Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trad dogs?

Country
    United States
    State
    New Mexico
    City
    Albuquerque

I'm with you. I'd rather just take home a dog from an animal shelter whether it's "trad" or not. Unfortunately, I can't even have a cat in this apartment without an exorbitant pet fee.
    "Don't be a snob about the way you dress. Snobbery is only a point in time. Be tolerant and helpful to the other fellow ó he is yourself yesterday."
    -Cary Grant

Country
    United States
    State
    Maryland
    City
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
    My wife and I have owned 3 boxers over the last 17 years. We really love the bull breeds. But they're not for everyone.
    Always loved Pit Bull type dogs: APBTs, AmStaffs, didn't really care for the American Bullies, but they're kind of growing on me.

Wife and I have an English Bulldog, had him for two years now getting a female Pit next. Love the bully breeds, especially Pit Bulls, they'll literally die if it makes you happy. Wonderful breed, as long as they have dedicated humans.

Country
    United States
    State
    Georgia
    City
    Atlanta

While not the first dog which comes to mind, surely a Pekinese must be rather trad - after all, Doctor Doolittle has one!

AiscDwdCMAA54bJ.jpg
    (Pictured: "Cupcake" the possibly trad dog, and the decidedly non-trad (alas) girlfriend )

Country
    United States
    State
    Nevada
    City
    Gardnerville

Default Or not so traditional dogs

This photo accompanied an article in the local newspaper regarding Hobbes' retirement after her 8 years as my police dog partner. She never got used to anyone pointing anything as us; even a camera. She's growling at the photographer as this was being taken. When she retired, people asked if I was going to get another dog to work with. That thought never crossed my mind. She was my constant companion during her 14 years on earth and was one in a million. I'm pretty sure that dogs go to heaven. If they don't, when I die, I want to go where they are. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her.

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Alexandria

I think someone sold you a bear!!

Country
    Sweden
    State
    Sweden
    City
    Balsta

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post

This photo accompanied an article in the local newspaper regarding Hobbes' retirement after her 8 years as my police dog partner. She never got used to anyone pointing anything as us; even a camera. She's growling at the photographer as this was being taken. When she retired, people asked if I was going to get another dog to work with. That thought never crossed my mind. She was my constant companion during her 14 years on earth and was one in a million. I'm pretty sure that dogs go to heaven. If they don't, when I die, I want to go where they are. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her.
    Wonderful picture. I'm sure wherever she is she is fine.

Trad dogs? Used to be the English Labrador in black, at a pinch a Jack Russell - both had to know their trade, be unobtrusive and perfectly behaved.

I'm owned by a pair of elderly Labradors, a handsome black English chap of beautiful lines who hasn't an ounce of retriever instinct in his body, and a rangy chocolate American dude who was a brilliant, gutsy, indefatigable, retriever.
    So far so trad.

I also share my home with a young Rottweiler - I sense your collective shudder. He, though, is a wonderful dog, good around horses, pleasant to other livestock, friendly to strange dogs, even likes cats - stand-offish with people until he is properly acquainted. Doesn't need a leash, walks perfectly to heel, even in the city. He finds it impossible to be unobtrusive he IS 130 pounds after all - and is an absolute babe magnet!

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Dhaller View Post
    While not the first dog which comes to mind, surely a Pekinese must be rather trad - after all, Doctor Doolittle has one!

AiscDwdCMAA54bJ.jpg
    (Pictured: "Cupcake" the possibly trad dog, and the decidedly non-trad (alas) girlfriend )
    Very cute.

Country
    United States
    State
    CT
    City
    New Haven

My GSD is certainly not trad since he ate several very tradly shoes that did survive first owners, thrift stores, ebay sellers, me but not him. Thankfully does not like cordovan, likes suede most then soft calf. Argh!

Country
    United States
    State
    New Mexico
    City
    Albuquerque

From trad dogs (sigh) to just dog discussion! This is refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhaller View Post

AiscDwdCMAA54bJ.jpg
    Heartwarming picture. Beautiful girlfriend.

My other half doesn't dress trad either, but that doesn't bother me. She's quite stylish in her own right.

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post

Thanks for the story. I take it you were in the Navy prior to being a police officer?
    "Don't be a snob about the way you dress. Snobbery is only a point in time. Be tolerant and helpful to the other fellow ó he is yourself yesterday."
    -Cary Grant

Country
    United States
    State
    Nevada
    City
    Gardnerville

Jovan,

Actually I wasn't in the Navy. I was at a Starbucks on a break while at work one day when two RN Officers rode up on BMW motorcycles. They were on a self guided tour of California. Since I also ride a BMW, we chatted for a bit. I had no plans the next day so we met for breakfast and I showed them the scenic route from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite and had a grand time. We exchanged business cards and went our separate ways. The cap arrived at the police department about three weeks later with a note telling me theyíd show me the sights next time I get to England. Stand up lads, they were.

