Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Trad Dog

Default The Trad Dog

If we can have a thread on the trad car, why not a thread on the trad dog?

My vote would be for the English Bulldog as a clear number one. Others for consideration would be a Springer Spaniel, an Irish Setter, and a Basset Hound.

Other thoughts?

2. Ask Andy Encyclopedia (Desktop - Inline 1)

Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Definitely a tie between a Labrador Retriever and a Golden Retriever. Or do as I've done and have both at the same time. They're awesome!

"I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone."
    - Edmund Burke

Greyhounds - and once a greyhound owner, always a greyhound owner.

My old soulmate, who sadly passed away recently:

[img][/img]

American Cocker Spaniel, my best friend!

A black or yellow lab, of course. Although a terrier is acceptable too.

If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation. - Xenophon

"You are symptomatic of the lazy, unimaginative management which is driving this country
    on the rocks!" - Mr. Bridger, "The Italian Job"

Country
    United States
    State
    New York
    City
    Bayside

Bassett Hound

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Long Beach

I think we had a "Trad Dog" thread before this.

I think the most Trad Dog would probably be an English Setter as you hunted the coverts for grouse and woodcock with your grandfather's (or great-grandfather's) side-by-side Parker, Fox or L.C. Smith.

For Southern Trad, make that a Pointer and the quarry bobwhite.

Country
    United States
    State
    CA
    City
    Berzerkeley

Folks back home in the states just got this little guy, my Dad's Christmas present. His name is Duke:

I'm not sure we Quakers will put him to his original hunting use, but he will be the traddest dog yet and retrieve cigars and books when he's older if I have any say in the matter.

-----------------------------------
    "It is an old trick. The playgoer who does not like dirty plays is denounced as a prude; the music-lover who resents cacophony is told he is a pedant; and in all these matters the final crushing blow administered to the man of discrimination is the ascription to him of a hidebound prejudice against things that are new because they are new." -Royal Cortissoz
    Last edited by Curator; December 5th, 2014 at 15:18.

Curator,

Duke is the cutest dog I've ever seen! Love his nose. What breed?

quote:Originally posted by Curator

Folks back home in the states just got this little guy, my Dad's Christmas present. His name is Duke:

I'm not sure we Quakers will put him to his original hunting use, but he will be the traddest dog yet and retrieve cigars and books when he's older if I have any say in the matter.

"It is an old trick. The playgoer who does not like dirty plays is denounced as a prude; the music-lover who resents cacophony is told he is a pedant; and in all these matters the final crushing blow administered to the man of discrimination is the ascription to him of a hidebound prejudice against things that are new because they are new." -Royal Cortissoz

www.williamlcoleman.com

Country
    United States
    State
    Illinois
    City
    CHICAGO

If we're being really Trad about it, the two breeds that came over on the Mayflower were the Mastiff and the English Springer Spaniel.

Country
    United States
    State
    CO
    City
    Golden

If you wanna be trad, you've gotta have a large dog that slobbers a lot and gets hair everywhere. We grew up with golden retrievers and Irish setters.

These days, we have two dumb-as-a-box-of-hammers English Mastiffs -- that's 400 pounds of non-stop slobber and tails that generate enough energy to knock over my 8 year old son!

quote:Originally posted by Dan the Man

If we can have a thread on the trad car, why not a thread on the trad dog?

My vote would be for the English Bulldog as a clear number one. Others for consideration would be a Springer Spaniel, an Irish Setter, and a Basset Hound.

Other thoughts?
    I have to second this ... as long as the English Bulldog is a sassy lass named Tory (Victoria).

Country
    UK
    State
    London
    City
    London

quote:Originally posted by misterbowles

Rhodesian Ridgeback.
    You, sir, must be deluding yourself if you think that breed to be the most trad.

How about a pug? Aren't they lovely? Come in different colours, too.

Newfoundland

Forget about the Trad dog. How about the Trad cat? Maine Coon perhaps...[:p]

Regards, Jason

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Miami

quote:Originally posted by Mahler

How about a pug? Aren't they lovely? Come in different colours, too.

Country
    United States
    State
    CA
    City
    Berzerkeley

quote:Originally posted by BostonScott

Curator,

Duke is the cutest dog I've ever seen! Love his nose. What breed?

Thanks, he's a Golden Retriever. Apparently "the pick of the litter" so the parents get some significant sum of money if they let him keep his reproductive capabilities to create a next generation of Dukes

Last edited by Curator; December 5th, 2014 at 15:18.

quote:Originally posted by jlmwrite

If you wanna be trad, you've gotta have a large dog that slobbers a lot and gets hair everywhere.
    Indeed, we always had cocker spaniels, the black and white kind. That way there was both light and dark hair to show up on everything.

Gents one and all,

The "trad" dog is the black Labrador!!More specifically the stocky strain that came from England. They were referred to as "water dogs" and in the 1800's was brought to GB by some of the arisocracy. From there thy returned to North America. Look in the back of a Gundog magazine and you will find various and sundry breeders.

Also, to show your campassion as a gentleman, I recommend adopting two small mutts from the local humane shelter. Regardless of how much you pay for a top breed of Lab, the mutts will win your heart as well; they will all get on nicely.

Bill

Mollydog

Maybe it's just that dogs in general are trad?

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
    But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
    For the apparel oft proclaims the man.

I will add my vote for: The Great Dane. A noble and huge animal. Looks great running around an estate (or just my parents' backyard in the burbs). I grew up with them and they are lovely and elegant dogs.

a Chessie

a Newfoundland

or

an English Pointer(for Southerners)

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Knightly

Maybe it's just that dogs in general are trad?
    No, No. - there are some breeds that are clearly un-Trad. For instance, all breeds of dogs that were developed to be lap dogs for aristocratic ladies in the 16th through 19th centuries. My uncle, whom I otherwise love, owns a Yorkshire Terrier - and my respect for my uncle is diminished consequently - very un-Trad. Those hairless mexican dogs? Un-Trad. I think almost all Trad breeds must have started out as British developed breeds; German breeds ‚Äď very un-Trad, in my opinion. There are some breeds that are so pathetic, useless, and effete, that honestly, one is better off getting a nice fat lazy cat, which at least is low-maintenance, doesn't yap, and is far less embarrassing to own.

I concur with the above - Black Labradors Retrievers are the most Trad. A breed that has dominated the field trial circuit since the 1950s, is bred by the Queen of England in her Sandringham kennels, is wonderfully intelligent, adaptable, good natured, and beautiful. You're as likely to see them in the field as guiding a blind person. They are the perfect size to jump into your Jeep Grand Waggoneer without assistance, love water and are at home in your boat or swimming with you. Undeterred by freezing weather, they will bound through snow and break through ice to swim for a retrieve. They are a rugged, adaptable, - they are the sack suit of the dog world. Not as "pretty" (to some) as a Golden Retriever, but far more emotionally sturdy and significantly less maintenance (seen many Golden Retrievers in the field lately?)a Labrador allows a Trad to appear "outdoorsy" (along with his mallard/pheasant embroidered cords and Barbour jacket) even if he has no idea what a duck blind is and can't tell an over-under from a side-by-side.

The Labrador has the advantage of shedding profusely and giving the Trad home a "dog patina" and a wonderfully lived in look. If you own a Lab, people will know the minute they walk into your house. Everywhere I go, I carry a bit of my beloved Labrador with me in the form of dog hairs attached to my suit.

Those stocky "English" style Labs don't seem to do well in the South, they lumber and they overheat. And, if you look at pictures of English Labs prior to the 1950s, one is hard-pressed to find a picture of one that looks like the "modern" English style Lab (see: http://personal.pitnet.net/ldoll/lab...%20history.htm). I think the Duke of Buccleuch would not approve of these over-bred luggards.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast