Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trench Coat Etiquette Questions

Fellow Trads:

Please help settle this debate with a fellow Tradster.

1) Trench coat collar -- popped or not?

2) For those who rarely actually tie their trench coat belts into a knot (I assume the consensus is that no one should actually use the belt as a belt, i.e., not using the belt holes and buckle), what do you do with the belt -- just let it hang, tie it in a knot behind you, or something else?

Thanks.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Unless it is storming and necessary to do otherwise, the collar should not be popped...it just looks affected! My trench belt gets tied.

Coat collar almost never 'popped' unless the rain is horizontal. The belt is either tied, with cooler temps, or just hanging when it warmer. Oh and it seems like I rarely button it too.
    Cheers
    "The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life." ~ Samurai Katsumoto

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    New York

My old trench I had the same problem with the belt, tie it sometimes, let it hang and get in the way others.

I finally gave up and got a sb raincoat sans belt.

That'll solve the problem.
    - EVT
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." - Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    Ė George Washington , 1789

Collar popped if the weather warrants it, belt tied, rather than buckled. If the jacket is open, I guess my belt just sort hangs/gets tucked in a bit somewhere.

For goodness sakes, do up the belt properly using the buckle. It isn't a bathrobe. Small details like that seperate the well dressed man from the trench wearing masses, with their rubber soles, loosened ties and unbuttoned jackets.

And for the record, I have never and will never use the slang term "popped" to mean flipping up a collar, nor do I flip up my collars unless it is very cold or my neck is at risk of being sunburned.

Country
    United States
    State
    Vermont
    City
    Montpelier

Or you could try The Executive:

KRAMER: So how'd you come up with the idea for the belt-less trench coat?

MORTY: I came home one night, and I tripped over one of Jerry's toys. (Jerry smiling points to himself and nods with cards in his hands) So I took out my belt just to threaten him, and I got a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

KRAMER: How serendipitous.

MORTY: So that night I cut off the loops and the Executive was born.

KRAMER: Mmm

http://www.geocities.com/r_stroup/seinepis.html

Country
    United States
    State
    Vermont
    City
    Montpelier

I'm not sure this is a question of etiquette. I would refer to it as a question of style.

Quote Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
    Or you could try The Executive:

KRAMER: So how'd you come up with the idea for the belt-less trench coat?

MORTY: I came home one night, and I tripped over one of Jerry's toys. (Jerry smiling points to himself and nods with cards in his hands) So I took out my belt just to threaten him, and I got a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

KRAMER: How serendipitous.

MORTY: So that night I cut off the loops and the Executive was born.

KRAMER: Mmm

http://www.geocities.com/r_stroup/seinepis.html
    Classic.

If the weasther demands, I'll tie the belt in front, otherwise, I'll either tuck the ends into the pockets (i never let them hang loose... too much danger of getting caught in a subway door, a revolving door or some other device designed specifically to absolutely ruin both your belt and your day) or, if I want to take the time, I'll double the belt around back and buckle it, a la polo coat. Collar up only in extremely wet, cold and/or windy weather.
    Train your eye in color, shape and balance, then train your brain to trust your eye.

Country
    United States
    State
    North Carolina
    City
    Boone

Wink buckle it!

If you don't buckle the belt, the grenades hung from the grenade rings on the belt will drag the belt out of the loops and you'll loose both belt and grenades! So always buckle the belt either in front or back.! Only wear the collar "popped" if you're a undercover agent in a mystery thriller.

Tom

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Floral Park

And wearing a fedora!

Country
    United States
    State
    Massachusetts
    City
    Beverly

Quote Originally Posted by fishertw View Post
    If you don't buckle the belt, the grenades hung from the grenade rings on the belt will drag the belt out of the loops and you'll loose both belt and grenades! Tom
    Hah! So true - once while driving, I had the strange sensation of my belt being forcibly pulled from my coat and sucked out the door of my car (unwittingly, I had shut the door on the belt and I caught on something on the road), leaving me with ripped belt loops and a now useless buckle on the floor!
    paper clip

Country
    United States
    State
    WV
    City
    Morgantown

Wink trench coat

Quote Originally Posted by paper clip View Post
    Hah! So true - once while driving, I had the strange sensation of my belt being forcibly pulled from my coat and sucked out the door of my car (unwittingly, I had shut the door on the belt and I caught on something on the road), leaving me with ripped belt loops and a now useless buckle on the floor!
    paperclip-
    Thank you for sharing your story. You have proven that the old verbage is correct that "the truth is greater than fiction"
    Last edited by mcarthur; September 19th, 2006 at 18:37.
    Mcarthur
    MMMM IV

MAC'S ALDENS FOR SALE Hidden Content

Mcarthur is "greater" than fiction. (wink)

A

Country
    United States
    State
    WV
    City
    Morgantown

Wink trench coat

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Mcarthur is "greater" than fiction. (wink)

A
    Allen-
    I appreciate your wisdom! Maybe I am a fiction but probably not I hope.
    Mcarthur
    MMMM IV

MAC'S ALDENS FOR SALE Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ice View Post
    For goodness sakes, do up the belt properly using the buckle. It isn't a bathrobe. Small details like that seperate the well dressed man from the trench wearing masses, with their rubber soles, loosened ties and unbuttoned jackets.
    I disagree about fastening the belt on an overcoat or trenchcoat - I think it looks much better tied in a knot.

To me, it looks overly fussy and fastidious to fasten the belt, the antithesis of style.

Cool Trench Coat Etiquette.....

Never "flash" unless you have an escape route, bail money and an ambulance chaser on retainer.

Don't trip on dropped trou.
    poppin' zits...
    'n puttin' it on a Ritzô

Country
    United States
    State
    Utah
    City
    Salt Lake City

Default loosing it

Um let me see if I'm understanding all of this. Paper clip is now the proud owner of an "Executive", which in the days of Seinfeld was considered a fictional coat, but now is an actual coat worn by our very own Paerclip.

Meanwhile, McArthur turns out to be a fictional member of our forum, or perhaps a person whose perception is larger than life.

Several other members of this forum are prancing around in trench coats and fedoras with their collars turned up, thinking they are part of a fictional spy thriller or murder mystery.

And lastly, Mr. Jamgood has changed his Avatar again, so as to disguise himself (now that the police are out looking for a threnchcoat clad flasher who meets his general description).

Am I loosing my mind, or does this all seem somehow normal to the rest of you???

I've never owned a trench coat, because I could not afford the all cotton kind with a camel hair lining that buttons out to become a bathrobe.

My Willis and Geiger bush jacket never had any grenade loops to worry about (I don't have much use for grenades these days anyway), so I always tied the belt in front. Anything else looked too hokey and pretentious, especially when I wore it with a Bombay Bowler (pith hat) and an ascot (and Pleated British drillcloth shorts with a ghurka style adjustable waist band).

Ah for the days when us wannabees could march around the campsite completely oblivious to what others probably thought of us...
    There's no such thing as a designer of menswear. It's only history.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    I disagree about fastening the belt on an overcoat or trenchcoat - I think it looks much better tied in a knot.

To me, it looks overly fussy and fastidious to fasten the belt, the antithesis of style.
    Do you do up your shoelaces? The belt on your pants? Do they look fussy and fastidious?

Look, style is personal. So what is fussy to one person may look elegant to another. And I don't believe in hard rules. Stillwaters wanted opinions, so I gave him mine.

But before you dedicate yourself to a lifetime of scrunched trenchcoat belts, do this test: stand in front of a mirror, tie your belt in a knot and look at yourself. Then do up the buckle and tuck in the excess belt, and look again. I bet when you see how much sharper you look with the belt properly done up, you will adopt that as your style. Most people have never actually done up their belt, so they don't know how much better it looks.

Most people have never actually done up their belt, so they don't know how much better it looks.
    You're not going to draw me in on this one. If I'm not going to button the coat I'm not doing up the belt. Doing up the belt reminds me of the one time I starched and ironed my khakis....never again - LOL
    "The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life." ~ Samurai Katsumoto

Country
    Sweden
    State
    Všstra GŲtaland
    City
    Gothenburg

The gentleman on the right certainly looks sharp. I say buckle your belt!

Do you do up your shoelaces? The belt on your pants? Do they look fussy and fastidious?

Look, style is personal. So what is fussy to one person may look elegant to another. And I don't believe in hard rules. Stillwaters wanted opinions, so I gave him mine.

But before you dedicate yourself to a lifetime of scrunched trenchcoat belts, do this test: stand in front of a mirror, tie your belt in a knot and look at yourself. Then do up the buckle and tuck in the excess belt, and look again. I bet when you see how much sharper you look with the belt properly done up, you will adopt that as your style. Most people have never actually done up their belt, so they don't know how much better it looks.
    I agree with ice here. Unless you're purposely going for a cavalier look, I think a trenchcoat looks sharper with the belt buckled.
    "Fortune favors the bold."

Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Minneapolis

Default Trench Coat

When I was in the Air Force, we wore a trench coat as our winter dress-uniform coat. (I believe London Fog won the contract. It was a decent product.)

If the coat was on, the collar was down, the front buttons were buttoned, and the belt was buckled. Period.

If I were to have a trench coat again, if it was merely cool out, I'd leave the collar down and let the belt hang. It it were cold out (I live in MN, remember; and, yes, there is a difference between cold and d*mn cold; when it is d*mn cold, I'd wear something warmer!), I'd wear the collar up and tie the belt.

Country
    United States
    State
    Minnesota
    City
    St. Paul

I throw my coat on, tie the belt and go. If I find the collar up later, I wore it popped. If not, I didn't. I'm usually heading straight to the car, so buckling the belt is a waste of time. More concern than this belongs only to a dandy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast