty good at the last fitting but you never can really tell until you have the final product in hand. I am expecting a reasonably well fitting machine made suit. I was measured by Louie and Varham did the fittings. I thought he was pretty attentive and knew what he was doing. I don't expect it to compare to hand made bespoke, but it seemed like a sensible option for what I wanted to do. If it works out, I will certainly use them again, though not as a substitute for better bespoke. If I have much more to say either way about the fit or make after picking it up, I will post.
    Last edited by dopey; October 8th, 2007 at 09:40.

I have two suits from Mr. Ned, and for the money I think you're getting a fantastic product, especially if, like me, OTR suits on sale seldom if ever fit.

As expected, the suits are not as nice as my suit from Des Merrion, but at about 1/3 the price, it makes a lot of sense at times.
    ------------
    cpac

Country
    American Samoa
    State
    NY
    City
    ny

Quote Originally Posted by cpac View Post
    I have two suits from Mr. Ned, and for the money I think you're getting a fantastic product
    +1. Good people at Ned.

I will post pics in about 4-6 weeks when my Blazer is done...

Country
    United States
    State
    NY
    City
    Brooklyn

Quote Originally Posted by dopey View Post
    I won't be providing photos, but I tried them some time ago. I had hoped to use Chan CMT to use up some extra cloth that I didn't thing was worth going full bespoke on. When Chan stopped doing that, I tried Mr. Ned. I had two fittings (not counting the measuring) but was unable to pick up the final product. I hope to get it this week. Things seemed pretty good at the last fitting but you never can really tell until you have the final product in hand. I am expecting a reasonably well fitting machine made suit. I was measured by Louie and Varham did the fittings. I thought he was pretty attentive and knew what he was doing. I don't expect it to compare to hand made bespoke, but it seemed like a sensible option for what I wanted to do. If it works out, I will certainly use them again, though not as a substitute for better bespoke. If I have much more to say either way about the fit or make after picking it up, I will post.
    Any updates?

Yep. Wearing the suit today. I don't have time for a full review now, but will try to do one later or come back and edit this one.
    Here is the summary:
    Decent fitting suit and an ok make. There is no mistaking the suit I got for real bespoke. If you enjoy bespoke for the craftsmanship and extra attention to fit, this suit won't make you happy. I certainly don't get the same pleasure out of wearing this suit as I do from "real" bespoke. On the other hand, I would recommend them in a second for someone who just wants a decent looking well fitting suit. It is very good value for the money and an excellent product for a sane person.

In my case, the specific issues are a little too much padding resulting in a dishonest shoulder as my taste goes. But I gave them leeway to do what they thought best here, so this might be my fault. More disappointing is the blockiness of the shape in the back. Good bespoke follows the contours in three dimensions yet, with good balance, hangs straight. This just hangs.

I might try them again and if I do, I will be more specific about the shoulders. I am not so optimistic about the remainder of the fit issues as asking for too much might be courting disaster. We'll see. If they can improve at all on the first suit, I will certainly be pretty pleased. But I am not excited enough to go running back just now. It depends on how badly I want to get rid of some old inexpensive cloth.