Cheers,

David

Country
    United States
    State
    New Mexico
    City
    Albuquerque

I'm a dunderhead. Just noticed it said "Royal Navy". My mistake.
    -Cary Grant

Country
    UK
    State
    London
    City
    London

Default Company Dog

Screen shot 2012-01-10 at 12.35.39.jpg
    My dog - Working Cocker!

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    San Diego

BTW there's a new biography about Rin Tin Tin, believe it or not. The author, a woman who is quite intelligent and articulate, was interviewed on public radio yesterday. The interview and bio are quite extensive.

Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Rochester

Had a lot of dogs in my life but my current one is special and not just as a hunter. Hate to think of him crossing the rainbow bridge but it happens, and way too soon. Where ever that bridge goes I want to go too when it is all said and done.

He's a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever here as a pup, he is now 8. Kept getting under foot while I was reloading so I put him up on the bench in an old keg of Red Dot gunpowder.

dba I'd highly recommend not getting into a drinking contest with those RN Officers (or enlisted men) when you go, trust me. My head still hurts just thinking about it LOL.

Country
    United States
    State
    Nevada
    City
    Gardnerville

Quote Originally Posted by ColdIron View Post
    Had a lot of dogs in my life but my current one is special and not just as a hunter. Hate to think of him crossing the rainbow bridge but it happens, and way too soon. Where ever that bridge goes I want to go too when it is all said and done.

He's a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever here as a pup, he is now 8. Kept getting under foot while I was reloading so I put him up on the bench in an old keg of Red Dot gunpowder.

dba I'd highly recommend not getting into a drinking contest with those RN Officers (or enlisted men) when you go, trust me. My head still hurts just thinking about it LOL.
    Afternoon ColdIron,

What a great photo! Awesome looking pup. That MEC reloader reminds me of all the time I spent in front of an old MEC 600 Jr single stage during the 80's. I'm not a hunter or a competition shooter but I loved getting together with friends in a safe field with a couple of boxes of clay pigeons and a trap. Cheap entertainment!

BTW: Thanks for the advice. I’m too old for competition drinking anymore. The occasional beer or glass of Crown Royal is it for me.

Country
    United States
    State
    CT
    City
    New Haven

DiegoJan2012.jpg

Here is the gentleman that converted 10 inch Wolverines to clogs.
    Last edited by catside; January 11th, 2012 at 06:26.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Long Beach

My dog is a Japanese Tosa, which is not very tradly. However, he does have a couple of collars made from Horween's best number 8 shell. (Seriously, he does!) Does this make him the canine equivalent of a tradly wannable iGent?

Country
    United States
    State
    NC
    City
    Charlotte

Don't know if beagles are tradly, but mine lived a grand life for 15 years.

Eastbound and down

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

^^
    If Beagles are not the perfect breed of dogs, as pets, working dogs, what have you, Trad or otherwise, then they are pretty darn close to it! Thanks for sharing that wonderful photo with us, Bandit44.

Country
    United States
    State
    Michigan
    City
    Ann Arbor

Quote Originally Posted by Flanderian View Post
    I think it's more likely statistics than coincidence. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure that Labs are #1, and Goldens either #2 or #3. Having some familiarity with Labs, and been dad to a wonderful Golden, I can assure everyone that there are good reasons for both breeds' popularity. Goldens are beautiful dogs with an exceptional tempermant that makes them almost idiot-proof with kids. They are generally inteligent, and some very much so. And depending on the dog, they can be great athletes or field dogs. They do shed a lot, and unfortunately, genetic based illnesses are the norm. Mine was one of the best conversationalists I've ever encountered.
    My best, and dumbest, dog was a Lab. He died a somewhat early death after living with arthritis for a few years. When I have children, named Muffy and Biff or course, I'll probably get them a Lab.

Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Minneapolis

I've got a Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier and the fact she does not shed keeps my suits very happy. But it doesn't hurt that she has a great personality and most people think she's a teddy bear :icon_smile_big:

Country
    United States
    State
    VA
    City
    Fredericksburg

^^

+1 on the SCWT. Loved ours while he was with us!

Now have a miniature Australian Labradoodle. No shedding and a big dog personality in a small package.

mP

Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Minneapolis

mP I am always amazed how few people know the Wheaton bread, most think she is a goldendooble.

JLibourel where were you able to get the Cordovan collar from, this would be very tempting.

Country
    United States
    State
    California
    City
    Long Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    mP I am always amazed how few people know the Wheaton bread, most think she is a goldendooble.

JLibourel where were you able to get the Cordovan collar from, this would be very tempting.
    The shell cordovan collars were made for me by my dear friend Greg Kramer of Kramer Handgun Leather. I am sure his operation could make a similar collar for you, but it probably would be fairly expensive. The shell is laminated to regular horsehide for the necessary strength.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast