Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by Langham View Post
    ^ 'Saturday Night & Sunday Morning' is one of my favourite films, Shaver. It's an excellent documentary of a point in time, an industrial landscape now largely lost or transformed, rather like the working class characters it portrays.

Similar in some ways but less good are 'Room at the Top' (Laurence Harvey's northern accent is a bit odd) and also 'A Kind of Loving'. 'Hell is a City', with the excellent Stanley Baker, is another of that era that I like (set in Manchester I believe) but I think I may have mentioned it on this thread some time ago.

Hell is a City was indeed filmed in and around Manchester, details here: http://www.british-film-locations.co...Is-A-City-1960 Many of these locations remain extant and are familiar to me. I have never gotten around to watching the film but at your prompting have now added it as high priority to my rental list.

Last edited by Shaver; March 23rd, 2017 at 08:55.
    Ephesians 5:16 (NKJV)

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)
    Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    New York

The Rutles?

Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by Langham View Post
    ^ 'Saturday Night & Sunday Morning' is one of my favourite films, Shaver. It's an excellent documentary of a point in time, an industrial landscape now largely lost or transformed, rather like the working class characters it portrays.

Similar in some ways but less good are 'Room at the Top' (Laurence Harvey's northern accent is a bit odd) and also 'A Kind of Loving'. 'Hell is a City', with the excellent Stanley Baker, is another of that era that I like (set in Manchester I believe) but I think I may have mentioned it on this thread some time ago.

Slothful as I am, having watched this movie mere days after your recommendation, it is just now that I remember to comment.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, the themes of promiscuity, sexual violence, desperate criminality and squalor are terribly well realised, unflinchingly so at times, for a film of it era. Some lovely cameos too, especially a younger Warren Mitchell as the travelling salesman.

Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

Recently I was gifted with a copy of this outstanding once forgotten, but recently discovered, masterpiece "Privilege" by Peter Watkins - famously also responsible for the banned BBC docudrama 'Wargames'.

Such a prescient movie, a story which seemed beyond incredible upon its original release yet is now decidedly representative of the status quo in 2017. I urge all fans of thoughtful cinema to watch this and marvel at Watkins' disturbing prophetic vision, no less unsettling now that it has come true.

Country
    England
    State
    City
    Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B. Scott Robinson View Post
    The Rutles?

"In the midst of all this public bickering, "Let it Rot" was released as a film, an album, and a lawsuit. In 1970, Dirk sued Stig, Nasty, and Barry; Barry sued Dirk, Nasty, and Stig; Nasty sued Barry, Dirk, and Stig; and Stig sued himself accidentally. It was the beginning of a golden era for lawyers, but for the Rutles, live on a London rooftop, it was the beginning of the end."

Last edited by Shaver; June 2nd, 2017 at 02:58.

Country
    United States
    State
    Oregon
    City
    Oak Grove

If I ever manage to find a collection of the complete "Two Rodney's" I'm all over it.
    Half fashion plate, half slob, but aspiring to 'half country squire, half Fl‚neur'

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Welcome to the Cyber-Shire

"You have to care.
    Only in that way can you look
    As if you do not."--Flanderian

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456