Thread: Trad dogs?

Country
    United States
    State
    Missouri
    City
    Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by swb120 View Post
    Terriers are true trad...Wire Fox terriers (remember Asta in the "Thin Man" series?), Welsh, Irish, or Airedales. Highly intelligent, fiercely loyal, great with kids and non-shedding, Wire Fox terriers have won more Best in Show titles at Westminster than any other breed.
    +1 on that. Our Cairn is like a child to me. He drives me nuts some days, but I love him unconditionally.
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Country
    United States
    State
    CA
    City
    San Francisco

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=37592

Just in case anyone would like to read the Trad Forum discussion from awhile back...

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by TheWardrobeGirl View Post
    fast forward to about a week or so ago, I was in a situation where a guy wouldn't leave me alone and my dog came to my rescue (he put himself between us, paced back and forth and wouldn't let the guy get near me...in 6 years, I have NEVER seen him act that way) - I think they sense when there is REAL trouble or potential real trouble and act accordingly - I have faith in my guy
    Good boy! :icon_smile_big:

Country
    United States
    State
    New Jersey
    City
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhound986 View Post
    http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=37592

Just in case anyone would like to read the Trad Forum discussion from awhile back...
    Is wolfhound986 as in Irish Wolfhound?

Got to see the Wolfhound at a local show that won Best in Group at Westminster perhaps 6 or 7 years ago. What a huge, gorgeous, perfectly put together Wolfhound he was. Very tightly knit, which these giant dogs usually aren't. He was magnificent and knew it!

I own two dogs, one is definitely more "trad" than the other, but I love them equally. I have a boxer that I adopted from Carolina Boxer Rescue when he was 9 months old and a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog purchased from a reputable breeder who is also a family friend. The Swissy is the one I think would be considered more "trad".
    The lab is definitely the most popular dog amongst the general public and I would say that holds true among the trad demographic as well.
    "And because Auburn men and women believe in these things I believe in Auburn, and love it."

The original post in this thread is more than three years old. Seeing it bumped in the fashion forum made me misty for the old days.

Country
    United States
    State
    Washington
    City
    Vancouver

I think any dog you love is the right one. For me personally it's my 3 yr old german shorthair pointer who is faithful, will run all day long, sleeps as well, is curious and always wants to know what you're up to.
    jrandyv
    Portland, Oregon

Country
    United States
    State
    Hawaii
    City
    Honolulu

WASP 101 does not have a trad dog. :icon_smile_big:

Country
    Australia
    State
    ACT
    City
    Canberra

Quote Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
    So, what your saying is that 90% of all people are mentally defective!
    Not at all, but dog breeds go through fashion cycles and are given as cute puppies who then grow up into lumbering hulks and are either abandoned or its off to the pound for 'Dead Dog Walking.' Sorry if you want a dog all well and good but be prepared to give them the time they require.

Country
    United States
    State
    Florida
    City
    Harmony

Quote Originally Posted by jrandyv View Post
    I think any dog you love is the right one. For me personally it's my 3 yr old german shorthair pointer who is faithful, will run all day long, sleeps as well, is curious and always wants to know what you're up to.
    +1...and well said!

Country
    United States
    State
    new york
    City
    new york

Quote Originally Posted by The Louche View Post
    I have a labradoodle. She has a great disposition and she doesn't shed, but I'm going to have to say she is pretty dumb. But I love her dearly. We didn't pick her out b/c she is a "designer" breed either. We picked her b/c she was the only one of her litter that didn't know enough to pay attention to where she went to the bathroom. Shes one helluva dog.
    It takes many generations of selective breeding to "create" a breed. The labradoodle isn't there yet. Just as children of the same mother and father will not be genetically gifted with the same intelligence, your beloved dog may not be as intelligent as it's litter mates. This obviously did not make her less lovable.

Country
    American Samoa
    State
    Region
    City
    Mandatory

A Treatise on Good Manners and Good Breeding

Jonathan Swift

GOOD manners is the art of making those people easy with whom we converse.

Whoever makes the fewest persons uneasy is the best bred in the company.

As the best law is founded upon reason, so are the best manners. And as some lawyers have introduced unreasonable things into common law, so likewise many teachers have introduced absurd things into common good manners.

One principal point of this art is to suit our behaviour to the three several degrees of men; our superiors, our equals, and those below us.

For instance, to press either of the two former to eat or drink is a breach of manners; but a farmer or a tradesman must be thus treated, or else it will be difficult to persuade them that they are welcome.

http://www.bartleby.com/27/9.html

Country
    United States
    State
    CA
    City
    San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Flanderian View Post
    Is wolfhound986 as in Irish Wolfhound?

Got to see the Wolfhound at a local show that won Best in Group at Westminster perhaps 6 or 7 years ago. What a huge, gorgeous, perfectly put together Wolfhound he was. Very tightly knit, which these giant dogs usually aren't. He was magnificent and knew it!
    ^^
    Flanderian, belatedly answering, yes, as in Irish Wolfhound, my tribute to a fine, intelligent, loyal breed.

As seen annually at St. Patrick's Day parade in SF:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object...HMU951.DTL&o=4

To make this clothing-related, in this picture, an Irish Wolfhound with a human dressed in Yves St. Laurent, September 2008 Men's Vogue:
    http://www.mensvogue.com/arts/movies...uillaume-canet

Only the ancient breeds if you please. My favorite is know in the USA as the Anatolian Shepherd Dog:

Country
    United States
    State
    FarNorCal
    City
    Red Bluff

My Catahoula is on his last legs and I was curious what everyone else on here had. I will get my kids another Cataloula. I hope it becomes a family tradition for generations to come.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Cur

Four, count 'em, four longhair standard dachshunds reside at Cuffwood Estate.

Me first dog is a rescue - jack russell/beagle/chihuahua mix. The second is also a rescue, but she's 100% pit. Guess which one is the nice one (unless you're another dog and you growl at her or her brother)?

Country
    Sweden
    State
    Všrmland
    City
    Všrmland

Irish Wolfhound, Irish, English or Gordon Setter, Pointer, Irish Terrier, Vorsteh, Weimaraner, Scottish Deerhound, Kerry Blue, Airedale Terrier, Boxer.

Country
    United States
    State
    MN
    City
    Eagan

As a youngster my faithful companion was a Lab/Dane mix. Imagine a tall lab or a slightly short Dane built like a linebacker that would jump 6-7' foot fences for fun (her brother would dig under fences for fun). She would protect me and my friends from anyone who wasn't our age (older kids and parents), loved to swim, and had a penchant for retrieving the neighbors laundry.

Country
    United States
    State
    Pennsylvania
    City
    Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron in Allentown View Post
    I have never understood the obsession with "pure" breeds of dogs. Eugenics stinks in any form.
    Yes I know this is old, but it is also outrageously ignorant. Those "eugenics" (when properly done) help maintain the health and viability of the dogs. Cross-breeding presents large problems in terms of health issues, temperament, and genetic stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Irish View Post
    Only the ancient breeds if you please. My favorite is know in the USA as the Anatolian Shepherd Dog:
    If we're going for ancient, then my Siberian Husky is rather tradly :p

"Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you."

If we're talking really "tradly," then the American Pit Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier take the cake.

Used to be among the most popular US breeds, but declined after WWII. Many celebrities have chosen this wonderful breed over time, including Fred Astaire, President Roosevelt, Mary Tyler Moore, Thomas Edison, Brad Pitt, Ann Bancroft, President Woodrow Wilson, Humphrey Bogart, John Stewart and Bernadette Peters, just to name a few.

They're everything a dog should be: loyal, intelligent, protective when necessary, and great with kids - which is why it's known as the nanny dog here in the state (I think the Staffordshire Terrier has the name nickname in the UK).

Unfortunately, they have a bad rap due to abusive owners who raise and torture them with the hope of making them fight and kill.

Besides my Pit mix, I've adopted a German Shepherd mix, a Malamute, and a German Spitz Klein. The shep was a doll, the Malamute a big boob, and the Spitz has a dominating personality, but is terribly nice.

Heidi my shep/APBT:

Fritz the German Kleinspitz:
    Last edited by Luftvier; February 27th, 2010 at 13:37.

Country
    United States
    State
    LA
    City
    New Orleans

Preppy trad honors in my book go to the Black Lab and Golden retriever (extra points for an english golden) if only for power of numbers. Also tradly, beagle, Jack Russell Terrier, any other color lab, and my childhood dog and the softest dog in the world, the soft-coated wheaten terrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftvier View Post
    If we're talking really "tradly," then the American Pit Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier take the cake.
    Used to be among the most popular US breeds, but declined after WWII. Many celebrities have chosen this wonderful breed over time, including . . . Brad Pitt, Ann Bancroft, . . . . John Stewart and Bernadette Peters, just to name a few.
    DING DING FAIL. Celebrities like all kinds of lame breeds - that doesn't make them Trad. All retrievers and likely hounds and terriers qualify.

Country
    United States
    State
    New Mexico
    City
    Albuquerque

It makes me wince how we can call a dog breed, make of car, orange juice brand, waffle iron, etc. trad... but that's just me.
    "Don't be a snob about the way you dress. Snobbery is only a point in time. Be tolerant and helpful to the other fellow ó he is yourself yesterday."
    -Cary Grant

IMO a dog should be a companion, not an accessory... but that's just me. :icon_smile_wink:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast